Songkran - Reports from Pattaya

Danderman123

5 hours ago, atpeace said:

Bought a trench coat and duck taped my helmet shield and the ice water is of  little consequence.  A minor inconvenience. 

In this heat, a trench coat or raincoat is extremely hot to wear, so not a minor inconvenience. If our members can't wear trousers to Immigration because they're too hot, how can they possibly bear that?

5 hours ago, atpeace said:

Not that I would do this myself but a squirt gun filled with piss might be a better option than fighting. 

What makes you think that the farangs aren't doing that already? One of our fave little fear-mongering rumors, actually. Surprised it hasn't made its appearance here now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Water is one problem at this bar festival - it doesn't have much to do with Songkran. The other problem is noise. In Tree Town for instance some bars make as much noise as possible. This in a residential area. Nobody cares how many people they annoy. These bars are above the law and can do whatever they want. This city is ruled by bars.

Anyone that lives in TreeTown and expects it to be quiet is an idiot.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Anyone that lives in TreeTown and expects it to be quiet is an idiot.

Tree Town came a couple of years ago. Before there was an empty area. But yes we're all moving away now because of some idiot bar owners... But in the end that's exactly the only solution as the government doesn't care.

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

In this heat, a trench coat or raincoat is extremely hot to wear, so not a minor inconvenience. If our members can't wear trousers to Immigration because they're too hot, how can they possibly bear that?

What makes you think that the farangs aren't doing that already? One of our fave little fear-mongering rumors, actually. Surprised it hasn't made its appearance here now. 

You are right it is a little hot but I'm naked underneath so not all that bad.  As for farangs doing what I suggested already.  News to me but I don't get out much during this period.  A coupler laxative tablets tablets in a drink would also shut down an abusive water sprayer.  Any farang that gets his rocks off blasting people in the face with ice water deserves some consequences. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Wow! I came here to see what fun was being waged in Pattaya. Instead, I find a bunch of haters hating, and the haters of haters hating right back. Ferchrissake, lighten up! I personally hate participating in Songkran, having had my fill years ago, so now I just go hide in my bunker and let the revelers go to town. I honestly hope they're having a great time, and post about it here.

Haters - go away.

So you're a hater of haters of haters of haters. LOL. Dude, Songkran threads have always been the hottest threads on this forum. Just leave all the haters alone and enjoy the ride... or go away.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

I have a very good waterproof poncho that will keep the water out, but it's replaced with body sweat, which is actually worse. We're in the hottest month of the year - shade temperatures are reaching 34C.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I have a very good waterproof poncho that will keep the water out, but it's replaced with body sweat, which is actually worse. We're in the hottest month of the year - shade temperatures are reaching 34C.

Exactly. It's easy to get stuck in traffic and bake in that thing. Moving ain't a lot of relief, either. Little to no air circulation.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

You're surprised by this?

Yes, I was surprised by this. I have never seen this in other countries and I lived in several. And endless complaints by very many people and signature lists didn't change anything. People who want to buy a condo here should think twice. Not so long ago my area was quiet like a graveyard. And I have been living here for almost 30 years. But now it is really time to move and accept that my condo will be very hard to sell.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, petermik said:

Try living over the darkside...Tree Town a residential area?.... nonsense.

11 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Tree Town is surrounded by hotels and condominiums. But of course bars don't have to care about others. And the darkside. If a bar opens next to your home you will have the same problem. Not so long ago there was no Tree Town here. And it is not only Tree Town. It is a general problem that bars can do what they want.

The whole area around TreeTown is commercial....no houses whatsoever the nearest res idential property is as jacko states is Diana Estates which has many long term expats and that is over 100 metres away.

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It was when they built Diana Estate!

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

Yes, I was surprised by this. I have never seen this in other countries and I lived in several. And endless complaints by very many people and signature lists didn't change anything. People who want to buy a condo here should think twice. Not so long ago my area was quiet like a graveyard. And I have been living here for almost 30 years. But now it is really time to move and accept that my condo will be very hard to sell.

I don't know any people that live downtown for these very reasons.

Pratumnak would be my area of choice, either cozy beach or the other side at soi 4 or 5.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I don't know any people that live downtown for these very reasons.

Pratumnak would be my area of choice, either cozy beach or the other side at soi 4 or 5.

Pratumnak 4 and 5 has many bars so still noisy most likely, 1, 2 and 3 would be much quieter plus easy to walk to town

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, petermik said:

no houses whatsoever the nearest res idential property is as jacko states is Diana Estates which has many long term expats and that is over 100 metres away.

