SETV or METV

I am planing to visit Thailand from USA from early December 2023 to end of March 2024 (4 months) am considering two options:

1. Apply for METV then extend for 30 days and then do a short trip out of country. As I understand METV rules on the short trip return my METV is still valid and I will get stamped in for another 60 days?

2. Apply for SETV then extend for 30 days then do short out of country and return on visa exempt?

I noticed on the Thai evisa site checking METV procedure there was a short blurb stating: be prepared to show proof of need lengthy stay. It did not state what proof may be required or where and when required? My first thought it may be at entry immigration counter? Any ideas on this?

Thank you for any assistance 

Edited by Pink Mist
All bold lettering removed

OP,  Both @DrJack54and @Red Phoenixhave offered various valid options for a strategy that allows a stay of 4 months.

I would like to add that the METV could provide you with your 4 months WITHOUT ever having to visit any immigration offices. Anytime a trip to immigration offices can be avoided is a Plus.

Enter for 60 days, make a trip outside Thailand when it is close to expiry and re-enter for an additional 60 days. No extensions required, no visits to immigration. There is a convenience factor.

Anyway, many ways to slice the pie, lots of choices, good luck.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

Anytime a trip to immigration offices can be avoided is a Plus.

I second that.

As you pointed out for a 4 month stay many options.

Regards immigration if the OP is dealing with Bangkok and entered visa exempt he would deal with Laksi immigration and that is handy to Red BTS line and it's possible to make an appointment. 

Which works very well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

When entering on a 60-day Tourist Visa or on a 6 month Multi-Entry tourist Visa and wanting to stay more than 90 days, you would always have to do a border-bounce.

As dr Jack suggested you could even take a flight to Vietnam, and combine the necessary Thailand-exit with a short or longer holiday trip abroad.  Visiting the Angkor Wat in SiemReap, Cambodia is also an attractive option to do that necessary border-bounce (there are many direct flights from Suvarnabhumi to SiemReap).

Note: Be aware that when doing a border-bounce you would lose any remaining days on your Permit to stay, so it is recommended to do it in the final days of that Permit.

This is not the case when applying for a 30-day extension of stay at any Immigration Office as the 30 days would then simply be added to your Permit to stay expiry date.

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thumbs Up 1