RTP chief urges Thais to refrain from drinking at Songkran to lessen accidents

webfact

Halfway up soi 88 HH last night a popup road block stop appeared in the middle of nowhere checking DD it was the first ever positive stop for me looking for drinking.

when we explained we only had a water at Sizzler that seemed to satisfice the officer there was no money to be made and was waved on our way so drivers beware don't drink and drive ????   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

If you mean cannabis it encourages peace and quiet as opposed to alcohol which encourages aggression and noise.

yes i mean cannabis...yet driving under influence of cannabis is "wrong". why in case smoking it "encourages peace and quiet"?

21 hours ago, Goat said:

A lot of outraged replies to this sensible advice. Which is standard for other police forces around the world at xmas, New Years etc.

No big deal. 

Refrain from drinking alcohol and drink responsibally are two different things. The former being do not drink alcohol the latter is self explanatory. Of cource this is an uttery rediculous utterance. Think about how many Thais drink alcohol on Buddhist holidays where alcohol sales are 'banned'. Personally I have no problem buying alcohol on these days apart from I can't get it from 711 etc. Fine by me because the mom and pop shop 50 metres from my closet 711 sells beer cheeper.

23 hours ago, Goat said:

A lot of outraged replies to this sensible advice. Which is standard for other police forces around the world at xmas, New Years etc.

No big deal. 

Police around the world issue warning not to drink and drive, instead of not to drink at all

Police around the world also issue warning about stiff penalties for those who do, such as triple demerit points and triple the normal fine amounts, in addition to setting up triple the amount of checkpoints 

Thailand penalty, even if unable to pay off on the spot, is 3000-8000 baht fine in court and off to driving right after paying the fine. Mind you 8000 is for second or third offense, first is 3000-5000 depending on your reading

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Police around the world issue warning not to drink and drive, instead of not to drink at all

Police around the world also issue warning about stiff penalties for those who do, such as triple demerit points and triple the normal fine amounts, in addition to setting up triple the amount of checkpoints 

Thailand penalty, even if unable to pay off on the spot, is 3000-8000 baht fine in court and off to driving right after paying the fine. Mind you 8000 is for second or third offense, first is 3000-5000 depending on your reading

I know someone who got done on a Friday evening. Choices were wait in the lock up until monday go to court and the fine is Bt10k or pay us Bt20k and drive home.

19 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I know someone who got done on a Friday evening. Choices were wait in the lock up until monday go to court and the fine is Bt10k or pay us Bt20k and drive home.

I have no doubt you know someone , but I am certain you don not have a faintest clue what fine would be given in court by the judge 

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

I have no doubt you know someone , but I am certain you don not have a faintest clue what fine would be given in court by the judge 

Your right but we all know that going to court can be avoided as can going to jail or reducing jail time etc by handing over money.

On 3/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, toofarnorth said:

'.....................drinking carried risks and people were better off not to'.

Talk about stating the bleedin obvious. Well done Kitti.

Thailand: Hub of doing things that carry risks that people are better off not doing...