Early morning carnage! Six family members dead as van collides head on with 18 wheel truck in south

webfact

On 4/1/2023 at 10:43 AM, ezzra said:

not that the relevant authorities didn't try,

They tried did they please enlighten me how. All buses and trucks should by law be fitted with dash cams and especially  Tachometers. Drivers hours should be limited as in the real world.

On 4/1/2023 at 2:03 PM, Bob12345 said:

You do understand that many Thais need a motorbike to reach work and the fines you propose can be their total monthly wage?

Then they should drive more carefully and obey the rules of the road. This carnage has to be stopped somehow before they kill me. They won't even spend 60b for a tail lamp. I just paid 38b for a add on led lamp that shows all 4 lights. tail, stop, LH & RH indicators. 

Ex UK truck inspector. Inspections here are just a joke i've sat and watched the LTO inspection, not even a wiggle the steering back and forth, NO load test on rolling road, No check on air brake pressure build up. And to add insult a Thai only job. 

Edited by brianthainess

On 4/1/2023 at 10:43 AM, ezzra said:

These are unacceptable number of casualties even for a large country like Thailand, the sad part is that there is nothing one can do about it, not that the relevant authorities didn't try, it's just that Thai people and driving are not a good match.

There is something that can be done if the govt chose to.

Proper driver training before missing any license. Enforcement of traffic laws. Improve the road conditions to provide proper space for the scooter riders just as a start. Stop the underage children from riding scooters and provide better transportation options to accommodate their need to travel. 

On 4/3/2023 at 9:55 AM, kingstonkid said:

BOB you miss the point.  Fines are not there to make life easy they are there as a deterrent just like prison and jails in the U.S.

Look at it this way I agree that 5k is a lot of money, but if I have a choice lose my bike pay a fine or buy and wear a helmet.  It becomes a no-brainer.

Yes the U.S. has a lot of people in jail but look at the crime rate.  

Which causes more poverty and misery Dad having to buy a helmet and wear it or losing dad because he had an accident and did not have a helmet?  Which one causes more poverty?

It appears the deterrents are not really working then.

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2023 at 5:07 AM, Dan O said:

There is something that can be done if the govt chose to.

Proper driver training before missing any license. Enforcement of traffic laws. Improve the road conditions to provide proper space for the scooter riders just as a start. Stop the underage children from riding scooters and provide better transportation options to accommodate their need to travel. 

Yes...you are referring to the 5 Es of road safety.

The "Safe System" or variations thereof, has been adopted without exception by countries with the best road safety records.

The system has to be adopted 100 % or it won't work....you can't pick and choose .

Enforcement

Education

Engineering

Emergency

Evaluation 

Without adopting all these, Thailand will NEVER have significant improvement in their road safety statistics.