RTP chief urges Thais to refrain from drinking at Songkran to lessen accidents

webfact

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Your right but we all know that going to court can be avoided as can going to jail or reducing jail time etc by handing over money.

there is no jail time for drink driving, Only time you get behind bars is awaiting court appearance.

If you get done on a Monday, you will face the judge on a Tuesday, but if you get done on a Friday, then you be waiting in the cells till Monday, unless you have a Thai (someone) who will post bail, 30 000 baht

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BestB said:

there is no jail time for drink driving, Only time you get behind bars is awaiting court appearance.

If you get done on a Monday, you will face the judge on a Tuesday, but if you get done on a Friday, then you be waiting in the cells till Monday, unless you have a Thai (someone) who will post bail, 30 000 baht

Yes indeed. As I posted above i had a friend some time ago now that was given the option of court on mon. back then it was Bt10k fine or hand over Bt20k and you can go home and not go to court. I have heard of similar cases. Get done for being over the limit, pay the BIB and drive home over the limit. No case to answer.

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

Yes indeed. As I posted above i had a friend some time ago now that was given the option of court on mon. back then it was Bt10k fine or hand over Bt20k and you can go home and not go to court. I have heard of similar cases. Get done for being over the limit, pay the BIB and drive home over the limit. No case to answer.

i understood what you said, what i am saying is there was and there is NO set fine, it is decided by the judge and 10 would be for a 3rd time offender or may be an insanely high alcohol reading, 1st time offender usually ranges from 3000-5000

Problem is not so much being in the cells but what happens if you here on a visa other than the 30 day stamp

Procedure is, if you go to court, immigration is automatically notified and getting an extension could be problematic or require some donations.

30 day stamp has no consequences, only problem is getting passport back from the police, which they suppose to return the moment you return to the station and show paid fine, in reality, they often want a donation to give it back, being well aware you need it to fly back home.

So, yes indeed if you are a foreigner, paying on the spot and keep driving is a better option, but for a Thai, they simply do not care as consequences are not all that bad, do not even need a lawyer to defend in court, just admit guilt, pay few thousand baht and off they go

2 hours ago, BestB said:

i understood what you said, what i am saying is there was and there is NO set fine, it is decided by the judge and 10 would be for a 3rd time offender or may be an insanely high alcohol reading, 1st time offender usually ranges from 3000-5000

Problem is not so much being in the cells but what happens if you here on a visa other than the 30 day stamp

Procedure is, if you go to court, immigration is automatically notified and getting an extension could be problematic or require some donations.

30 day stamp has no consequences, only problem is getting passport back from the police, which they suppose to return the moment you return to the station and show paid fine, in reality, they often want a donation to give it back, being well aware you need it to fly back home.

So, yes indeed if you are a foreigner, paying on the spot and keep driving is a better option, but for a Thai, they simply do not care as consequences are not all that bad, do not even need a lawyer to defend in court, just admit guilt, pay few thousand baht and off they go

Agree again except for the Thai bit. If they can pay to get away with with paying BIB they will. Let's face it a Thai (rich) can kill someone and get away with it. Again I will relate to a friend this time a foreigner. Had about an ounce of dope on him and again this was quite some time ago. BIB wanted bt80k. He gave them 30k but asked if he could have 1/2 of the dope back. They actually gave 1/2 back. Matter settled. TIT and TIT is corrupt top to bottom.

Another meaningless statement, It is not backed up by any enforcement and will not result in a single drink less being drunk by anybody. Plus the wise RTP are allowing 4 drunks in the back of each pickup, by suspending the law that disallows it.....ask yourself what law in a first world country is suspended for holidays??????

8 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Another meaningless statement, It is not backed up by any enforcement and will not result in a single drink less being drunk by anybody. Plus the wise RTP are allowing 4 drunks in the back of each pickup, by suspending the law that disallows it.....ask yourself what law in a first world country is suspended for holidays??????

I agree, pretty neat huh........ One of the quirky things about living here, love it.

• Love It 1

19 hours ago, dinsdale said:

There is also a rumour of being taken to immigration after the court case for extension cancellation, or 10k baht!

23 hours ago, BestB said:

I have no doubt you know someone , but I am certain you don not have a faintest clue what fine would be given in court by the judge 

In Phuket it was 5000 Baht, in court, 

On 4/1/2023 at 3:28 AM, Pedrogaz said:

First World?

What might that be?