Might depend on where you are defining Treetown, but I didn't think it was that far. The noise levels and deep bass might travel somewhat further anyhow. Silly to live in that area and expect peaceful nights... but Diana Estates actually used to be!

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Might depend on where you are defining Treetown, but I didn't think it was that far. The noise levels and deep bass might travel somewhat further anyhow. Silly to live in that area and expect peaceful nights... but Diana Estates actually used to be!

The actual building of Diana Estates is set back from the entrance... opposite the raised walkway at the front of TreeTown and probably more than 100 metres..but yes not far enough to cut out much noise....peace may come in the future as rumour has it that the whole bar area will be flattened and a huge Base type condo complex will be put in place of it....????

1 minute ago, petermik said:

The actual building of Diana Estates is set back from the entrance... opposite the raised walkway at the front of TreeTown and probably more than 100 metres..but yes not far enough to cut out much noise....peace may come in the future as rumour has it that the whole bar area will be flattened and a huge Base type condo complex will be put in place of it....????

I guess you mean Treetown will be flattened and not Diana Estates? More loss of open space, it will be suffocating around there in the evenings after a long sunny day. 

26 minutes ago, petermik said:

In front of the big building are several smaller buildings. In total are more than 300 condos there. And the gate is directly opposite Tree Town. But also the people in the very big Base are suffering and the hotels in this area. One day for sure the whole bar area will disappear. This land is too expensive to be used for this. But just recently they installed several not cheap looking big Tree Town signs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I guess you mean Treetown will be flattened and not Diana Estates? More loss of open space, it will be suffocating around there in the evenings after a long sunny day. 

Give 2 bulldozer drivers a few shots of expresso at 7am and by dark most of Tree Town will be no more......A week or so of clean up and it will be barren ground again....

Point is.......Those Tree Town structures were buit very cheaply (except for the BeerHub) because they know a future tear down will happen....

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

because they know a future tear down will happen....

Yes, getting used to it. There have been a few beer bar complexes vanished in a cloud of dust in the last few years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, grain said:

I know this thread is about Pattaya, but just as a comparison I live out in rural Korat, it's now the 16th, I haven't seen a single soul throwing water or seen anyone with a water gun or water bowl, and apart from my showers not a drop of water has landed on me, yet the locals are going at it hammers & tongs in the local temples. The temples are playing loud Thai pop music, all the locals who want to celebrate Songkran head to the temples and get stuck into it from morning to sunset, nothing at all is happening on the streets. It's gone quiet today, so I guess that's it, 3 days, 13th, 14th, 15th. It's over now. Those who love to celebrate the festival did so and had their fun, those who have no interest were left alone. Beats me why Thailand doesn't do this across the entire country, hold the festival in designated areas like temples, municipal parks, and other special designated areas only. 

You should have come over to Phimai the last 3 days. Mayhem. Hopefully that's the end of it.

20 minutes ago, grain said:

I know this thread is about Pattaya, but just as a comparison I live out in rural Korat, it's now the 16th, I haven't seen a single soul throwing water or seen anyone with a water gun or water bowl, and apart from my showers not a drop of water has landed on me, yet the locals are going at it hammers & tongs in the local temples. The temples are playing loud Thai pop music, all the locals who want to celebrate Songkran head to the temples and get stuck into it from morning to sunset, nothing at all is happening on the streets. It's gone quiet today, so I guess that's it, 3 days, 13th, 14th, 15th. It's over now. Those who love to celebrate the festival did so and had their fun, those who have no interest were left alone. Beats me why Thailand doesn't do this across the entire country, hold the festival in designated areas like temples, municipal parks, and other special designated areas only. 

Yes you're right, they should have designated areas like playgrounds you have for kids

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, grain said:

Beats me why Thailand doesn't do this across the entire country, hold the festival in designated areas like temples, municipal parks, and other special designated areas only. 

Here in Pattaya it is mainly a bar festival. Has not much do to with Songkran. The bars and their "supporters" want to make money. I don't walk around in these areas. But I have seen many empty bars from further away. Do they attract customers or do they keep them away with their water battles and the often insane noise? How is it?

5 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Here in Pattaya it is mainly a bar festival. Has not much do to with Songkran. The bars and their "supporters" want to make money. I don't walk around in these areas. But I have seen many empty bars from further away. Do they attract customers or do they keep them away with their water battles and the often insane noise? How is it?

mostly deter customers by threatening to drown them if they come near the bar.

• Like 1