Patong nightlife takes a hit after underage prostitution scandal

snoop1130

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

what nonsense ... I don't believe one word of this story.  Why would they be hit hard & lose 100 million. BS.

I agree - I was on Bangla (and Soi Sea Dragon) last night and it was just as busy as a week previously, especially bearing in mind that it was a Monday. Why would the average visitor give a hoot about a place being raided?

Having said that, Phuket is quieter than a month ago which, bearing in mind the time of year, is hardly surprising. Maybe the businesses that are complaining expect peak season to last all year?

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A bit of feel good story I think.... First of all a foreign owned bar??? In Thailand almost impossible unless you have the " cooperation" of Thai nationals and RTP. A  100 million loss because of this raid??? How come??? I have more questions, but no answers..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I agree - I was on Bangla (and Soi Sea Dragon) last night and it was just as busy as a week previously, especially bearing in mind that it was a Monday. Why would the average visitor give a hoot about a place being raided?

Having said that, Phuket is quieter than a month ago which, bearing in mind the time of year, is hardly surprising. Maybe the businesses that are complaining expect peak season to last all year?

I agree with your observations. However, closing strictly at 1am has hurt business there. Big crowds empty the bars and gather on the beach or the few places that manage to stay open at 1am.

In a strange move, they even banned the street bar pole dancers for a short time, although they were finally allowed to operate again last night. This would not affect all businesses, but closing at 1am has hurt many.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

In a strange move, they even banned the street bar pole dancers for a short time

I wondered about that - a "dancer" who tried to solicit a LD from me said that she wasn't allowed to dance on the bar that night. She was dressed in the usual skimpy uniform but oddly, a couple of girls in civvy clothes did get up and sway gently to the music.

What strikes me is that the staff and businesses don't have any explanations for these constant silly restrictions and just seem to happily accept them - the longer I spend in Thailand the more I am becoming the same.

• Like 1

If Thailand wants to keep children out of danger, they should start with the children selling flowers in the bars. Recently I saw a five year old girl come into a bar. She had a burn on her arm which she claimed was done by her mother for not selling enough flowers. She also touched one of the women working in the bar inappropriately.

Have any of you seen drunken patrons of a bar fondle these children? Don't think it happens?
What provokes me is these children (boys and girls) do not hide. They are walking from bar to bar in plain sight. They could easily be seen by any law enforcement personnel and removed from the area.

Keeping children out of bar areas would illustrate to the world that Thai authorities are sincere about protecting children. News stories about underage sex workers or employees are widely published. They provide good publicity for the police. Whereas, exploitation of child labor does not seem to receive equal publicity. These flower children who sell at bars and pubs cover both areas of exploitation - labor and sexual abuse. Double the reason to put this business out of commission.

I suspect a lot of the energy behind this crusade against underage sex workers by the Thai police is to be sure Thailand receives a good report from the American sponsored agency that monitors Trafficking of People (TIP). The agency rates each country  according to its efforts to stop domestic trafficking. They release an annual report and rate each country.

When the new government came to power in 2014, I believe Thailand received level three. They have since risen to a level 2. I understand The US will recommend sanctions against countries who they feel are not making adequate effort to combat human trafficking, not to mention publishing the name of suspect countries around the world. 

On 3/22/2023 at 5:58 AM, ikke1959 said:

A bit of feel good story I think.... First of all a foreign owned bar??? In Thailand almost impossible unless you have the " cooperation" of Thai nationals and RTP. A  100 million loss because of this raid??? How come??? I have more questions, but no answers..

Try reading the article. It will help with your confusion.

He says all nightlife venues in the area have now been ordered to close by 1.00am, meaning businesses have taken a significant financial hit in the past week.

Why not name the country where this foreigner is from?

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

what nonsense ... I don't believe one word of this story.  Why would they be hit hard & lose 100 million. BS.

Could very well be true as a lot of men will avoid being in such places that are tard with "child sex". Just imagine having a beer in a place and then a police raid, being scooped up only to find there are underage sex workers with words like "Child Sex" being used. What a devastating nightmare. I personally would avoid like the plague!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BritScot said:

Could very well be true as a lot of men will avoid being in such places that are tard with "child sex". Just imagine having a beer in a place and then a police raid, being scooped up only to find there are underage sex workers with words like "Child Sex" being used. What a devastating nightmare. I personally would avoid like the plague!!!

The kind of places that "might" have underage girls can be spotted a mile off - along Bangla there are none that I've noticed, but in the side-sois there are some very dodgy-looking places, particularly along the sides of Soi Sea Dragon. I find them extremely easy to avoid.

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2023 at 8:16 PM, steven100 said:

no kids to have sex with, so no customers ????

same as if McD ran out of burgers or StarCrap, out of coffee ... why bother going.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, London Lowf said:

The kind of places that "might" have underage girls can be spotted a mile off - along Bangla there are none that I've noticed, but in the side-sois there are some very dodgy-looking places, particularly along the sides of Soi Sea Dragon. I find them extremely easy to avoid.

And yet, one made the news: 

"It’s understood two suspects were arrested at the bar on Bangla Road, where police discovered minors were being employed as sex workers."

12 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

In a strange move, they even banned the street bar pole dancers for a short time, although they were finally allowed to operate again last night. This would not affect all businesses, but closing at 1am has hurt many.

Perhaps the new "yellow and red card" system has tourists too afraid to enter the field of play.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

If you were to check other threads in this Phuket News forum you would find that he is Swiss.

But he is still unnamed and his face is blurred out to make indetification easier.

Edited by nglodnig

11 hours ago, nglodnig said:

But he is still unnamed and his face is blurred out to make indetification easier.

The poster I replied to didn't ask for names or pictures.

His name is Ronny, see the OP.

Edited by Old Croc