Surly immigration officers and long waits at the airport? : Region 2 IB chief faces investigation

webfact

On 3/29/2023 at 2:46 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Surly, rude, nasty and unhelpful,  these are all necessary character traits for all Immigration Officers, Worldwide.  The Thais would have to go some way to get to the unacceptable attitudes displayed by US, IOs, who are the World's worst. 

Found US immigration (land and air) particularly bad, and talking 20+ years ago. Departing security check lines aside, never had an issue at Suvarnabhumi, but imagine it’s a nightmare right now. 

55 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Found US immigration (land and air) particularly bad, and talking 20+ years ago. Departing security check lines aside, never had an issue at Suvarnabhumi, but imagine it’s a nightmare right now. 

Anyone got an update on outgoing delays? I'm leaving April 6th and would appreciate updated info. TIA

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Mavideol said:

if they start to use E-Gate like Singapore that means they will be loosing control to a machine and all bribes will be gone....sorry but will never happen with Thai mentality

There is E-Gate for Thais at Suvarnaphumi. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

How many times have you been asked for a bribe at passport control? I am willing to bet never. Just like I never have in 100's or 1,000's of journeys in and out. Weird that none of my friends have either.

But yeah, that's why we don't have them, because they'll lose all this imaginary bribe money that they're raking in at passport control.

nor u nor any of your friends have ever been asked a bribe/some change for coffee by IMO.... are u sure u are in Thailand, u and your friends must be the exception to Thai IMO rule,.... but I could be wrong 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

nor u nor any of your friends have ever been asked a bribe/some change for coffee by IMO.... are u sure u are in Thailand, u and your friends must be the exception to Thai IMO rule,.... but I could be wrong 

Worked here 28 years, never been asked. Don't know anyone else who has either. If you don't meet the requirements then some tea money might smooth the way, but for people who are legal then it never happens.

Again, as you were the one who said they don't have e-gates because they would lose bribe money at passport control, how many times have you been asked for a bribe to enter or leave the country? You missed that question last time. Must be a lot right to besmirch the entire country ("It's the Thai mentality" I believe you said)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Mavideol said:

At arrivals? Never, nor do I know anyone who claims such.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2023 at 2:41 AM, mijens said:

Debatable if worse than US

Agreed!  I've used multiple ports of entry in the US when returning home, and some are absolutely horrendous. In New York at JFK and Newark airports, I've spent well over an hour in the immigration queue, having to make a dash for connecting flights. I haven't entered through San Francisco in a few years, but there used to be a short immigration officer with a Napoleon complex that would wander around the queue area literally screaming at foreigners who most likely didn't speak English. As an American, I felt genuinely embarrassed that visitors were being treated this way when entering the country.

Immigration at Suvarnabhumi is a breeze compared to some US airports.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 4:03 PM, Danderman123 said:

what's the line for outbound passport control like at Suvarnaphumi now?

Did they get it under control?

Last report I read was very busy and slow......including security etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

My friend left for UK last night and called me from the lounge, apparently there was only one person ahead of him in the Priority (Business class) queue and he got through in 5 minutes!  I'm hoping for the same experience tonight but am still arriving at the airport 5 hours ahead of departure time. Happy to spend a bit longer in the lounge rather than fretting in the taxi or at immigration!

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

My friend left for UK last night and called me from the lounge, apparently there was only one person ahead of him in the Priority (Business class) queue and he got through in 5 minutes!  I'm hoping for the same experience tonight but am still arriving at the airport 5 hours ahead of departure time. Happy to spend a bit longer in the lounge rather than fretting in the taxi or at immigration!

Good to hear, I am sure it is depending on what time it is. I usually did well late evening too, but mid morning flights were bad. 

On 4/5/2023 at 8:38 AM, VBF said:

5 hours ?????  Wow… 

I’m flying regularly… & using the fast-track security / immigration lines… I never get to the airport more than 2 hrs before, it rarely takes me longer than 30mins from exiting a car to sitting down airside.

Regular immigration queues may be different of course,  they only look hideous about 2 of the 8 departures I’d usually take per year with arrivals looking ridiculously busy for about half of the times I’m arriving. 

I suggest 3 hours is plenty fir regular security / immigration lanes… & if in the event of potentially missing your flight, speak up, an official will help out. 

On 4/5/2023 at 6:37 AM, jacko45k said:

(Arrivals) Depends on time of year, day, time of day, any recent negative publicity against immigration etc… airline schedules which can seasonally alter (i.e arrival of a lot of wide bodied aircraft within the hour can cause mayhem immigration seem unable or un-wanting to predict by looking at scheduling info or even looking at l0 the previous weeks craziness etc)

A couple of weeks ago, Thurs afternoon it was relatively quiet….  The month before that arrivals was a complete zoo…

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

5 hours ?????  Wow… 

I’m flying regularly… & using the fast-track security / immigration lines… I never get to the airport more than 2 hrs before, it rarely takes me longer than 30mins from exiting a car to sitting down airside.

Regular immigration queues may be different of course,  they only look hideous about 2 of the 8 departures I’d usually take per year with arrivals looking ridiculously busy for about half of the times I’m arriving. 

I suggest 3 hours is plenty fir regular security / immigration lanes… & if in the event of potentially missing your flight, speak up, an official will help out. 

Just to update....

I got to SUV 5 hours before flight time - check-in opened 4 hours before fight time so i sat waiting. Checked in - Fast Track through Immigration - there was ONE person ahead of me (!) so it took about 5 minutes. So my precaution WAS unnecessary but as I was travelling Business class, i simply enjoyed the comfort and food in the lounge.

I'd actually rather do that than fret in the taxi and /or at the airport in case there are delays ????

On 3/29/2023 at 11:20 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Soon there will be another announcement from Immigraition that processing of each individual passenger only takes 90 seconds !!! 

This has gone on so long, does anyone in a position of decision making power actually care enough to genuinely impact change and improvement ?

Yes. Only took me 30 seconds to have the annual extension photo taken.

Sadly it took 1 & 1/2 hours in traffic.

Jomtien.

Looked like a prison inside.????????

Edited by Lucky Bones

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 8:56 AM, brianthainess said:

Apart from Nth Korea, is there any other country in the world, that hotels must report foreigners staying there to immigration? or even ones Family members staying with you on holiday? :coffee1:

Austria

• Thanks 1

I don't find entering the US any easier via LAX.  Much harder with mostly customs harassing passengers but very long immigration wait, too, longer than swampy. Leaving, harassment from TSA. 

Edited by jmccarty