AI could replace equivalent of 300 million jobs, suggests report

Social Media

Artificial intelligence (AI) could replace the equivalent of 300 million full-time jobs, a report by investment bank Goldman Sachs says.

It could replace a quarter of work tasks in the US and Europe but may also mean new jobs and a productivity boom.

And it could eventually increase the total annual value of goods and services produced globally by 7%.

Generative AI, able to create content indistinguishable from human work, is "a major advancement", the report says.

1 minute ago, vandeventer said:

This is all true and it's just the start. So how are the millions of illegal's that are crossing the southern border in the USA going to find jobs? Most have a low education and are unskilled.

Migrants doing menial Labour jobs, you’ve not heard of that?

I suggest getting up early in any American town or city, 6am is a good time, the only folk you’ll see around are migrant workers waiting to be picked up to go do the work Americans won’t do.

Oh and you might see me on my bike, wave and say hello.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

My goodness ‘they’ are devious, well ahead of the game.

Well spotted.

Who is "they"? 

SAN Francisco is to give some residents $1000 payments in the latest universal basic income initiative that’s emerged in California

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2592307/san-francisco-residents-no-strings-attached-cash/

Gee I wonder who gets to pay for this free money given away?

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Migrants doing menial Labour jobs, you’ve not heard of that?

I suggest getting up early in any American town or city, 6am is a good time, the only folk you’ll see around are migrant workers waiting to be picked up to go do the work Americans won’t do.

Oh and you might see me on my bike, wave and say hello.

It's all going to change when the AI's are replacing them, than what are they going to do?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Who is "they"? 

SAN Francisco is to give some residents $1000 payments in the latest universal basic income initiative that’s emerged in California

https://www.the-sun.com/news/2592307/san-francisco-residents-no-strings-attached-cash/

Gee I wonder who gets to pay for this free money given away?

The same people who pay for all other Government cash handouts, though this time their getting some of it back for themselves.

Injecting money at the bottom of the economy will grow the economy for all.

• Like 2

Not really a new idea, has it's been around for decades now. Like all technology, it has a plus and minus side. In the future Robots could be sent to other planets where they could be made to determine what was required for a human visit. Make no mistake, mining on the Moon, Mars etc. will come at some point so what better use for a Robot. I think what most people are concerned about is just how far scientist want/will go on AI's ability.

• Like 1