Would one be safe in Pattaya ??

banglay

I long ago stopped wearing anything with any visible logo as i don't want to attract any attention, i don't want to be a walking billboard.  I just want to mind my own business and be left alone from those who might compliment me or criticize me or be drunk and want to get into some kind of argument.  Seems to me that shirts etc covered in logos  are for little kids, not adults.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Go ahead, nobody cares.  The Russians here are trying to maintain a low profile in LoS, and don't want to be noticed nor deported.

Just don't go wandering any Russian bars and expecting to be praised though.

Remember that many believe they are winning, as well as ridding the world of NAZIs

Edited by Iron Tongue

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of my War of Terror T-shirt with George W Bush.

My Thai gf was wearing it once at the time when the USA invaded Iraq. She received lot of bad looks from all those holy Americans... 

Ha ha ! Reminds me of this classic !

Borat Final.png

Edited by realfunster
Picture problems
  • Thanks 1

Coming from broader perspective, Thailand is a very nationalistic country (since the 13th century as a kingdom) with a focus on its unity of political messenging. Especially when it comes to international tourism and trade, international political neutrality seems to be desirable despite what might seem to be at the cost of freedom of expression. 

Public broadcasting foreign political ideology (even by waving or wearing a foreign flag*) might be seen as a conflict to such unity. What this may translate to is whether the Thai people and/or government authorities perceive such a personal display as a threat to the nation's reputation and well-being. What individual foreigners may feel about such displays would be irrelevant.

Public (including posting on social media actively monitored by the Thai military) freedom of expression in Thailand, especially by foreigners, does have limits perhaps not found in other, ie., democratic, countries. If one comes to Thailand to enjoy the Thai-style peace offered by the nation, why invite possible hostility? Chill and enjoy yourself.

* display of the British flag ???????? on clothing, etc. in Thailand (online Thai web sites it is shown as indication of the English language) seems common without any apparent national conflict. This may be due to an active political role of Britain since the 17th century in Asia and specifically in the Thai/Siam Kingdom. It is part of the nation's cultural history. Few other nations (ie., France) have made such an impact. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

Why not!!!! Stand up for your beliefs, no matter what!!!!  I wore it in Burma and got chased throught the jungles, but I will NEVER take it off.   I wear my Taiwan shirt in China, and I've been beaten over 984k times yet I must support the oppressed!!!!

If nobody does anything, how can this world get better?  It can't, and that's why it doesn't!!!! 

984 times? Wow! That takes some beating.????

Again ... ????

... if I saw that, I wouldn't have a clue what that meant, along with most people here.

Actually I'd think the printer got the colors wrong, and it was suppose to be some kind of "can't we all just get along" shirt failure.

Why beat around the bush, just wear a shirt that says " F RU"

Oh, never mind, I know why ... same reason people type on forums things they won't say to someone's face.

Edited by KhunLA

17 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?  What have the Russian civilian visitors here done to justify your upsetting them?

Have you got a week? I've answered this before, so I won't repeat myself. They are all individually and collectively responsible for what their criminal government are doing in Ukraine, in the name of the Russian people. 

Nonsense, none of them are "responsible for the Russian government's actions anymore than you are individually responsible for some of the stupid actions of your own government...unless you have information about some of those individuals in Thailand.

• Love It 1

14 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What about you paying for Putin's invasion by buying Russian oil & gas? 

I didn't buy it and yes, idiot politicians, who thought they could befriend Putin, made Europe, and many other countries dependent on Russian energy.  Not a good decision. 

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, none of them are "responsible for the Russian government's actions anymore than you are individually responsible for some of the stupid actions of your own government...unless you have information about some of those individuals in Thailand.

Stupid actions by politicians that are democratically elected and genocide committed by an authoritarian regime, are two entirely different situations, as you should well know. The nonsense comes from you mate. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

Under that logic both you and me are responsible for this "weapons of mass destruction " war .

Unless you are very young I think you may be deluded we went along with Americans need for revenge even though aimed at wrong country 

Utter rubbish.  I spent years in the UK military, getting ready for a war with the USSR, who were subjugating other Nations in pursuit of World domination, the West were not.  I see nothing in this so called Russian Federation that leads me to think that anything has changed in that evil mind set.  The Russian baby boomers and later generations, many of those sitting on Thailand's beaches now,  have done nothing to change this situation, but have been instrumental in its continuance, therefore they have been directly responsible for this continuing evil. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

Why not!!!! Stand up for your beliefs, no matter what!!!!  I wore it in Burma and got chased throught the jungles, but I will NEVER take it off.   I wear my Taiwan shirt in China, and I've been beaten over 984k times yet I must support the oppressed!!!!

