Bangkok Bank - International Access To Accounts

19 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Applying and, getting internet access to my account will I be able to Log On and carry out transactions including International tran*sers *rom locations outside, Thailand?

Why not ask your bank? They KNOW, whereas some here will say what they THINK.

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Elderly laptop. It has an F but it is not working. Last year a helpful AN poster told me a way to 'substitute' using a couple of keystrokes but I can't remember how. Will have to buy an external keyboard and try that.

online keyboard !!

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Incorrect, there are plenty of examples of people not receiving OTPs abroad without turning on International roaming (not data)

You are stating International Voice Roaming be turned on and  not International Data, to receive SMS?

Edited by JimmyJ

42 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

You are stating International Voice Roaming be turned on and  not International Data, to receive SMS?

Mobile phones have 3 separate services: Voice, SMS (text), and Data (internet).

In theory it is possible to enable/disable international roaming for each separate service but in practice it's up to the telco. 

My personal experience from Australian telcos is that it's all 3 or nothing at all. There's why you have to make sure to turn off Mobile data when you are connected to a foreign network.

I haven't roamed with a Thai SIM card yet however if I was planning to and wanted just SMS recieve-only roaming then it's something I'd check with the telco(s) before I left. 

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, keithcresswell said:

I can use my Bangkok bank online in the UK, however they won't allow me to transfer THB to the UK. I had to use an ATM.

How about setting up a  Dee Money account. You can then make e-tranfers from BB to Dee money with your Thai SIM card number.  Setting up a Dee money account is pretty straight forward although they wanted additional photo ID. My UK driving licence proved useful for the first time. 

On 3/20/2023 at 8:19 AM, JimmyJ said:

That's correct - voice (and SMS) use mobile networks and that's what you need for OTPs etc.  Data uses the internet and is not required.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

Your keyboard doesn't have an "F" on it? Exactly how much of a discount did you get on it? I sure hope none of your other accounts have an "F" in the password.

similar debacle.....my banking site says to press ANY key to begin, but i cant find the ANY key...advise please   ????

On 3/20/2023 at 3:22 PM, scubascuba3 said:

The above is technically a part of USSD, which is an old and a basic capability which is delivered via the GSM stack. So you effectively have 2 signals on your phone which you see at the top. The "GSM" signal and the data signal. And again, USSD is a basic capability to allow for the delivery of effectively text based interactions from any device, old dumb candy bar phones of the latest iPhone or ANDROID. So you do NOT need a data signal / plan for USSD. You just need to connect to the GSM Phone network. 

Here you go 

What is USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data)? (techtarget.com)