Have you ever been to jail

51 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

It would be hard to say exactly what reasonable force is. If I came home and found an intruder in my house and put him down, that would not be the end of it, I would make sure he stayed down and was incapable of getting up, I am not going to try and not hurt him as he could have a hidden knife or even a gun.

Saying things like you do on the internet is not a very smart thing to do.

Imagine 20 years from now some one invades your home and you kill him?

They will find what you posted here and use it against you.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

Saying things like you do on the internet is not a very smart thing to do.

Imagine 20 years from now some one invades your home and you kill him?

They will find what you posted here and use it against you.

He posted it anonymously and the post will not be connected to his real life name 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He posted it anonymously and the post will not be connected to his real life name 

Says who?

I know of some very unpleasant surprises that happened to people who posted anonymously.

Anything you post will be there forever and some people know where and how to find you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

That is absolutely crazy. One should be allowed to do as one pleases with an intruder. You know the system is broken when you get locked up for defending your own. 

I kid you not when I went to court I though it would be thrown out and compo would be coming my way but as they say the rest is history all you need is a inept barrister a liar and some fabrication and away you go ????

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

Says who?

I know of some very unpleasant surprises that happened to people who posted anonymously.

Anything you post will be there forever and some people know where and how to find you.

Dont keep it to yourself .

What are those surprises someone got after posting anonymously ?

• Haha 1

Jail in Liberia back in 1980.

This was when the army took over and there was a night curfew. My manager was involved in a minor traffic accident and a British embassy rep turned up at the company villa at 2am. needing someone to act as his 'boss' and read him the riot act so he could be released. So, that was me.

Being driven through the empty streets of Monrovia in the embassy car, flashing lights and all, just hoping that the army guys were still sleeping off their night excesses, was rather surreal.

All worked out fine and I was back in the villa in next to no time and the embassy rep left me with a smile having seen me earlier trying to explain my sudden departure to my local g/f.....

Those were the days!!

I spent a day in the jail under Pattaya Courthouse, based on some trumped-up and fake charge that I refused to plead guilty to. I had my shoes and tie and belt taken away from me, but rather than being put in the 'cages', I was allowed to sit on a chair outside the cages. (Maybe because the police there knew that the charge was fake).  I watched others come and go, all shackled with a heavy chain on their legs.  Most were Thai, some were foreigners.  I was lucky enough to get bail, but looking at some of those in shackles I wondered if they were innocent of the charges against them but didn't have the funds to pay for bail.

16 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I remember hearing from a guy at work saying there was a jail in the innermost area of the Scottish Highlands, I would love to see that 

Probably he meant Inveraray Jail... It's worth a visit if you're near there. It's open for tourists most of the year..

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

It would be hard to say exactly what reasonable force is. If I came home and found an intruder in my house and put him down, that would not be the end of it, I would make sure he stayed down and was incapable of getting up, I am not going to try and not hurt him as he could have a hidden knife or even a gun.

Not to mention the possibility of retribution. Once you hurt someone badly, it is a moral dilemma as to whether or not letting him go is the wiser course of action. 

It is easy for me to talk. I have never taken the life of another man, and I doubt I would do it lightly. It has got to be a very heavy burden to bear, unless the circumstances are very clearly called for. 

• Like 1

2 times for protesting the Vietnamese war (I'm old). I was lying down in the street to stop traffic both times. An anti-war demonstration is where I lost my virginity, on the floor of a super-liberal church, between 2 pews. 1 time while being deported from England (visa overstay, had to marry the brit in question).

Went to the Bangkok jail back in the Lonely Planet era and brought vitamins and Marlboro's as advised.

Said the prisoner (they rotate them), "Is this all you brought?". I think you need a name to visit now, which you can get from a country's embassy (tho how, I don't know).

In high school, I worked at the military cemetery where John Coltrane is interred.

A lot of jazz greats served in the army and were happy to avail themselves of free burial plots. Further music greats grave visit tales if there's any interest.

In the US I used to go to jail at least 3 to 5 times a week. I was the one taking people to jail.  The scariest prison I saw was Poli Charlki Prision just outside of Kabul.  Of course every inmate in there is now free and probably has a government job.  

