Surly immigration officers and long waits at the airport? : Region 2 IB chief faces investigation

webfact

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I thought all the IO in the UK can speak Urdu 

English is not the most widely used language in the worls, spanish and Mandarin and neck in neck for that title. English is recognised as the language of business across the world.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:03 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

In the UK is worked, in Thailand many of the army cannot speak English, which could pose a problem especially if they work in immigration?

Yes; ad there many Bone Idle Soldiers as well that would rather be doing nothing as they are already doing !

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

English is not the most widely used language in the worls, spanish and Mandarin and neck in neck for that title. English is recognised as the language of business across the world.

English IS the most widely SPOKEN language in the world, with over 1.4 billion!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

• Thumbs Up 1

Investigation after investigation after investigation. If it not the RT cops it's the IB cops and it seems the investigations are by either cops ...or cops by any other name. Systemic problems that will never go away. Best ignored then. Just keep calm and carry on.

Not unlike, it's reported after a damning  investigation and report released there, the Met in London. Systemic there too. It seems things haven't changed since the gritty but fictional series The Sweeney. I haven't heard of mysogynistic cops here. Abusing, murdering cops ( plastic bags and other forms of torture leading to alleged miscreant's death). Anyone point me to systemic mysogynism in the cops here too? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

I have no idea where you got that info from!  Could you provide a link please.

I believe the actual figures are nearer these;

English       1,121M
Mandarin  1,107M
Hindi           698M
Spanish      512M

The 20 most spoken languages in the world in 2022 (lingua.edu)

On 3/29/2023 at 1:11 PM, Pdib said:

Yes, Belgium for example, but reporting must be made to the local municipal office

BS That is after your 90 day visa expires and you wish to change visa, nowhere is it stated within 24hr you must report a visitor.

On 3/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, Wake Up said:

My vote for the worst tourist immigration service is Heathrow. Many officers but few doing any work. 

Manchester must be worse ????

Am giving serious thought to flying into Heathrow (or Birmingham) on my next trip to the UK just to avoid that cluster<deleted>. 

what makes it worse is I pay (Business Class) to try to avoid spending hours in queues but this seems to mean nothing at Manchester, guy even tried to tell me I couldn’t use the fast track lane when I was flying back as I didn’t have a “Sticker” on my ticket (go to Qatar Desk, they draw a circle around the words “Business Class” on my ticket & I go back).., this after waiting 1.5 hours to check in some golf clubs… 

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 9:58 AM, realfunster said:

True, I am also fairly confident these up-country 'jobs' will be fairly flexible, quite relaxed and involve minimal work.

Sitting at a public immigration desk at BKK under the watchful eye of superiors and cameras for several hours a day is probably quite a culture shock.

As would be dealing with a load of grumpy foreigners just disembarked from their plane who don't show the proper 'respect' to these auspicious public servants.

And how many of these up-country immigration officers have enough English skills to deal with any problems they will have at Swampy.

Last time I come though had a problem with my re-entry visa, got took away from the booths to a desk in the corner .

I  was just glad I could speak Thai after a 6  hour delay with my in-board flight, and another 45 minuets sorting this RE visa out I was not happy, if that had been some one that could not speak Thai, or an IM officer with bad English skills ..........Welcome to Thailand.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:26 AM, brianthainess said:

Apart from Nth Korea, is there any other country in the world, that hotels must report foreigners staying there to immigration? or even ones Family members staying with you on holiday? :coffee1:

Myanmar

8 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

anyone been thru swampy lately to confirm this?....ill be there in a few weeks to navigate the gauntlet.....got my surly face on after crossing the planet

Leaving Thailand via Suvarnaphumi was a nightmare last week.

Entering Thailand via Suvarnaphumi yesterday was no problem.

Apparently many are leaving Thailand at the end of High Season, few are coming.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Leaving Thailand via Suvarnaphumi was a nightmare last week.

Entering Thailand via Suvarnaphumi yesterday was no problem.

Apparently many are leaving Thailand at the end of High Season, few are coming.

thanks is when im coming in--low season--hoping to fly out via CNX on dep......

11 hours ago, huyuli said:

Maybe just lucky, but my experiences  at Suvarnabhumi post-covid have been excellent. 

Not just lucky, I have had the same experience on several flights in and out post Covid. They are noticeably friendlier and quite pleasant..........maybe because I approach the desk with a smile. A little goes a long way and I think that is where the problem lies with most folk.

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2023 at 12:39 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

anyone been thru swampy lately to confirm this?....ill be there in a few weeks to navigate the gauntlet.....got my surly face on after crossing the planet

Always dependent upon how many flights arrived around the same time.

I flew in from Melbourne yesterday, from arrival in the terminal to leaving in a taxi - 36 minutes, would have been quicker if I didn't have to wait a few minutes for luggage.

Previous arrival in December was around 50 minutes with only a carry-on bag, anything under an hour to exit I'm ok with.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 3:48 PM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

English IS the most widely SPOKEN language in the world, with over 1.4 billion!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

True. Mandarin and Hindi being native tongues for many is irrelevant, as neither language is widely used around the world.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 8:27 AM, soi3eddie said:

Bring in the army to staff the immigration points just as was done in the UK during recent border force strikes there. In the UK, the army did a much better job and got people through a lot faster. Or, they could develop e-gate for foreigners to use, just as is done in Singapore.

if they start to use E-Gate like Singapore that means they will be loosing control to a machine and all bribes will be gone....sorry but will never happen with Thai mentality

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Clearly, there's not an intelligent or competent strategy [generally speaking regarding the related subject matters] - been of this nature for quite some time. Can't see any adjustable and working changes in the foreseeable future. A Thai thing.

Wiser folks will just accept what is and move on. 

7 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Always dependent upon how many flights arrived around the same time.

I flew in from Melbourne yesterday, from arrival in the terminal to leaving in a taxi - 36 minutes, would have been quicker if I didn't have to wait a few minutes for luggage.

Previous arrival in December was around 50 minutes with only a carry-on bag, anything under an hour to exit I'm ok with.

thanks im always carry on since im going thru 5 airports i just jump plane to plane...as once they lost my bags too...never again...add in fees as well