New rules for opening a bank account

It seems that the rules for opening a bank account have been tightened. My son would like an account here because of frequent travel and maybe buying a condo, but he only has a tourist visa and opening of an account is denied, even at the international locations like shopping malls, major offices. Also our banks, where we are good customers (Krungsri, SCB and Bangkok Bank) won't help. Latest I heard is that it depend on the type of visa. We can provide him with a rental contract and as such an address.

Does anyone know of a way to get this done?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hidbehindthesofa said:

Why would a tourist not need a bank account .?

Any tourist who visits frequently or extents their stay on a tourist visa would find a bank account beneficial to avoid ATM charges and fees imposed by their home bank.

Unlike you other comment: you got it!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

An agent can help with necessary paperwork as Im doing the same for my mother coming in on tourist visa . Im told Bank of Bangkok will do through an agency . Make sure is a reputable one . You may be asked to take out an accident insurance policy for one year at Bank of Bangkok . You will need to get a residency paper from where he is staying TM30 . Things HAVE tightened up opening a bank account but not impossible . Other thing if an American there's a few papers need filing for the IRS which many banks just would rather not deal with . Good luck 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

It's just the banks internal rules. Sometimes not even that but just the local branch or even the clerk of the day that makes up their own rules. There's no law to my knowledge that prohibits tourists from opening bank accounts. And if you don't know if it's the law then better not claim that people are breaking the law.

I guess go to the bank and ask them what they require. If say a letter from immigration and you come back with some "agent" then you're probably breaking some rules and it could come back to bite you.  Same for you then, don't tell random people in random areas to hire agents which may or may not break rules of any given bank.

I'm in Chiang Mai and called multiple banks all of which refused except for Bangkok Bank and they required a letter. 

• Haha 1

A few years ago I was on a Tourist Visa but made an offer on a business. I needed a bank account in which to wire funds.

I tried tens of branches of various banks. Only at the main branch of Bangkok Bank on Silom were they amenable. I just needed a notarized letter from my Embassy saying the guy in the passport was me.

Maybe they've subsequently tightened, but in 2021 I had good luck there.

• Haha 2

I just opened another bank account since I needed to go with SCB or Bangkok Bank which are the only ones allowing foreign transfers of <50k. 

I am currently on a tourist visa, and the only thing they wanted was proof of residency. So a rental agreement matching the name in the passport , along with a Thai mobile telephone number, should do it. 

Whole thing was done in 30 minutes with new bank book and card, app downloaded and functioning.

I’m aware it can be inconsistent , but I think it’s easier in tourist areas where they are used to the different types of customer perhaps, and I chose a suitably located branch in an expat area. 

Edited by sureno
Word omit
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Use an agent, ask a visa agent.

Absolutely! This is what I did. Bangkok Bank insisted that I bought their 12 month 'one-off' accident insurance policy. I was previously advised that the policy was worth buying anyway as it included personal accident if I 'came off' a moto. I noted that cover for moto injuries went up to age 65 only. This avoided my having to walk around risking refusals and, to this day, I consider it money well spent.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Absolutely! This is what I did. Bangkok Bank insisted that I bought their 12 month 'one-off' accident insurance policy. I was previously advised that the policy was worth buying anyway as it included personal accident if I 'came off' a moto. I noted that cover for moto injuries went up to age 65 only. This avoided my having to walk around risking refusals and, to this day, I consider it money well spent.

In my case my mother is 89 . I wonder if the bank will still let her open an account without this insurance ? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sureno said:

I just opened another bank account since I needed to go with SCB or Bangkok Bank which are the only ones allowing foreign transfers of <50k. 

I am currently on a tourist visa, and the only thing they wanted was proof of residency. So a rental agreement matching the name in the passport , along with a Thai mobile telephone number, should do it. 

Whole thing was done in 30 minutes with new bank book and card, app downloaded and functioning.

I’m aware it can be inconsistent , but I think it’s easier in tourist areas where they are used to the different types of customer perhaps, and I chose a suitably located branch in an expat area. 

Thank you !