• Haha 1

Ok, my little story. I once spent the night in a drunk tank in California. Quite a motley crew of detainees, ranging from the obviously long term mentally ill and some horrific rants, the drug/alcohol addicted, the guys still in shirts and ties who couldn't handle the company party, and the young wannabe punks, who got put in their place real quick for trying to mouth off the cops, then became whimpering little sissies. Quite an experience. For some it wakes one up to the fact they ought to do something to prevent such future situations, while others never learn. I heard some had records miles long for such situations, drunk in public, DUIs, and there's no long term solution other than to just keep dragging them in, then letting them go.

Never, but i was once arrested in Libya. detained and questioned for 2 hours. When i got back to the office, they asked where i had been, they asked me to describe the officers uniform - they then told me i was being questioned by the secret police! They said i was lucky to be alive..... many detainees end up somewhere in the desert.

Cemeteries - I used to live in a small village in Hampshire, and the local church had a substantial number of war graves. Their used to be a military hospital during WW1 nearby, and over a 100 patients ended up there. Good for a quiet period of reflection.

I have also visited the only war cemetery (so i was told) from WW2 in Australia. Holds people who were killed in Darwin from Japanese bombing.

18 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

A random guy on 4chan in New Jersey made threats against an FL sheriff, angry about some news article. The board claims to have total anonymity, no user names, random post IDs. Nevertheless, cops showed up at his mom's place where he stayed, dragged him out, and extradited him to FL.

All forums record your IP address, which mods and admin can view.

You'd need to post using a VPN to have any chance of anonymity.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 8:43 AM, UKJASE said:

i went to visit my mate in IDC in bangkok.  looked like a pretty rough place.  best to avoid detention here at all costs

A number of years ago on this forum ("Thai Visa" at the time) a young man signed onto the forum from IDC where he was being held for some violation. I don't recall just what his situation was but he was frantically posting, looking for advice and help.  He described at length the conditions in IDC and indeed, it seemed a harrowing experience.  

I remember him saying some fellow detainees had been there for years, caught in a horrible limbo, no money for a ticket out, no prospect for release, no appeal available.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2023 at 8:41 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Have you ever been to jail , particularly  either as a visitor or long term guest?

None of you fracking business on behalf of anyone reading this. What are you aiming for coming up with these OP's all the time? A seat at the great AN moderator table?  Let chatGPT  take over. Dude you are nosy as ...

Thinking back, I was also arrested in The Netherlands!  I was the temporary transmitter engineer and DJ on an offshore radio station in the 1970's called Radio Delmare.  When I returned on the tender boat back to The Netherlands, we were all arrested by the Dutch police.  The police took the Dutch and Belgian nationals off somewhere and they took me directly to the ferry to England at Hook of Holland, wished me a nice trip and that was that!

In the past few years I have been 'hassled' by police/military in both Myanmar and Laos for my totally legal amateur radio activities.  In Laos my house was raided 3 times by many police and I was taken against my will to the local police station where I was 'grilled' about my activities (they ignored the copy of my ham licence issued by their own government).

In Myanmar, some senior military chaps visited me for a nice chat about how I could perhaps help them with developing satellite technology (I used to work as a satellite design engineer), in return for allowing me to do my ham radio hobby.  Sorry, no can do!

15 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Thinking back, I was also arrested in The Netherlands!  I was the temporary transmitter engineer and DJ on an offshore radio station in the 1970's called Radio Delmare.  When I returned on the tender boat back to The Netherlands, we were all arrested by the Dutch police.  The police took the Dutch and Belgian nationals off somewhere and they took me directly to the ferry to England at Hook of Holland, wished me a nice trip and that was that!

In the past few years I have been 'hassled' by police/military in both Myanmar and Laos for my totally legal amateur radio activities.  In Laos my house was raided 3 times by many police and I was taken against my will to the local police station where I was 'grilled' about my activities (they ignored the copy of my ham licence issued by their own government).

In Myanmar, some senior military chaps visited me for a nice chat about how I could perhaps help them with developing satellite technology (I used to work as a satellite design engineer), in return for allowing me to do my ham radio hobby.  Sorry, no can do!

this might jar your memory

Radio Delmare - Wikipedia