New rules for opening a bank account

13 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Terrible, they make it up (the rules) in front of you.

In Australia too, the government used to control and backup the rules well, but now everyone is allowed to do whatever. Within reason of course. If you are a single entity you have very little chance of fighting for what you think should be. How on earth has it come to this. SORRY SIR, NO BANK ACCOUNT FOR YOU.

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

You only get that if u submit 90 day reports

If you mean the certificate of residence then that depends on the location. And even the ones that "require" it usually have ways to get one without waiting 90 days before the first report is due. As usual the answer is "it depends", unfortunately.

3 hours ago, mosan said:

In the unlikely event you haven't figured it out already, "they" already have total control over your money. Just because you can take out a few "cash" bills every now and then means nothing. Try getting your money out of a bank that has a "run" in progress...not happening! 

Governments can freeze bank accounts at a whim, I know that, that said, I have my money in accounts that are guaranteed by the government at $250,000 per account, now if we can't trust government guarantees, we can't trust anyone and might as well stash it under our mattresses as they used to do in the old days.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, tandor said:

for eg. not so long ago some 55 fake Student Visas were granted to certain tourists, who then were able to prove residencey and open bank accounts and obtain licences etc...that's how!

Please state which law was broken by the bank.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I have had a savings a/c with Kasikorn for 16 yrs, I came in on a 45day Visa Waiver three weeks ago, last week I went to open a deposit a/c to bung my 800K in for my O-Visa I plan on getting (most my expat friends told me you'll have problems, you can't do this & that, you need this & that...

Went to my branch in Jungceylon, Patong, Phuket took me about 30 mins, Bank clerk girl at first was telling me I needed a retirement Visa - can not on short stay visa Kaa... I explained need this new a/c for retirement visa, she rang someone, got a wad of papers out asked a few questions from off these pages - she kept mumbling new rules to open a/c. Are  you Teacher? - No, you Study - No, You working - No, I retired... she said ok I do for you - passport Kaa... a few docs, PP, residence docs off landlady with ID and I opened a 6 mth 0.7% Fixed deposit a/c.... I think fact I was long standing customer at that branch helped me and obviously as I look like a fat Brad Pitt if you squint your eyes a bit... 555

I went straight to BiG C bought her a lil 199Baht set of Ferro Roche for her & her team, even the cleaning lady got one... (If you dont ask you dont get...) They were all waving me goodbye as I left happy, bless their little cotton socks

Edited by Lokie

9 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

As stated they required me a letter from immigration proving I had the correct visa. In fact I needed to get the bank account in order to deposit the money before getting the visa so immigration had to testify to the fact I was in the process of applying and eligible.

Why would they require me to do that if I could just hire some "agent" and bypass the rules? However this maybe isn't a law but a rule of the bank itself but I don't know.

Honestly,  an agent will help smooth things out.  If anything it's worth talking with one that's been established for a while and good reputation. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Please state which law was broken by the bank.

no-one mentioned a Bank..someone replied aerler in the thread saying some Visa agent arranging a bank account would be breaking the law..best ask them

6 hours ago, udontomi said:

Different bank have different rules.  Also different BRANCHES of the same bank have different rules.. Keep trying!

Spot on.

I just opened a new bank account in a central province.

Passport & drivers licence only.

Two brilliant friendly girls.

It really is a lucky dip.????????

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 4:39 PM, Dirk Z said:

Does anyone know of a way to get this done?

How to open a bank account   *All visa apply  *No need to hire agents *No need to buy insurance  Follow these steps ....

https://m.facebook.com/groups/PattayaExpatsClub/permalink/10166853675835291/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Edited by Cricky

8 hours ago, Lokie said:

I have had a savings a/c with Kasikorn for 16 yrs, I came in on a 45day Visa Waiver three weeks ago, last week I went to open a deposit a/c to bung my 800K in for my O-Visa I plan on getting (most my expat friends told me you'll have problems, you can't do this & that, you need this & that...

Went to my branch in Jungceylon, Patong, Phuket took me about 30 mins, Bank clerk girl at first was telling me I needed a retirement Visa - can not on short stay visa Kaa... I explained need this new a/c for retirement visa, she rang someone, got a wad of papers out asked a few questions from off these pages - she kept mumbling new rules to open a/c. Are  you Teacher? - No, you Study - No, You working - No, I retired... she said ok I do for you - passport Kaa... a few docs, PP, residence docs off landlady with ID and I opened a 6 mth 0.7% Fixed deposit a/c.... I think fact I was long standing customer at that branch helped me and obviously as I look like a fat Brad Pitt if you squint your eyes a bit... 555

I went straight to BiG C bought her a lil 199Baht set of Ferro Roche for her & her team, even the cleaning lady got one... (If you dont ask you dont get...) They were all waving me goodbye as I left happy, bless their little cotton socks

Oh no. Now look forward to new rule on top of buying accident insurance. You need to buy chocolate if you want to open a bank account. Dang.

20 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I had to get a letter from immigration to open an account and that required a non-O visa. It's simply not possible unless you break the law.

Opening a bank account is illegal without a Non-O visa?  Are you sure that it is just not the banks requirements, not laws?

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Opening a bank account is illegal without a Non-O visa?  Are you sure that it is just not the banks requirements, not laws?

It's probably not that I'm just saying if it's the banks policy to require a non-O and letter from immigration (like for BKK bank in Chiang Mai) and you hire some "agent" which skirts the the rules you could face problems in the future.

Isn't this common sense though? What are these agents doing exactly? Anyways, I know Thailand is a corrupt country so maybe none of this matters and who cares but I don't want to mess around personally.

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

It's probably not that I'm just saying if it's the banks policy to require a non-O and letter from immigration (like for BKK bank in Chiang Mai) and you hire some "agent" which skirts the the rules you could face problems in the future.

Isn't this common sense though? What are these agents doing exactly? Anyways, I know Thailand is a corrupt country so maybe none of this matters and who cares but I don't want to mess around personally.

What problems in the future?

If you need to ask what these agents do, then I doubt that you will have an answer to the question.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

They required a letter from immigration for me. I think these agents are just breaking the law and it could mean your account is closed in the future without notice if the bank branch gets busted.

It may also be very hot tomorrow but cooler with rain in October.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

Sometimes money talks.

I once approached the Bank of Ayudhya to open an account.

Cannot. Need work permit bla bla bla.

Ok, no problem. Can you ask the manager to recommend a bank where I can deposit this 2 million baht .

Wait.

Manager appears and opens the account for me.

I like it! Subtle, no loss of face involved and you got what you wanted.

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Open another account in another bank, in your name, problem solved, give him the debit card + PIN and access code for internet banking and let him do the rest.

"My son would like an account here because ... maybe buying a condo"

So when he needs to use the account (in a third party's name) for the incoming international transfer (condo purchase in his name) the transaction for his condo purchase will not match up with the bank details.   That should be very straightforward, then.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Love It 1

6 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

What problems in the future?

If you need to ask what these agents do, then I doubt that you will have an answer to the question.

So then please tell. I asked all banks in CM if foreigners could open an account and only BKK said yes but they required a letter from immigration. Now I hire an agent (where?) and he goes to the bank with me and now the rules don't apply? 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1