Pheu Thai Party unveils its three prime ministerial candidates

snoop1130

6 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Almost impossible to break away from hard-wired and accepted tradition.....

One has to sit back and reasonably ask [rhetorically] why these military coups take place. 

Take a good look behind the curtain.

Did you ever see the "Wizard of Oz"?

You know what they discovered when they actually dared to do the unthinkable and looked behind the curtain?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wrote that already many times:

My alternative is an honest competent leader. 

I don't know why Thai people prefer corrupt liars. 

Abhisit was, as far as I know, a decent politician. But Thais didn't want him. It seems part of what they didn't like was that Abhisit was smart and educated.

Great.  Recruit some leaders who meet your standards and asked them to run for election.  Then accept the results whether you like them or not.

Or do you think military coups provide honest competent leaders?  Your post show you prefer them to elected leaders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Great.  Recruit some leaders who meet your standards and asked them to run for election.  Then accept the results whether you like them or not.

Or do you think military coups provide honest competent leaders?  Your post show you prefer them to elected leaders.

I can try to explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

You could try to read my posts again. But I don't have much hope it will make a difference.

Sometimes things are more complicated than just black or white. 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I can try to explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

You could try to read my posts again. But I don't have much hope it will make a difference.

Sometimes things are more complicated than just black or white. 

I understand your posts:  Given a choice between a legitimately elected corrupt leader and an illegitimately installed corrupt coup leader, you prefer the latter.  I prefer respecting the choice of the Thai people.

On 4/6/2023 at 2:02 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

What is so difficult to understand that if you don't want A that doesn't mean you are a supporter from B?

There is C and D and a lot more out there. But as long as people only look at A and B it's no surprise that they end up with A or B.

If denying A leaves B as the only option, then yes, you are a supporter of B.

(C and D do not exist).

And some have the gall to label Thai voters as dumb.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2023 at 5:02 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

What is so difficult to understand that if you don't want A that doesn't mean you are a supporter from B?

There is C and D and a lot more out there. But as long as people only look at A and B it's no surprise that they end up with A or B.

Such is the the binary nature of debate these days. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 3:58 AM, pegman said:

you really hate democracy don't you?

Depends whether you call buying votes en masse democracy. Looking at places like the US or Britain, there's not much evidence of democracy in the western world either: just two big parties and nothing changes.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

So what if he is or he isn't? It's his right to support whomever he wants to support. 

I'll be voting for Prayuth. At least he has conservative values, supports Thai traditions, and opposes those who want Thailand to become like the ghastly western world. 

This coming from an ex-Thaksin supporter, before I realised the error of my ways.

Yes.....perhaps we're judging the poor old general, and his charming circle, much too harshly.

Maybe we really don't know what we have with Lung Tu.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidneybear said:

So what if he is or he isn't? It's his right to support whomever he wants to support. 

I'll be voting for Prayuth. At least he has conservative values, supports Thai traditions, and opposes those who want Thailand to become like the ghastly western world. 

This coming from an ex-Thaksin supporter, before I realised the error of my ways.

Then you’ll be voting with a very very small minority. The Thai people will decide what they want THEIR country to become. I get the feeling most no longer wish to be considered mere dust under anyone’s feet… how ghastly that you oppose basic human rights being bestowed upon ALL citizens.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Then you’ll be voting with a very very small minority. The Thai people will decide what they want THEIR country to become. I get the feeling most no longer wish to be considered mere dust under anyone’s feet… how ghastly that you oppose basic human rights being bestowed upon ALL citizens.

I'm Thai mate, so your post is a tad off piste - the correct possessive pronoun in your post should be 'your' rather than 'their'. I've never felt like dust under anyone's feet either, but I appreciate your concern. Human rights in the dump that's the West? Poverty, depression and repression more like. You've been watching too much CNN.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:58 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Hopefully a court will disqualify them. Why? Because they are clearly under control from the wanted criminal from outside of Thailand. And the party clearly concentrates on what he wants and not what is best for Thailand. Disqualifies them, best about a day before the election. 

And they are promising 10,000Baht to every Thai over 16 years old.

Only one source where this would come from - the man who claims to not be involved.

Plus, would this not be vote buying?

Seems to me they need to be careful the whole party is not de-registered for these offers, and the party officials all banned from politics for 10? years.

And yes the other parties are way less than clean and ethical.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Nope.

Their is used correctly.

All Thais are included when I state it is their country. Thailand is one of the most unequal nations on the planet. Your cherished conservative values have resulted in millions and millions of Thais wallowing in poverty unnecessarily - for decades. Times are changing. Prayuth is toast. You’ve already seen the last successful coup in Thailand. Better start getting used to living under that horrible Western creation called democracy and all of the free speech and equal treatment under the law that comes with it.

