Plans to accelerate rise in state pension age frozen

The government has frozen plans to accelerate the rise in the state pension age.

Work and Pensions Secretary Mel Stride confirmed the move following newspaper reports that suggested the government was erring over the plans.

The age at which the state pension is payable currently stands at 66, and by the end of 2028, it will have risen to 67.

Increasing the state pension age to 68 was scheduled to happen between 2044 and 2046 - but ministers had been contemplating bringing that forward to between 2037 to 2039.

14 hours ago, Slip said:

Pierre, Jacques, Fabian;

We the Brits thank you for your work and apologise for being spineless lickspittles.

It’s worse than that.

Droves of ‘free thinkers’ regurgitate the spite and envy they’ve been fed every time the subject of decent pensions arises.

Mention good work place pensions and instead of demanding good pensions for all they complain that those who still have decent pensions should be dragged down to the level of those who don’t.

Like crabs in a bucket.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You seem to be confusing state pension age with some kind of compulsory retirement age.

There are no rules on retirement. It's all about planning.

Before you bang on about it's only the wealthy that can retire early, it's not.

My state pension age is 67. I will be retired a good 7 years before that. My salary has always been at the lowest tax bracket.

Not a high salary but enough to save, invest and prepare for early retirement. 

It's really not difficult. Even your mate Mr Starmer has stated he will not be using the tax break on pension pots as he doesn't have top.

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

You seem to be confusing state pension age with some kind of compulsory retirement age.

There are no rules on retirement. It's all about planning.

Before you bang on about it's only the wealthy that can retire early, it's not.

My state pension age is 67. I will be retired a good 7 years before that. My salary has always been at the lowest tax bracket.

Not a high salary but enough to save, invest and prepare for early retirement. 

It's really not difficult. Even your mate Mr Starmer has stated he will not be using the tax break on pension pots as he doesn't have top.

I’m not sure how you draw that conclusion.

Oh, you make an assumption on my views on the matter and then argue with your own assumptions.

Here deconstruct this statement, give it your best shot:

20 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Work until you’re knackered, no thanks:

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure how you draw that conclusion.

Oh, you make an assumption on my views on the matter and then argue with your own assumptions.

Here deconstruct this statement, give it your best shot:

That's what I like about you.

When you can't argue against something but wished you could, you become pedantic and churlish. It's so predictable.

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That's what I like about you.

When you can't argue against something but wished you could, you become pedantic and churlish. It's so predictable.

No, I simply referred you back to my very first post in the thread, a post that very clearly contradicts your later assumptions of my thoughts on the matter.

You assumed views for me that I have never expressed.

You were once again arguing against yourself.