So Sad

GinBoy2

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The only place in downtown Singapore that I recognise is the Britannia Club on Beach road, and only because it is opposite the Raffles Hotel.

It is now the SAF NCO's club and Beach Road is no longer at the beach but some distance inshore.

Some parts of RAF Seletar are left, but not much that I recognise. The yacht club slipway is still there and the old Sunderland hangar, but 389/390 MU has gone. The village of Jalan Kayu just outside the main gate is unrecognisable now.

Much of RAF Tengah is the same but the village outside the gates has disappeared. It is now SAF Tengah air base. 

Thanks for that.

I'm not sure but I think Seletar was where I got myself arrested for trespassing when I went to have a look at a couple of derelict fighter planes on the far side of the runway from the control tower. It's not like I snuk in or anything- just walked through the gate and the security let me pass. 

As I was with ANZUK they just called up the duty officer and I was taken back to Nee Soon where I was confined to barracks for the weekend.

Happy days back then, LOL.

Best memories I have from that posting are of SCUBA diving off Mersing with the base sub aqua club.

Also lucky enough to do security on Butterworth where they were flying Mirages. Used to take the ferry over to Penang to see Kung <deleted> movies.

• Thumbs Up 1