Thai Fruits

OK I know durian is very rich and not great for diets , what thai fruits are good for late night snacking?

I am tending to buy a few slices of watermelon and eat those late into the evening, anything better?

Fresh papaya is good for your tummy

:o Wiley Coyote

I eat over a kilo per day of fresh watermelon and pineapple, known in Chiang Mai as ba'tao and ba'ka'not. We think it's healthy, good fibre, lots of juice and vitamins. I also eat pomelo (sum-oh) and fresh red grapes. I'm supposed to be on a low calorie, low cholesterol, high fibre diet.

And let me be the first to say we're not discussing Thai katoey....

Hardly ever ate Fruit apart from the occasional Banana or Apple in the UK.

Never stop eating all sorts of exotic, inexpensive fruits here.....wonderful.

This is probably the thing my wife misses the most by living in the U.S. We get some good Mexican mangoes from time to time, but there is so much more she would like to eat.

OK I know durian is very rich and not great for diets , what thai fruits are good for late night snacking?

I am tending to buy a few slices of watermelon and eat those late into the evening, anything better?

I eat apples. I find apples more filling, easy to digest (don't keep you awake) and are not fattening.

When I was a kid in California, we had great fruit. But then they started picking it green, storing it in refrigerated trucks, and gassing it to cause it to appear ripe in the stores. For many years, I thought I had just lost my taste for fruit. Then I tried some organic, freshly grown fruit and began to realize how the industry had changed.

I am so sick of pithy apples; dry, sour oranges; flavourless strawberries; and bitter grapes - all the result of early picking and extended, refrigerated storage. This is one area where Thailand is vastly superior to my home. Vine/tree ripened fruit rocks! :o

Our neighborhood doesn't have pushcart vendors, but in so many places in Thailand, you can buy a plastic bag of freshly cut, chilled fruit off the street vendors. Never got sick from them, either. Ten baht, good price, good pickup as you go about your day.

I find the fruit from street vendors is of better quality that the fruit in the supermarkets (big c, etc).

I like jackfruit (forgive me, I don't know the Thai names for many of these), gnok (those spiky red balls), the pale brown balls that look like lichee but are sweeter than lichi and come with the stalks attached, guava (farang), rose apples, green mango with chili salt and sugar (mamuang), ripe mango when I can find it. Pineaples. Also, I like young coconut juice where they chop the top off with a machete and stick a straw in it!

Can you tell I love fruit? :o

).

gnok (those spiky red balls), the pale brown balls that look like lichee but are sweeter than lichi and come with the stalks attached,

rambutans

240px-Rambutan.jpg

and I am guessing longan (in Thai Lamyai)

240px-Dimocarpus_longan_fruits.jpg

For me its mangosteens. And mangoes. And finger bananas. and and and .... :o

My favorite fruit would probably be something my mother pronounced as "Lamoot." I couldn't say for sure how to really spell it, but a physical description would be brown peel, about the size of a kiwi (fruit) and a brown inside with a few large, elongated seeds. It's a very sweet fruit, but it also has some taste I can't quite pin down.

They're a bit rare and slightly more expensive than other fruits, but it's not really noticeable. A little-known must-try.

My favorite fruit would probably be something my mother pronounced as "Lamoot." I couldn't say for sure how to really spell it, but a physical description would be brown peel, about the size of a kiwi (fruit) and a brown inside with a few large, elongated seeds. It's a very sweet fruit, but it also has some taste I can't quite pin down.

They're a bit rare and slightly more expensive than other fruits, but it's not really noticeable. A little-known must-try.

Sapodilla in english. ละมุด in Thai

Sapodilla.jpg

Right now (at least in the north i.e. Chiang Mai), we're at the height of the lychee season. I grew addicted to the (very expensive) canned version in the UK - and I'm in 7th heaven to be guzzling the succulent fresh real thing at this time of year here. And I second the motion about the small (finger?) bananas - perfect for breakfast and snacking any time - the taste makes the ones I know from the UK seem like congealed glop...........

Durians are the best nutritionally, the carbohydrates being buffered by protein and fat to prevent insulin spikes. The orang utan's natural favourite also! Avocadoes good too, and the Thais are starting to grow their own now, although the fruit is not really sweet enough for their taste. Otherwise it's down to the supermarket for Aussie avocado imports.

Other fruits should be eaten in moderation due to high sugar levels, and lack of toxin-binding/eliminating fat.