Songkran - Reports from Pattaya

Danderman123

Put all your stuff, phones, money, keys, cards, condoms, Kamagra, blow, fags etc in watertight bags inside a dive bag, and take only what you really need. Have the bags clearly marked. Pre op, in op and post op. The best laugh is soaking a brand new iPhone. Yeah ok they're waterproof, but you wouldn't want them on display, either, would you?

26 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Want to place money on that? Pattaya starts unofficially on 13th and if you live out Ban Amphur way like I do, goes on until 21st. I don't care what the official line is.

You are correct! It seems Pattaya has started early this year with reports of water 'throwing' having already started? Pattaya has its main Songkran day on the 19th, usually the following day is dry?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

You are correct! It seems Pattaya has started early this year with reports of water 'throwing' having already started? Pattaya has its main Songkran day on the 19th, usually the following day is dry?

Pattaya always starts early. Incorrect - the bars always start early. In areas without bars there is usually no water problem. It's kind of frustrating for a lot of people living here that the bars can annoy everyone with water and noise. Also, selling alcohol 24 hours is no problem for them. If you walk for example into a 7-Eleven next to a bar, you will only be able to buy alcohol during the few hours the law allows.

• Haha 1

How 'safe' is it to drive a motorbike on Beach Rd between Klang and Soi 13, without the risk of getting wet? Is it only the bars on Beach Rd that are risky or also the footpath area too on the opposite side?

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How 'safe' is it to drive a motorbike on Beach Rd between Klang and Soi 13, without the risk of getting wet? Is it only the bars on Beach Rd that are risky or also the footpath area too on the opposite side?

usually just the bars, but you will get rogue people with big pistols on the other side

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

usually just the bars, but you will get rogue people with big pistols on the other side

Is Soi Bhakhao 24 hours a day not 'safe' from keeping dry until the 20th or when does the water start each day on that street?

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Is Soi Bhakhao 24 hours a day not 'safe' from keeping dry until the 20th or when does the water start each day on that street?

No one knows for sure. You could get drenched as early as 7am and as late as 1am during the whole period. Only certainty is that it will all be over on the 20th. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Songkran starts on the 13th, tomorrow officially, but I understand the 19th is the BIG day in Pattaya?

So from tomorrow if you go out, be prepared to get wet?

7 days of fun. It might be the biggest event in years as this is the first real Songkran in Pattaya since 2019.

With most dams in Thailand reaching critically low levels due to hardly any rain for 4-5 months, you'd think there might be some restrictions on wasting water.

https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/thailands-reservoirs-and-dams-reaching-critical-level

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Soi Bukhao is a good example of why the government shouldn't allow this everywhere. They've built a lot of new bars there in the last few months. Lots of people unrelated to bars have to use this Soi. It will be impossible not to get completely wet unless you are in a car.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I haven't been out yet but my wife says there will be no water throwing today.  She's actually right about most things, so I'll be going out later with no fear of getting wet.

Haven’t been out today either, but noticed some big puddles in front of some bars, so I guess they started last night, perhaps, with some more throwing going on tonight...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

With most dams in Thailand reaching critically low levels due to hardly any rain for 4-5 months, you'd think there might be some restrictions on wasting water.

https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/thailands-reservoirs-and-dams-reaching-critical-level

There is always something issued by the government during Songkran to be conservative with water, but nobody listens.  

mains water supply will often run out during this period and thus people (bars etc) will have water delivered 

Those water trucks make good money during this period. 

Edited by MJCM
Spelling
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Soi Bukhao is a good example of why the government shouldn't allow this everywhere. They've built a lot of new bars there in the last few months. Lots of people unrelated to bars have to use this Soi. It will be impossible not to get completely wet unless you are in a car.

banning this on Soi Buakhao, not going to happen.

Just look what happens with the ban of those high powered PVC pipe devices. A couple get confiscated and then it’s business as usual.

those things are bloody dangerous ????

edit old report about those

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/police-attempt-to-curtail-pvc-water-cannon-use-25264

Edited by MJCM
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

There is always something issued by the government during Songkran to be conservative with water, but nobody listens.  

mains water supply will often run out during this water and thus people (bars etc) will have water delivered 

Those water trucks make a good money during this period. 

This year, and 2020 are the driest years I've ever experienced in Pattaya (since 2005). In 2020 there weren't any tourists, so it wasn't as critical. I suppose the council is not talking about it much, so they probably think we'll soon get a lot of rain to fill the dams. Let's hope we do.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Baht buses getting soaked in soi buakow about 3pm by buckets ice water.. Actually refreshing! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Didn't see ANY incidents of "throwing" water

I did an hour or so ago. 2 small bars on Soi Lengkee opposite Opey de Place, Nans Plaza at front centre of Tree Town - the owner had a hosepipe, and Maki bar just up the right turn opposite the market in Soi Buakhow - a motor cyclist turned back from there as it was pretty full on with powder as well.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, biervoormij said:

Do all these people worrying about getting wet melt?

I am more worried about injuries. i still have a scar because some ….. threw water with big ice cubes and it hit me above the eye.

Or those high powered pvc pipes can knock people of their motorbikes

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

banning this on Soi Buakhao, not going to happen.

Just look what happens with the ban of those high powered PVC pipe devices. A couple get confiscated and then it’s business as usual.

those things are bloody dangerous ????

I will tell you what often happens when a Baht bus stops in front of a bar - and there are always traffic jams on Soi Buakhao. They will often throw (ice) water with buckets at the people sitting in the back. They will be completely wet.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Songkran starts on the 13th, tomorrow officially, but I understand the 19th is the BIG day in Pattaya?

So from tomorrow if you go out, be prepared to get wet?

I was trying to figure out the SK calendar...

When I walked home in BKK this afternoon (Wednesday), all the typical places on my soi had their big barrels of water out and buckets and hoses.

But no one on my soi was throwing any water as of my 4 pm return..... I was afraid I was going to get caught out on the way home...

Hopefully, folks will stick to the official calendar here and not start until tomorrow!

I'm now prepared to ride out the next 5 days through Monday entirely and exclusively at home!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

You'll get wet. Besides the Promenade idiots, the bar idiots may cross over from the bars to the beach side and nail you if there's a shot. Avoidance puts you in danger as well. If the traffic's tied up, as it may be, then you'll be a sitting target.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mickeymaus said:

I will tell you what often happens when a Baht bus stops in front of a bar - and there are always traffic jams on Soi Buakhao. They will often throw (ice) water with buckets at the people sitting in the back. They will be completely wet.

Yep and sometimes they (the drivers) also stop on purpose for that reason ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1