If nobody does anything, how can this world get better?  It can't, and that's why it doesn't!!!! 

Rambo,is that you?

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That reminds me of my War of Terror T-shirt with George W Bush.

My Thai gf was wearing it once at the time when the USA invaded Iraq. She received lot of bad looks from all those holy Americans... 

Good Bush Bad Bush funny T-shirtYou mean this shirt?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

Stupid actions by politicians that are democratically elected and genocide committed by an authoritarian regime, are two entirely different situations, as you should well know. The nonsense comes from you mate. 

Yes, I know that but that was not what I was posting about.

I'm glad that you accept that you are as equally responsible for your government's actions as the Russian visitors are for their governments actions, i.e. neither you nor they are individually responsible for a country's actions as you claimed the Russians in Thailand are.  That's what I posted.

• Love It 2

On 3/21/2023 at 10:29 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Out of interest, why would you wear it?

Most people won't recognize it.

Maybe Russian will recognize it and some will agree and some wont. Do you want to discuss this with them? Or do you want that they feel bad about their leader?

And maybe people from Ukraine will recognize it. Do you think they will say: Finally someone supports us, everybody else likes Russia? Or what?

What's the point?

The point is he wants to wear it

On 3/21/2023 at 10:30 AM, BritManToo said:

Is there a t-shirt that shows support and solidity for the people of Russia?

(Asking for a friend)

yep    !   ......   it's in the bathroom hanging on the wall  .....    it's called the sh_t paper t-shirt.    :cheesy: 

• Haha 1

I BEG YOU - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

Thailand is neutral and a lovely place to come and get away from the world.  One of the great things about Pattaya is so many cultures and nationalities (mostly) getting on and 'live and let live' in this crazy wonderful city.

To wear something that is deliberately provocative shows complete disregard for the peaceful status quo here, and disregard for Pataya's citizens who want to keep it that way.  Please don't preach about standing up for what you believe in - this is a holiday resort - keep your beliefs outside.

Come, enjoy, live and let live.  Don't provoke.  It only takes a few lamebrains to start a big snowball effect.  That would be bad.

Thankyou for understanding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Utter rubbish.  I spent years in the UK military, getting ready for a war with the USSR, who were subjugating other Nations in pursuit of World domination, the West were not.  I see nothing in this so called Russian Federation that leads me to think that anything has changed in that evil mind set.  The Russian baby boomers and later generations, many of those sitting on Thailand's beaches now,  have done nothing to change this situation, but have been instrumental in its continuance, therefore they have been directly responsible for this continuing evil. 

Well I assume you were not old enough to serve in 2nd world war so you either practised your military skills in Ireland or perhaps the Falklands ? 

Navalny and people with similar courage are few and far between I think it is very difficult to blame ordinary Russians for inactions when most of us believe our own government. 

As a British subject I am proud to be British ( but more so being Scottish) but not so blind that I can not look at history where we were not the good guys.

Lot of dubious tactics used by British army and government in many instances with Ireland being a prime example. 

Of course as a " military man" you can write it off as collateral damage or we can write a song Sunday bloody Sunday 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I didn't buy it and yes, idiot politicians, who thought they could befriend Putin, made Europe, and many other countries dependent on Russian energy.  Not a good decision. 

Nonsense, you are all individually and collectively responsible for how your criminal government has colluded with Russia to fund the war in the name of the British people.  Just because cowards like you have escaped to Thailand , it doesn't absolve you of your responsibility.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/21/2023 at 7:32 PM, champers said:

You would be risking your safety wearing that shirt. It only takes one Russian to take offence and what then?

If you really want to fight against the Russians you could always go and enlist with the Ukranian army.

Good post. Perhaps all the posters that are raging against Russia should put their boots where their opinions are and go join the Ukrainians on the front line.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

People are not big on politics here. They just ignore it for some reason. Seems taboo.

I one had a discussion with someone about American politics and it felt odd, like I needed to watch what I was saying before I said it. I think it stems from the defamation law culture.

• Sad 1

On 3/26/2023 at 12:37 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Good post. Perhaps all the posters that are raging against Russia should put their boots where their opinions are and go join the Ukrainians on the front line.

Everyone has a right to opinion, particularly about what Russia is doing in Ukraine. Does it disturb you that people are "raging against Russia"? It's as if you think they have no right to?

On 3/26/2023 at 7:37 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

It isn't solely what is happening to Ukraine, which is bad enough. It is destabilizing Europe and worrying the USA too.....