Bangkok Bank - International Access To Accounts

I have banked long time with BBL but never required internet or mobile access.

Applying and, getting internet access to my account will I be able to Log On and carry out transactions including International tran*sers *rom locations outside, Thailand?

I was able to do this with KTB until they 'killed' their E Banking earlier this year.

I anticipate remitting ThB to UK daily due to £10k limit.

Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Test it out, use a VPN for UK and try and do some transactions. Obviously will need your roaming set up for your Thai sim

I'm fairly sure a friend of mine based temporarily in the UK during Covid used his account with SCB to make transfers to Thailand and pay his Thai bills - utilities etc.I think he did it from his laptop and without a VPN.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Thanks, but I don't know how their system works now.

Were I in UK and using a VPN set to Thailand with a phone using a Thai SIMM set *or roaming is a OTP involved?

If you have never used their online or app banking, you will have to register with a user name & password, as you would with any other bank.

Then you can simply log in, or is it log on, from anywhere and do your business.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Thanks, but I don't know how their system works now.

Were I in UK and using a VPN set to Thailand with a phone using a Thai SIMM set *or roaming is a OTP involved?

i was thinking more to test it before leaving Thailand, but too late it seems

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

YES. As long as your 'f'' key is working!

???? It isn't on this keyboard hence the substitute *

Right. I shall go to my local branch and endure the queue. I see I can download the application in advance.

Thanks or the help.

• Love It 1

as others have said above, just get the app on your phone; personally i find the app is more flexible than ibanking (on pc).

I am backwards and forwards between Thailand and Europe on a regular basis - and i have never (so far!) had any issues using the BBL app either in or outside Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

???? It isn't on this keyboard hence the substitute *

Right. I shall go to my local branch and endure the queue. I see I can download the application in advance.

Thanks or the help.

Your keyboard doesn't have an "F" on it? Exactly how much of a discount did you get on it? I sure hope none of your other accounts have an "F" in the password.

12 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

f you want OTP need to enable your Thai sim for roaming.

No you don't. Why do people post stuff that is untrue? Is 90% of the stuff posted here bollards (think I know that answer).

SMS messages do not need roaming enabled and that's how you get OTPs with BBL.

I control my BBL account almost exclusively from outside Thailand  to make local payments and OCCASIONALLY have to enter the SMS OTP  (to enter a new payee for example).

You don't need a VPN. Saying that you need to get a Thai mobile number registered at a LOCAL branch (at least I did)

As to international transfers, that is a completely different matter. Whether you are in or outside Thailand, it will depend on the BBL rules (and no doubt government rules).

Because (as my training as a bank employee for a bank in another country tells me) you will start to hit AML flags (or should do). Transfers of a certain amount and particularly REGULAR transfers should show up as red-flags. You will have some explaining to do as to where the money is coming from (or should do if it is an ethical bank).

Edited by nglodnig

14 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I shall go to my local branch and endure the queue

If it's anything like my BBL local branch - yep endure the queue. You can download the app but it won't do diddly-squat until they register you (and your THAI mobile number).

20 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

If it's anything like my BBL local branch - yep endure the queue. You can download the app but it won't do diddly-squat until they register you (and your THAI mobile number).

To clarify -

Your Thai mobile number works outside Thailand.

No need to have the carrier turn on Roaming.

No need for a VPN using the app outside Thailand.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2

I was just in Cambodia and Vietnam for an extended period of time and 3 months ago I was in the United States for 3 weeks. I could access my Bangkok Bank online account pay bills transfer money buy airplane tickets and use the ATMs without any issues at all I should add the scanning and paying by QR code is not available in Cambodia I was told it was in Vietnam but it didn't work for me other than that it was brilliant

Edited by hereforgood

2 hours ago, nglodnig said:

No you don't. Why do people post stuff that is untrue? Is 90% of the stuff posted here bollards (think I know that answer).

SMS messages do not need roaming enabled and that's how you get OTPs with BBL.

I control my BBL account almost exclusively from outside Thailand  to make local payments and OCCASIONALLY have to enter the SMS OTP  (to enter a new payee for example).

You don't need a VPN. Saying that you need to get a Thai mobile number registered at a LOCAL branch (at least I did)

As to international transfers, that is a completely different matter. Whether you are in or outside Thailand, it will depend on the BBL rules (and no doubt government rules).

Because (as my training as a bank employee for a bank in another country tells me) you will start to hit AML flags (or should do). Transfers of a certain amount and particularly REGULAR transfers should show up as red-flags. You will have some explaining to do as to where the money is coming from (or should do if it is an ethical bank).

Well Mr. Know-it-all it didn't work for me when I went back to the UK for 4 months!

As others have properly noted, bank apps (at least my Bangkok Bank and SCB apps) work outside the country with no issues at all. Mine have worked in a dozen countries. 

You need to keep your Thai phone number active so you can get an SMS with a one time password (OTP). It doesn't require any special steps to receive an SMS. You should NOT turn on data roaming unless you don't mind being shocked with a big bill. 

Once you download the app, you will need to go to the bank with your passport and bank book so they can set it up for you. While you're at it, make certain you also have access to the website setup. 

Starting on our US trip within a week. I fully expect to be accessing my Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank accounts over the internet, usually through the hotels' wifi access. My "Bill Payments" and "Funds Transfer" accounts are already set up at the banks and long used via the internet access here in Thailand. I did the same on my last trip in 2015 (acknowledge things can change).

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Your keyboard doesn't have an "F" on it? Exactly how much of a discount did you get on it? I sure hope none of your other accounts have an "F" in the password.

Elderly laptop. It has an F but it is not working. Last year a helpful AN poster told me a way to 'substitute' using a couple of keystrokes but I can't remember how. Will have to buy an external keyboard and try that.

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Elderly laptop. It has an F but it is not working. Last year a helpful AN poster told me a way to 'substitute' using a couple of keystrokes but I can't remember how. Will have to buy an external keyboard and try that.

you can use it just for 'f'

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-the-on-screen-keyboard-osk-to-type-ecbb5e08-5b4e-d8c8-f794-81dbf896267a#:~:text=Go to Start %2C then select Settings > Ease of Access >,screen until you close it.