UK to be one of worst performing economies this year, predicts IMF

onthedarkside

"The IMF's resources mainly come from the money that countries pay as their capital subscription (quotas) when they become members. Each member of the IMF is assigned a quota, based broadly on its relative position in the world economy. Countries can then borrow from this pool when they fall into financial difficulty."

So the Bank of England was just using UK funds.

https://www.imf.org/en/About#:~:text=The IMF's resources mainly come,they fall into financial difficulty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

"The IMF's resources mainly come from the money that countries pay as their capital subscription (quotas) when they become members. Each member of the IMF is assigned a quota, based broadly on its relative position in the world economy. Countries can then borrow from this pool when they fall into financial difficulty."

So the Bank of England was just using UK funds.

https://www.imf.org/en/About#:~:text=The IMF's resources mainly come,they fall into financial difficulty.

The good thing is for the UK that it will have to contribute less to the imf 

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Better off than the average Somali too.

Find a famine somewhere and the average UK person had more to eat.

Set your standards high.

Top 20 on happiness index. Really though individuals have to find happiness themselves. Also find meaning in life. Nobody will save you. You can only save yourself. 

There is a buddhist saying - if you cannot be happy with a little then you cannot be happy with a lot.

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

Top 20 on happiness index. Really though individuals have to find happiness themselves. Also find meaning in life. Nobody will save you. You can only save yourself. 

There is a buddhist saying - if you cannot be happy with a little then you cannot be happy with a lot.

The topic of discussion is the economy not some happiness nonsense.

I guess you don’t like discussing the state of the economy 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The topic of discussion is the economy not some happiness nonsense.

I guess you don’t like discussing the state of the economy 

The economy isnt bad unless you think it's bad. You choose to be negative or positive. As I said lots of people get rich in recessions. A recession is only 2 quarters of negative gdp growth which is nothing really.

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Cherry picking my post as I have demonstrated.

And now trying to deny it.

Sad

You said it's the long term that matters. I shared that comment. Not cherry picking at all. Not sad either. 

As for cherry picking, why do you only reply to some of my posts, not all? Why not post on all topics? Cherry picking. 5555.

Edited by youreavinalaff

The great depression lasted 6 years. People worrying about some mild recession gee. The internet age sets people off into negative thoughts over nothing. Do you have a roof over your head? Food to eat? Money and passport? Then you are not bad off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

The great depression lasted 6 years. People worrying about some mild recession gee. The internet age sets people off into negative thoughts over nothing. Do you have a roof over your head? Food to eat? Money and passport? Then you are not bad off. 

Actually, a recession isn't even necessarily defined by 2 quarters of negative GDP growth. The US recently experienced a negative 2 quarters in a row but unemployment was very low. And job openings were over 10 million.

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

The economy isnt bad unless you think it's bad. You choose to be negative or positive. As I said lots of people get rich in recessions. A recession is only 2 quarters of negative gdp growth which is nothing really.

The Government’s own data says it’s bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You said it's the long term that matters. I shared that comment. Not cherry picking at all. Not sad either. 

As for cherry picking, why do you only reply to some of my posts, not all? Why not post on all topics? Cherry picking. 5555.

Again quoting me out of context of my full post.

Sorry, I’m not giving you the attention you obviously believe I should be.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Actually, a recession isn't even necessarily defined by 2 quarters of negative GDP growth. The US recently experienced a negative 2 quarters in a row but unemployment was very low. And job openings were over 10 million.

The official measure is 2 consecutive quarters but it's nothing really. Just media spin.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

UK Government data on UK economy.

Your ‘I’m alright Jack’ pov is noted.

So what does that mean? Just averages. Means little really. If people are 1% worse off they are still people off than 90% of people.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

The official measure is 2 consecutive quarters but it's nothing really. Just media spin.

Not in the US

The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) is generally recognized as the authority that defines the starting and ending dates of U.S. recessions. NBER has its own definition of what constitutes a recession, namely “a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales.”

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/what-is-a-recession/

Not in the US

The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) is generally recognized as the authority that defines the starting and ending dates of U.S. recessions. NBER has its own definition of what constitutes a recession, namely “a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales.”

I'm going to sound like your side kick here but, US is not the subject ofvthis topic.

Not in the US

So basically just numbers averaged in a spreadsheet. Unless you lose your job means nothing.

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

So basically just numbers averaged in a spreadsheet. Unless you lose your job means nothing.

Exactly. If unemployment is low, it really makes no sense to call 2 negative quarters a recession. It goes to the question of who is an economy for.

• Like 1