49 years old, best way to stay for my last year until retirement visa eligible.

Hey all. Trying to figure out my best way to stay here for one more year. For the past 9 months I've been on an METV that I applied for when I was in my home country (USA). That's worked fine, getting extensions as needed and doing my border runs as required. Now that is coming to an end I'm trying to figure out the best way to stay for one more year (13 months actually) until I'm eligible for a retirement visa. I could go back to my home country and apply for another METV, but I'm wondering if just doing SETV's are a better and cheaper option? Is there any other options other than those? Thanks.

1 minute ago, JamesLA said:

. I could go back to my home country and apply for another METV, but I'm wondering if just doing SETV's are a better and cheaper option? Is there any other options other than those?

You may have a problem with both of those options. 

You are suggesting quite a long continuous stay using tourist visas and visa exempt entries.

Looking for another 12 months + on the back of a METV..

Some will suggest a non ED ....

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You may have a problem with both of those options. 

You are suggesting quite a long continuous stay using tourist visas and visa exempt entries.

Looking for another 12 months + on the back of a METV..

Some will suggest a non ED ....

I do understand that a lot of visa exempt entries can potentially cause problems. But I haven't had a visa exempt entry in years. And I've never had an SETV entry before. Just the METV entries over the past 9 months and another time I used the METV prior to COVID. Are multiple SETV's a problem as well? I'm looking at probably needing 4 of them to make it to next year.

2 minutes ago, JamesLA said:

Are multiple SETV's a problem as well? I'm looking at probably needing 4 of them to make it to next year.

Yes. 

Apart from the number of setv,s its important as to amount of time spent out of Thailand.

You mention covid ...

In the last 2-3 years how long have you spent outside of Thailand. 

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. 

Apart from the number of setv,s its important as to amount of time spent out of Thailand.

You mention covid ...

In the last 2-3 years how long have you spent outside of Thailand. 

I've been in Thailand since mid September 2022. Prior to that the last time I was in Thailand was for a quick trip (3 or 4 days) in 2019. In the second half of 2017 I stayed here for 6 months on an METV.

Edit: During the current stretch from Sep 2022, I've done two visa runs to Cambodia. Both times I just stayed a few days (3 or 4). And I'm about to do another quick one to Vietnam in early May for 3 or 4 days. That one will need to be on an SETV or visa exempt on return. After that I may take a longer trip outside of Thailand for a few weeks.

Edited by JamesLA

4 minutes ago, JamesLA said:

I've been in Thailand since mid September 2022. Prior to that the last time I was in Thailand was for a quick trip (3 or 4 days) in 2019. In the second half of 2017 I stayed here for 6 months on an METV.

I assumed incorrectly.

So really it's just been last several months.

So you still have 2 visa exempt entries via land borders in pocket this calendar year. 

That's 4 months with extensions.

Have you considered sending some time outside of Thailand.

USA citizen requires visa for Vietnam but ripper joint.

Improves chance of less hassle at airports. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I assumed incorrectly.

So really it's just been last several months.

So you still have 2 visa exempt entries via land borders in pocket this calendar year. 

That's 4 months with extensions.

Have you considered sending some time outside of Thailand.

USA citizen requires visa for Vietnam but ripper joint.

Improves chance of less hassle at airports. 

Yeah, I haven't used any visa exempt entries. And I've had zero land border entries. In fact I prefer to fly and spend at least a few days somewhere else. I will be in Vietnam for a few days next month.

My main reason for staying here in Thailand is I have an apartment lease until September. I also have a fair amount of stuff setup now. After the whole COVID thing I decided I didn't want to live out of AirBnb's and keep bouncing around the world. I wanted my own "place" which is now in Thailand. I was going to do one more year in the US (where I spent my COVID time), but just couldn't take it anymore and left early to my planned retirement spot, Thailand. But I've got another year still. I will probably spend some time outside of Thailand, I'm thinking of doing a Europe trip for a few weeks but I need to do one more either visas exempt or SETV stay come May.

2 minutes ago, SiamAndy said:

In addition to student language visa, there is also a 1 year self defense visa.

I've certainly heard of these visa, but do they really fly? I've heard they cracked down a lot on these things.

I have spent time (almost 15 years) in Thailand on various visa's including Education, stamp on entry, and the last two on a Retirement Visa. I have never had a problem with any of these and although I was apprehensive about border runs and renewals these all went very smoothly, we just tend to worry too much about things. With your record of not being in the country for years on end then I honestly don't think any Immigration Officer would even think twice about putting another stamp in your passport and once you are on retirement then you have zero issues. But for peace of mind go and see a Visa Agent and you will get sorted with no worries.

Edited by Barrydives
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Barrydives said:

I have spent time (almost 15 years) in Thailand on various visa's including Education, Retirement, and also border runs etc. I have never had a problem with any of these and although I was apprehensive about border runs and renewals these all went very smoothly, we just tend to worry to much about things. With your record of not being in the country for years on end then I honestly don't think any Immigration Officer would even think twice about putting another stamp in your passport and once you are on retirement then you have zero issues. But for peace of mind go and see a Visa Agent and you will get sorted with no worries.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm probably just worrying about it too much. My own situation has been fairly mild compared to some of the stories I've heard. Probably I'll just try to do 4 SETV's, or maybe just 3 and take a few several week trips in between.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JamesLA said:

do understand that a lot of visa exempt entries can potentially cause problems. But I haven't had a visa exempt entry in years

When it comes to immigration, your immediate history is much more interesting to the officer than what you were doing in previous years.

The first couple of tourist visas are unlikely to cause any problems but after that you may (or may not, people's milage varies) start running into problems.