14 sections of M81 motorway complete, 11 sections under construction

webfact

image.png

Thailand’s Highways Department is accelerating the construction of Motorway M81, between Bang Yai in Nonthaburi province and Kanchanaburi province, to complete it in January 2024.

The department’s director-general, Sarawut Songsivilai, said that 14 sections of the 25-section, 96km motorway are complete, covering a distance of 70km.

After the completion of all 25 sections, anticipated in January 2024, it will be opened for a free trial run for three months, he said, adding that the entire project, worth about 56 billion baht, is expected to open officially for service in January 2025.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/14-sections-of-m81-motorway-complete-11-sections-under-construction/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

I've been driving across it for a few years now.    It's kind of weird driving past this large highway with no traffic on it.  They have jumped all over the place building it.  I hope they all line up in the end.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rwill said:

I've been driving across it for a few years now.    It's kind of weird driving past this large highway with no traffic on it.  They have jumped all over the place building it.  I hope they all line up in the end.

Yes, it's ridiculous how long this is taking as the route was started nearly 9 years ago. I drive under the completed intersection at the end of the route everytime I go into Kanchanaburi and bushes and trees started growing out of the concrete work several years ago.

1 hour ago, Pique Dard said:

please, also accelerate the teaching of traffic rules!

Considering how young they start, a nice little highway code book taught in schools would make sense to me. 

Once the road is complete though, I will hate going to the Nakhon Pathom transport office even more. It's immediately after the exit road of it, making it incredibly dangerous to enter from the current Malainman Road. TIT. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alien365 said:
2 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

please, also accelerate the teaching of traffic rules!

Considering how young they start, a nice little highway code book taught in schools would make sense to me. 

Once the road is complete though, I will hate going to the Nakhon Pathom transport office even more. It's immediately after the exit road of it, making it incredibly dangerous to enter from the current Malainman Road. TIT. 

Life Skills !!.... 

Schools teach so many subjects which are of-course important, but none more so than those which can save their lives...  Basic safety and attitudes towards safety are sorely lacking in Thailand.

Nearly every person in Thailand will drive a car or ride a bike, teaching road safety in Schools along with other important subjects such as water safety, electrical safety and road safety would go a long way towards filling the gap that so abundantly missing amongst a significant proportion of Thailands population.

This is not a Thai bash, I also argue that road safety and ‘drivers education’ is an incredibly important factor of general education which is missing in the UK... We have strong driver training, but very poor training with regards to pedestrian and cycling safety etc.

A lot of 'life skills’ are not taught in schools and children move into adulthood often missing important skills.

• Like 1

Another facet of Thailands roads is that they are simply so very very busy.... 

There is a huge amount of freight which not only significantly impacts traffic, but also damages roads which require more frequent repairs, additionally, when accidents involve freight lorries the (the common break failure and lap-nai) the impact is far more tragic. 

.... I’m wondering why much of this freight cannot be placed on rail.

This rail freight could also subsidise passenger travel