Bangkok Bank - opening a bank account on a tourist visa - no more

To get a non-o visa at an embassy in another country a Thai bank account isn't required.

Bangkok Bank isn't the only bank in Thailand, there are 10+ other banks.

I doubt that this rule is applied in all branches, so probably it's the same as before, some branches will open an account, some won't.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

To get a non-o visa at an embassy in another country a Thai bank account isn't required.

Bangkok Bank isn't the only bank in Thailand, there are 10+ other banks.

I doubt that this rule is applied in all branches, so probably it's the same as before, some branches will open an account, some won't.

Maybe, agents seem to solely use Bangkok Bank now, so maybe it impacts those who may want to go the agent route

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's been posted and shared a few times by a popular agent so I'd say it's true

Possibly* true.

I've had an agent tell me I'm required to carry a tm.30 receipt in my wallet or passport or I risk being arrested and/or fined. ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Not surprised they must have a flood now of foreigners opening bank accounts here.  Probably more changes to come as how many of these accounts could/will be used for criminal activity?

Good point. Especially if it continues to increase, there might well be some reactions like this.

On 3/31/2023 at 4:21 PM, scubascuba3 said:

It's been posted and shared a few times by a popular agent so I'd say it's true

By an "agent" do you mean an independent agent, like an IMM agent?  That's all the more reason to be a little suspicious.  Perhaps he is drumming up a little side hustle to get dumb foreigners to fork over a few thousand baht for him to "pull some strings".

Bangkok Bank has not officially said anything on their website, and really I see no reason for them to do that.

All I know is that there is a HUGE difference between what someone says and what really is true in Thailand.  I was told in no uncertain terms that I could not open an account at Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai the first month I was here. 

I went to another bank (Kasikorn) and was told the same thing.  Then a few days later I returned to the same Bangkok Bank branch that I had first visited and spoke with another officer.  I was all prepared to argue my case but to my surprise she happily opened one for me.

Edited by WaveHunter

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

By an "agent" do you mean an independent agent, like an IMM agent.  That's all the more reason to be a little suspicious.  Bangkok Bank has not officially said anything on their website, and really I see no reason for them to do that.

All I know is that there is a HUEG difference between what someone says and what really is true in Thailand.  I was told in no uncertain terms that I could not open an account at Bangkok Bank the first month I was here.  I went to another banks and was told the same thing.  Then a few days later I returned to the same Bangkok Bank branch that I had first visited and spoke with another officer.  I was all prepared to argue my case but to my surprise she happily opened one for me.

People wanting the agent route for their first retirement visa\extension often need the agent to open a Bangkok Bank account for them, no more. The fallout will surface sooner or later

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

People wanting the agent route for their first retirement visa\extension often need the agent to open a Bangkok Bank account for them, no more. The fallout will surface sooner or later

I think it is just a rogue agent trying to cash in on some naive foreigners.  I mean, it wouldn't be the first time!  There is not a single report on the internet or any reputable expat news channel of such a thing, and you have not provided a link or identity of the agent so we can ascertain his veracity  so I think April 6 will come and go, and all will be the same.

What's more, It would be a crisis for the IMM office if foreigners were not allowed to have bank accounts (i.e.: 800K baht deposit requirement).  It just makes no sense at all.

Edited by WaveHunter

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

I think it is just a rogue agent trying to cash in on some naive foreigners.  I mean, it wouldn't be the first time!  There is not a single report on the internet or any reputable expat news channel of such a thing, and you have not provided a link or identity of the agent so we can ascertain his veracity  so I think April 6 will come and go, and all will be the same.

What's more, It would be a crisis for the IMM office if foreigners were not allowed to have bank accounts (i.e.: 800K baht deposit requirement).  It just makes no sense at all.

it makes sense if you understand it, it only relates to Bangkok Bank which they use where no financials are required from the foreigner