UK to be one of worst performing economies this year, predicts IMF

onthedarkside

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He says by posting a graph confirming the food inflation rate already discussed.

I have no dispute nor view on the current value of food inflation, only when it began to rise, which certainly wasn't in 2016, nor in 2020!

I presume most of you will have read the Guardian article this morning asking why the UK food costs have increased so much. Note how many times it blames Brexit......none! Then note how many times it refers to Covid, supply chains, Ukraine, bad harvests etc!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/19/why-are-uk-food-prices-up-by-19-and-which-foods-are-worst-affected

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I presume most of you will have read the Guardian article this morning asking why the UK food costs have increased so much. Note how many times it blames Brexit......none! Then note how many times it refers to Covid, supply chains, Ukraine, bad harvests etc!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/apr/19/why-are-uk-food-prices-up-by-19-and-which-foods-are-worst-affected

Oh dear Nigel, back to Reading 101.

The article mentions Brexit trade barriers on the first page and later on it quotes a retailer saying shortages of some vegetables and fruits from Spain are an indirect consequence of Brexit. Farmers/ wholesalers will sell to the most accessible market first, ie the EU. Countries outside are at the back of the queue 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, bannork said:

Oh dear Nigel, back to Reading 101.

The article mentions Brexit trade barriers on the first page and later on it quotes a retailer saying shortages of some vegetables and fruits from Spain are an indirect consequence of Brexit. Farmers/ wholesalers will sell to the most accessible market first, ie the EU. Countries outside are at the back of the queue 

“It’s not a direct impact of Brexit, but it’s all about market choices people make.”

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You sure about that?

Experts say soaring energy costs and supply chain disruption set off by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine are the main reasons, alongside rising labour costs, bad weather affecting harvests, and Brexit trade barriers.

Good! Now that I know for sure that you have read the article, at least now you will understand the reasons for the current high food prices so perhaps you'll stop blaming everything on Brexit alone!

Edited by nigelforbes
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Good! Now that I know for sure that you have read the article, at least now you will understand the reasons for the current high food prices so perhaps you'll stop blaming everything on Brexit alone!

The naysayers are suggesting it has nothing to do with Brexit. Nobody is saying it has everything to do with Brexit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

The naysayers are suggesting it has nothing to do with Brexit. Nobody is saying it has everything to do with Brexit.

And according to the graph from Trading Economics that I posted earlier, the stats are saying it has about 5% to do with Brexit, unless there's some kind of delayed reaction (by several years) that only others can see.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

And according to the graph from Trading Economics that I posted earlier, the stats are saying it has about 5% to do with Brexit, unless there's some kind of delayed reaction (by several years) that only others can see.

I believe it was you that implied or claimed that the effects of Brexit should have kicked in moments after the ink on the agreement was signed and not months after it was actually implemented?

• Confused 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

I believe it was you that implied or claimed that the effects of Brexit should have kicked in moments after the ink on the agreement was signed and not months after it was actually implemented?

Nope, go back and read it again, this time without any bias.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, ozimoron said:

Link for that please....................:unsure:

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

To "stop blaming blaming everything on Brexit alone" means somewhere along the way I was blaming Brexit alone for everything . I can't find anywhere I claimed that but I'm sure that you, as someone who claims to prefer objective evidence, will point out where I did just that.

I await the production of such evidence eagerly.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

But you are "eagerly" on the "anti-Brexit" bandwagon at every opportunity, you cannot deny that.......:whistling:

Actually not. I have criticized somewhere in this forum, EU agricultural policy. What was proposed by Brexiters was superior. Although they seem to be failing to follow through.

On the other hand, I can't recall you ever not supporting Brexit.

But even if I had never supported Brexit in any way, what's your point?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

To "stop blaming blaming everything on Brexit alone" means somewhere along the way I was blaming Brexit alone for everything . I can't find anywhere I claimed that but I'm sure that you, as someone who claims to prefer objective evidence, will point out where I did just that.

I await the production of such evidence eagerly.

Blah blah blah PH, give it up and take your anti-Brexit bandwagon home.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

In other words, you've got nothing.

He has everything on this subject....

Sadly, all you have is your obligatory...

"You've got nothing", seems the quote of a cornered individual....????

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, transam said:

He has everything on this subject....

Sadly, all you have is your obligatory...

"You've got nothing", seems the quote of a cornered individual....????

Nigelforbes wrote this:

"Good! Now that I know for sure that you have read the article, at least now you will understand the reasons for the current high food prices so perhaps you'll stop blaming everything on Brexit alone!"

I asked him to produce evidence that I had ever blamed Brexit alone for high food costs. Here is his entire, unaltered reply:

"Blah blah blah PH, give it up and take your anti-Brexit bandwagon home."

I wish I were surprised that you consider NigelForbes evidence-free reply to have some evidentiary value. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, RayC said:

A report in 2020 estimated that Brexit had added 2.9% to UK consumer prices. A previous report put the figure at 1.7%. Given that the UK government's target inflation rate is 2%pa, Brexit appears to have added a significant obstacle to achieving this goal.

https://cepr.org/voxeu/columns/brexit-vote-and-inflation-updated-evidence

I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason why the CPI graph in the link to the blog that you posted looks very different from the CPI graph produced by the ONS. I don't wish to know why etc, just thought I'd mention it in passing. And also, we've got a spot of rain in our neck of the woods, quite refreshing really.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/d7g7/mm23

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, RayC said:

A report in 2020 estimated that Brexit had added 2.9% to UK consumer prices. A previous report put the figure at 1.7%. Given that the UK government's target inflation rate is 2%pa, Brexit appears to have added a significant obstacle to achieving this goal.

https://cepr.org/voxeu/columns/brexit-vote-and-inflation-updated-evidence

Think it's more than that in LOS.............????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Brexit contributed top the inflation rate in LOS?

But actually no,

The annual inflation rate in Thailand slowed to 2.83% in March 2023, less than market expectations of 3.30% and 3.79% in the previous month.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/inflation-cpi

I wasn't referring to Brexit, I was referring to my monthly outgoings here...................:cowboy:.........................????

• Thumbs Up 1