TIME Magazine Lists Phuket and Isan Among World’s Greatest Places for 2023

snoop1130

Honestly dont know why some people are on this forum, love Thailand, Love Phuket why do so many people visit and like me keep returning, has so many great beaches and places that are not crowded and i have travelled all over Thailand.

Also have soft spot for Hua Hin .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

I think Bangkok is the only place worth living full time

With respect, it is a matter of personal choice. I would never, ever live in Bangkok with its concrete jungle. I was born in the UK Oxfordshire countryside and cities like London and Birmingham were not my scene. So, when I lived in Thailand for 20 years, the country bumpkin land of Lanna and Isaan were my choice, both being very friendly and scenic. I only visited Bangkok for the British Embassy/Passport Office or flying out from DMK or BKK.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, it is a matter of personal choice. I would never, ever live in Bangkok with its concrete jungle. 

If not for the pollution, I could easily live there.  But would have to be near one of the 'green areas' that allows dogs.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Does't matter what they say. Issan and Phuket. What a BS.

I think because of a lack of Informations and objectivity.

Look. At Phuket island the first experience is a rip off for the transportation from the airport.

In Issan on an, corner the, point at you and call you "farang" insteed of "khon tang chard".

That is totally disrimination.

Time Magazine go back to school.

Farang isn't meant to be derogatory, once they know your name they will use it, nobody in my village refers to me as the farang, if I have a foreign visitor that person will be referred to as the farang that lives at Davids house until they have been introduced and know the name of that person. Isaan people are open and friendly and farang are generally highly regarded if they aren't fully paid up butt holes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It said " most visited" not best, have they taken into consideration its modern transport system? 

Have they mentioned the Motorbike & Taxi MAFIA?

I rest my case your honour !

I went there 2 times for a reason and never again.

".......those who venture to this off-the-beaten-path region of Thailand teeming with rice fields are rewarded with national parks, temple ruins, and Michelin-recommended restaurants."

In my wife's region in Isan you are hard pressed to find a restaurant of ANY kind!!!

Mind, it is teeming with rice fields - they got that part right!

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, it is a matter of personal choice. I would never, ever live in Bangkok with its concrete jungle. I was born in the UK Oxfordshire countryside and cities like London and Birmingham were not my scene. So, when I lived in Thailand for 20 years, the country bumpkin land of Lanna and Isaan were my choice, both being very friendly and scenic. I only visited Bangkok for the British Embassy/Passport Office or flying out from DMK or BKK.

"......it is a matter of personal choice."

Well said! Myself, I prefer a "half way house" that isn't "busting at the seams" where taxi drivers, girlie bars and restaurants are ripping you off, but somewhere you can have a quiet drink at a bar, and a decent meal at a fair price.

For that, for the most part, you need to be away from places like Pattaya, Phuket, and Bangkok - maybe one of the smaller tourist resorts?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Spock said:

I lived in Phuket way back in 1995 for 6 months and disliked it. Also had a car which allowed me to avoid dealing with the transport mafia. The water was pleasant enough but the island was expensive and the local Thais, as opposed to the restaurant and bar staff, were not particularly friendly. Can't see how it would feature high in this list. 

The further south you go, the less friendly the ' Thais' become...

23 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Phuket???..dont kidding me. If youre honest: One of the most overcrowdet Touristdestination in the World....a no go Place????

Phuket can be very overcrowded.

Have you ever stopped to think why it is overcrowded with tourists?

On 3/24/2023 at 9:20 AM, Kaopad999 said:

I'd take Isaan over Phuket any time of the week.
Phuket just full of scams,tourists and rip-off prices. 
Good or holiday maybe ? but not for long term living. 

locals  in Isann are far moe friendly.
Paceful life. 
3 or 4 nice cities to chose from.
Many beautiful ladies.
without scams and taxi maffia. 

The snorkeling in Isaan is pretty dire though…. 

• Haha 1

Interesting to see Luang Prabang listed. On my bucket list to visit as is the incredible scenery in much of Laos.

Wouldn't want to live there with their style of government, and the looming neighbor immediately to the north.

10 hours ago, BayArea said:

The further south you go, the less friendly the ' Thais' become...

What a silly statement!  There are friendly, and unfriendly, people to be found everywhere in Thailand. Obviously, the southern border region has security issues, but there are members on this forum living happily in the southern most areas of Thailand.

To attempt to denigrate the tourism areas of Krabi, Phuket and even Surat Thani with your ludicrous theory that people are more toxic than in the north is a statement about yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2023 at 7:17 AM, JimTripper said:

I don’t like Phuket much. The beaches are crowded. I’m not one of those guys that looks great with my shirt off, so strolling around in front of an audience of people on beach chairs is not something that makes me comfortable.

Thanks for sharing.

Pity the magazine didn't take just your personal foibles into account when compiling this list.

• Confused 1

On 3/24/2023 at 9:16 AM, Freddy42OZ said:

I think Bangkok is the only place worth living full time.   

Bangkok is one of the world's great ant most exciting cities. If city life is what you desire, I think all round it would tick most boxes.

I lived in cities all my life and couldn't even contemplate living in another in retirement. 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Bangkok is one of the world's great ant most exciting cities. If city life is what you desire, I think all round it would tick most boxes.

I lived in cities all my life and couldn't even contemplate living in another in retirement. 

It's a little overkill for me, coming from suburbia Philly, PA, USA, and 20 min convenient train ride into the city.  Philly pop. was 1.5 mill, 6 mill for metro area.

But the other metro areas, really don't offer much in TH.   

Enjoy the rural life, but wish Krung Thep wasn't so polluted, or I'd be there, or closer to.  Love being near the surf now, but we don't swim in it.

Edited by KhunLA