auto focus spectacles choices ?

3NUMBAS

With nearly half of the world’s population wearing glasses, you can be sure that there are endless options to fit everyone’s needs. However, sometimes a single prescription won’t be enough.

Many specs wearers need different lens strengths for different activities, such as reading, working on the computer, and driving. But let’s be honest – having a different pair of glasses for every occasion is not only inconvenient but expensive, too.

At the moment, adjustable glasses are hitting the market as a one-pair-fits-all sensation. We ordered 5 pairs of best-selling adjustable glasses and put them to the test to see which option gives you the best results.

so how do you feel about variable focus glasses???i have too many glasses 

• Confused 1

It would appear that auto focus lenses are still in the early stages of development (read about them here) So where on earth did the O/P get hold of 5 pairs of the 'best-selling adjustable glasses' from?

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

i tried em in the shop but they seemed hard to get used to

these auto focus glasses have an adjustment knob at top right to bring eem into focus for long medium and short range

It takes a while to get used to varifocals, which entails you moving your head or eyes to be looking through the correct part of the lenses. But once done, much better than turning a knob. If for example you are driving, looking long distance, what when you need to look at the speedo? Or looking at computer screen and need to see your keyboard.

I got Essilor lenses which were expensive, Bht 16000 for the pair, but are superb.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1

I am about to have a couple of minor procedures to remove cataracts and the proposed solution suggests very little or no need for glasses afterwards. (Trifocal lenses in the eyes.)

Friends tell me that it is a 'life changer' - in a good way. No more need for glasses in their case but everyone is different.

https://www.brightviewcenter.com/

A LOT more expensive than glasses though

I will know next month.

Edited by Tropicalevo

The OP is inconsistent, talks about auto focus, adjustable glasses and variable focus glasses.

Can't see how glasses can ever "auto focus".

Glasses have been adjustable since day one, used to pivot over the nose to adjust to face width. Took many of mine to have legs adjusted.

The first variable focus glasses only had 2 focal lengths, quite grim. Progressive focal length was a major improvement, I got my first pair in early 70s and combined with photochromatic the best thing since sliced bread.

Varifocal is not something I would contemplate for surgery, had too many duff glasses to take the risk.

• Like 1

So I've discovered what the O/P is talking about, despite his very misleading headline. 'Auto' my backside!

He's on about very Cheap Charlie manually adjustable specs such as those you can find on Lazada W/S if search for 'adjustable glasses'.

Thanks, but no thanks @3NUMBAS, Like @KannikaP above. I'll stick to my very reliable varifocals that have served me well for at least 30 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I'll stick to my very reliable varifocals that have served me well for at least 30 years.

I would have thought the prescription would have changed in that time. I had about 5 or 6 prescriptions in 45 years.

The third pair I made the mistake of using Vision Express in the UK, I got a refund on the glasses and they let me keep them. Took the glasses and prescription to Thailand, they did excellent job and have done since.

I was needing a new pair in 2019 and decided on the surgery instead. They offered me variofocal lenses but the "No" was out of my mouth before he had finished speaking.

18 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I would have thought the prescription would have changed in that time. I had about 5 or 6 prescriptions in 45 years.

The third pair I made the mistake of using Vision Express in the UK, I got a refund on the glasses and they let me keep them. Took the glasses and prescription to Thailand, they did excellent job and have done since.

I was needing a new pair in 2019 and decided on the surgery instead. They offered me variofocal lenses but the "No" was out of my mouth before he had finished speaking.

Obviously I don't mean the same pair! I mean the same type of lens. I did explore the possibility of having surgery, but my +7.5 astigmic eyes were somewhat beyond their capability.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Obviously I don't mean the same pair! I mean the same type of lens. I did explore the possibility of having surgery, but my +7.5 astigmic eyes were somewhat beyond their capability.

Nothing can be presumed to be obvious but apologies for the misinterpretation.

I also had astimatism but no idea what level. When I was being measured for the lenses the guy did say they also had monofocals for correction of astigmatism but felt they wouldn't be necessary. Said the surgery alone can correct astigmatism and he was right.

I only need glasses in the supermarket now, struggle with what is on the packaging. 

• Thanks 1