Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Surly immigration officers and long waits at the airport? : Region 2 IB chief faces investigation

webfact

14 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Bring in the army to staff the immigration points just as was done in the UK during recent border force strikes there. In the UK, the army did a much better job and got people through a lot faster. Or, they could develop e-gate for foreigners to use, just as is done in Singapore.

They still work on the cash payment system attached to the e-gates. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Apart from Nth Korea, is there any other country in the world, that hotels must report foreigners staying there to immigration? or even ones Family members staying with you on holiday? :coffee1:

Yes, Belgium for example, but reporting must be made to the local municipal office

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Suvarnabhumi is the absolute worst tourist country airport where delays for entering, and departing are concerned !

i have met many Thai travelers who are absolutely disgusted by the welcome queue they  get when arriving after a 12 to 18 hour journey. 
 What I really don’t  understand is the departure queues.  I have lately been warned it can take hours, with passengers running to get to their far off gates.  For gods sake, a look at passport , stamp out, should take a minute and problem travelers set aside . And the baggage check, leaving ? Cant they open more counters, they don’t look at the screens anyway, I’ve watched them many times. 

My vote for the worst tourist immigration service is Heathrow. Many officers but few doing any work. 

• Like 2

What's hilarious and it truly is that all this hubbabalu, hand wringing and gnashing of teeth. Oh the humanity!!!!

In US as well as dozens of other countries with functional Immigration services. There is no interest in checking hotels, length of stay, tickets out.

It's absolute stupidity if nothing else this could all be managed through technology. This is the 21st century last time I checked.

In my opinion they just need to let everybody in and then figure out how they're going to manage overstayers. In Indonesia overstay about us 50 a day.

Set up a detention center.

So weak, immigration. Barely a few M and can't manage, send reinforcements. Still can't manage.

Edited by Menken
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Apart from Nth Korea, is there any other country in the world, that hotels must report foreigners staying there to immigration? or even ones Family members staying with you on holiday? :coffee1:

Italy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

any other country in the world, that hotels must report foreigners staying there to immigration?

Yes, Cambodia via the FPCS (Foreigners Present in Cambodia System).  For reference:

The “FPCS” applies to all foreign nationals, including tourists.................record foreigner information when they arrive in Cambodia at any entry point. It will also record their data when they leave Cambodia. The onus for registration on the App or at a police station is not yours, it is the resposibility of your hotel/apartment/house owner/manager.

https://ips-cambodia.com/foreigners-present-in-cambodia-system/

My landlord registered me on the App using his smartphone.

Screenshot image 5

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

In 2019 we rented an Airbnb in China. After a couple of days the police were banging on the door. My wife wouldn't open the door, just phoned the owner and a bit later the police left. The owner phoned back and said it was sorted, he had forgotten to report that foreigners were staying in the apartment. He thought one of the neighbours had shopped us to the police.

As an independent traveler ie. backpacker in '88 in China we were only allowed to stay in one hotel in all cities, the rest were for tour groups only. 

• Like 2