Family member stood guarantor for friend, now friend has done a runner. I want to go after her.

27 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

No need for a gumshoe.

Keep an eye on her FB page

Dumba$$ will be keeping you posted on her whereabouts.

Heck...you might even try to befriend her (on fb)

Good idea, lovely irony if I were able to befriend her. Unfortunately it will all be in Thai, but I'll suggest it to the family.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Olav Seglem said:

Have you checked guarantee is not a kind of "all for one and one for all"?

Then the lender can go after one og the persons for all the money, and the person has to get the others pay him back their share....

Not a pleasant thought. I haven't got all the contract details, and I would need wifey to translate Thai legalise.

23 minutes ago, Regyai said:

It's just the monotonously repetitive cycle of life in Thailand were each successive generation does the same old idiotic thing.

Despite the never ending telling of these situations, people are content with the delusional notion that standing as guarantor has no repercussions.

I know, but these (guarantors) are decent people, just trying to help a friend. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RickBlaine said:

I can't believe she would do that to her friends.

When money is involved , I can believe anything ......if she needed 3 guarantors ,doubt she had the

income to repay for the SUV.

regards Worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

When money is involved , I can believe anything ......if she needed 3 guarantors ,doubt she had the

regards Worgeordie

Yes. 'Doubt she had the income...' The borrower has to be responsible for their actions, but ideally the finance company would also get it in the neck from the Financial Ombudsman for irresponsible lending. No one's holding their breath.

10 minutes ago, transam said:

An oh too familiar story...

The loan company must have the blue book, they are the owners, so the runaway bird can't road tax it.

But if the guarantors don't cough-up they will probably try and locate the ride, sell it on, then pursue their costs and lost money through the courts, something the guarantors signed up to do. ????

you can pay road tax with just a photocopy of the blue book, people on finances do it all the time, the book can be updated later

10 minutes ago, transam said:

An oh too familiar story...

The loan company must have the blue book, they are the owners, so the runaway bird can't road tax it.

But if the guarantors don't cough-up they will probably try and locate the ride, sell it on, then pursue their costs and lost money through the courts, something the guarantors signed up to do. ????

When we've had cars on finance, we had a photocopy of the owners book so we could get tax (the finance co kept the book till the final payment). I hope she's taxing the car, so she doesn't get stopped at every checkpoint, as it should make it easier to narrow it down to a province. 

I did wonder why the finance co haven't already looked for the car (maybe they have). I guess it's cheaper and easier to go after the guarantors.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FriendlyFarang said:

They probably reported the car as stolen, so if she tries to pay tax it will be flagged.

Do you know if that's always done? If so, it suggests she's not taxing it, or the company would have her.

We need to talk to a lawyer about options.

3 minutes ago, RickBlaine said:

I did wonder why the finance co haven't already looked for the car (maybe they have). I guess it's cheaper and easier to go after the guarantors.

They probably do both, look for the car and demand money from the guarantors, they will take whatever they can get first.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickBlaine said:

Do you know if that's always done? If so, it suggests she's not taxing it, or the company would have her.

We need to talk to a lawyer about options.

Legally it’s the bank’s car, she is just renting it. If she doesn’t pay the rent the bank demands their car back and any outstanding costs. If she doesn’t return the car I’m certain that they will report it as stolen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well  even the police get caught..a policeman became gaurentor for his policeman friend.. the policeman friend ended up in monkey house.. can't pay..and the gaurentor policeman lost there house..  as still had to make payments... . So don't become a gaurentor at all..

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

... . So don't become a gaurentor at all..

A futile lament

Ive actually asked a local about to sign on the dotted line if he'd be prepared to use his house to get finance for a new pick-up and then give it to his friend in the hope of him paying him back for it.

This was met with abject horror at the very thought of it, but the tacit fact that it was in essence no different to the guarantorship he was so eager to embark on - was something beyond his willingness to accept.

• Like 1

My wife went guarantor for friends motorcycle, letters of demand started arriving, ignored for a long time, finally wife made contact explained she had never had finance in her life and she had only signed document to witness friends signature,end of story she was no longer chased as guarantor .

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Its a simple equation that leads to the obvious answer, none of them were adjudged capable of being able to pay the loan. But bundled together on a 'jointly and severally liable' basis the finance supplier felt confident enough to take the risk.

2 hours ago, RickBlaine said:

I know, but these (guarantors) are decent people, just trying to help a friend. 

And that is the problem - the pull on their heartstrings overpowers what little common sense they have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A common thing in Thailand greed gets the better of people trying find them in Thailand is like the saying a needle in a hay stack.

Unless there is a report of an accident police are useless.

They will get rid of the SUV as well soon enough.

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Legally it’s the bank’s car, she is just renting it. If she doesn’t pay the rent the bank demands their car back and any outstanding costs. If she doesn’t return the car I’m certain that they will report it as stolen.

The bank can 'demand' all they like, the problem is firstly to find her and the car.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1