I'm Thai. Read my earlier post. And you obviously don't know how Thai politics works. Coups are a fact of life and are sometimes necessary to rein in malign western influences that would otherwise spoil Thailand. 

Edited by sidneybear
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

And they are promising 10,000Baht to every Thai over 16 years old.

Only one source where this would come from - the man who claims to not be involved.

Plus, would this not be vote buying?

Seems to me they need to be careful the whole party is not de-registered for these offers, and the party officials all banned from politics for 10? years.

And yes the other parties are way less than clean and ethical.

The current (caretaker) government is already supporting over 14 million thais (though not the ones who really need the money) and where does that money come from?

Every holiday the government picks up half the tab for transport and hotel bills. Where does that money come from?

Certainly not from Prayuth and his illegal military coup mates.

9 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

I'm Thai. Read my earlier post.

But you are only one Thai with only one vote. Many other Thais will disagree with you.

Check the results on election day and see how many agree/disagree with you.

A small reminder for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_d'état#:~:text=A coup d'état (%2F,a government and its powers.

A coup d'état (/ˌkuːdeɪˈtɑː/ (listen); French for 'stroke of state'[1]), also known as a coup or an overthrow, is a seizure and removal of a government and its powers.[2][3] Typically, it is an illegal seizure of power by a political faction, politician, cult, rebel group, military, or a dictator.[4][5] Many scholars consider a coup successful when the usurpers seize and hold power for at least seven days.[4]

I bolded and underlined the word military.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Yes, yes, I know full well what a coup is. The West has sponsored lots of them, as well as destabilising elected governments it doesn't like, ignoring legalities when it suits its Liberal (and fast going out of fashion) worldview. 

Thaksin's lot, or another lot sponsored by the west, may well buy votes to get back in, but they won't last long. Grass roots Thais are conservative, which isn't a bad thing because Thailand in nice just the way it is.

Yet you support military coups, and don't seem to care that most Thai people don't.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

I'm Thai. Read my earlier post. And you obviously don't know how Thai politics works. Coups are a fact of life and are sometimes necessary to rein in malign western influences that would otherwise spoil Thailand. 

Correction.

Coups were a fact of life.

Thailands problems are self made my friend, no amount of right wing nationalist nonsense spouted by you will change the fact that Thais do not want rigid hierarchies and forced submission…. they want iPhones and McDonald’s.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

How do you know that most don't support the status quo, including coups and the like? Have you conducted a survey? And no, bought votes don't count. 

You are living in denial.

The election is going to be won in a landslide. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Correction.

Coups were a fact of life.

Thailands problems are self made my friend, no amount of right wing nationalist nonsense spouted by you will change the fact that Thais do not want rigid hierarchies and forced submission…. they want iPhones and McDonald’s.

Right wing nationalist nonsense? "Spouted" by me? Do try to keep things civil old chap, we're having a debate here and we both have a right to our respective opinions. Anyway, you sound just like me back in 2005, before the coup is 2006, and again in 2013, before the coup in 2014. I was just like you are now. All this western cultural poison won't work in Thailand, thankfully. The west is a spent force - senile, confused and losing its poisonous influence. A bit like Biden, its metaphor.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Thankfully, for Thailand and its people, your views are in a resounding minority. Thailand’s future, under elected governments, will be nothing more and nothing less than a full throated enduring embrace of all things Western. You sound like someone who China or perhaps North Korea would be a much better fit than the land of smiles (maybe even Russia).

Nationalism is the last refuge of scoundrels.

Opinion surveys are there to shape public opinion, rather than measure it. They predicted that Brexit wouldn't happen, and that Hillary Clinton would win.

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

How do you know that most don't support the status quo, including coups and the like? Have you conducted a survey? And no, bought votes don't count. 

Actually I talk along with my Thai wife to her family and out Thai friends both here in rural Kamphaeng Phet . Other parts of the family and friends live in Bangkok, Samut Prakan, Bang Saen, Korat and I think in Kohn Kaen as well, and NONE of them support the military and most dislike Prayuth.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Opinion surveys are there to shape public opinion, rather than measure it. They predicted that Brexit wouldn't happen, and that Hillary Clinton would win.

Wrong.

You’ve cherry picked a couple of aberrations and pretended that they are the norm (quite dishonest of you there old chap).

Polling is invariably within the margins of error (recent years have seen a step learning curve for pollsters coming to terms with technological changes and their impact on how we now live and communicate. There is also the embarrassment factor, closeted fascists are to ashamed to tell pollsters that they support the likes of Prayuth or Trump, thus throwing out polling results).

What do the Thai people want?

We’ll know soon enough (May 14th)

Do you plan on being amongst the crowds to meet Thaksin at the airport next month after his daughter wins the election?

Edited by MrMojoRisin