Choosing Thai Bank for Retirement banking USA - Thailand

35 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

My standard savings account at Bangkok bank received the same interest as my general savings accounts at Kasikorn and SCB.  At opening, I just requested a savings account at all three banks.

Was your account a Foreign Currency Deposit account or a non-resident account?  The interest on those is indeed minimal.

My BKB account IS a Thai baht savings account. 0.0%  interest.

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My BKB account IS a Thai baht savings account. 0.0%  interest.

I suggest you check at a branch the next time you're in one.  It's easy to open another BKB account if that turns out to be the best option.

2 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I suggest you check at a branch the next time you're in one.  It's easy to open another BKB account if that turns out to be the best option.

Nah I'll stick with my free box of beer from yellow bank every month, and better friendly service. 

BKB is just for month to month expenses.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I want to open a new Bangkok Bank account to use only for immigration porpoises.

I have had a Bangkok Bank account for over 10 years. Not at the branch where I want to open a new account, because of distance.

I was told at two different branches that I needed some kind of letter from the US embassy here in Bkk. A residence certificate I believe.

I looked on the Citizen services section and found.....Services we CANNOT provide:   Residency verification.

There used to be an email address you could send to...questions and such....but that's gone.

I don't want to call...

So how can I open a new Bangkok Bank account without the help of the US Embassy?

The bank won't accept a letter from T Immigration..

On 3/31/2023 at 2:28 PM, gamb00ler said:

My standard savings account at Bangkok bank received the same interest as my general savings accounts at Kasikorn and SCB.  At opening, I just requested a savings account at all three banks.

Was your account a Foreign Currency Deposit account or a non-resident account?  The interest on those is indeed minimal.

Request these:   SCB 1.5% Easy Net Account. 

Krungsri bank, Mee Tae account 0.9% up to 2million (only after you have a 1yr extension/visa) ATM  card more than 2 withdrawals a month 50b charge.

Edited by brianthainess

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Request these:   SCB 1.5% Easy Net Account

Thanks... SCB EZ savings already maxed out.  My Thai wife (25 years already!) has LH bank ProFit account at same rate as SCB but with 3M max.  Since LH bank doesn't accept farang for such account, wifey lets me use her account too.   LOL