Songkran - Reports from Pattaya

Danderman123

19 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Haven’t been out today either, but noticed some big puddles in front of some bars, so I guess they started last night, perhaps, with some more throwing going on tonight...

If you haven't been out today but you noticed some big puddles in front of some bars, I can only assume you are in a condo upstairs.

Good luck this next week(again.)????????

I was in Pattaya this afternoon and it is full-on water throwing outside the beer bars on Beach Road.

Quite a few Russian tourist getting upset at getting wet, but that only makes it worse for them!

Complain, and you're a target for everyone!

The Songkran fun has been missed for the last couple of years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

It always starts on the 11th in the bar areas, every year. 

Main day is the 19th. Big traffic jams, esp on Suk. Naklua, BTW, is the 18th, with all that implies. Has a knock-on effect into Pattaya.

Yes, the 20th is dry. Get out and survey the damage, laugh at the "Songkraned" cars and bikes.

Correction the 20th IS NOT a dry day.....Water throwing still goes on at 1-2-3-4 in the morning of the 20th......And is not 100% over till the sun has risen...

7 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

You obviously have not been driving a motorcycle and some idiot throws a bucket of water on you that blinds you for a few seconds and causes a serious accident!????

Does anyone have that picture saved of the two guys using a water gun and aiming at a girl driving past on motorcycle and the guys laughing like mad. It was in the (IMHO) legendarily Somg Kran FAQ thread which unfortunately has been removed a long time ago for some reason.

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Does anyone have that picture saved of the two guys using a water gun and aiming at a girl driving past on motorcycle and the guys laughing like mad. It was in the (IMHO) legendarily Somg Kran FAQ thread which unfortunately has been removed a long time ago for some reason.

BigStar should know what happend to the Songkran FAQ......He might have gotten bored with it...

Edited by redwood1

1 hour ago, mikeymike100 said:

You obviously have not been driving a motorcycle and some idiot throws a bucket of water on you that blinds you for a few seconds and causes a serious accident!????

I have got a bucket full of water in the face going a bit too fast on the bike but thankfully no accident.  Sorry you were not as lucky.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I left Pattaya heading out of the country tomorrow.

In Bangkok now and it has started water throwing on just abotu every Soi in lower Sukhumvit.

Let the party begin, so glad I won´t be here.

I am stuck at home, Mrs has the truck in bahn khee kwai, I am progressing along the Tom Hanks look in Castaway. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

The Mayor asks people to not splash water on people who do not want to play

The mayor knows for sure that unfortunately targeting such people is the greatest fun. The mayor should make zones to protect such people. Words will not be enough. Unfortunately bars in Pattaya are in very many places and they don't care much about others when it comes to water or noise. Just asking will not be enough.

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Didn't know there was a water festival in Hong Kong.

From the article:

"The event returned to the Kowloon City district on Sunday after the pandemic put celebrations on hold for three years. The district, nicknamed “Little Thailand”, is home to dozens of Thai restaurants and grocery stores frequented by Hongkongers"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, proton said:

You think it's 'fun' to drench people who do not want to be involved? should be classed as assault

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, the Songkran Festival has been widely advertised and if you don't want to get wet, stay indoors for the next few days. If you do venture out, there will be collateral damage?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes i just went for a massage off Buakhao and totally fine coming from 3rd road

Now music blasting, but most bars empty. No water fights, not even on the stretch of Soi Buakhaow I can see from here.

A good number of girls still working in the bars. Also a larger number of freelancers. Surprised that they didn't go home to Esarn.

By the way, one of the bars nearby is just playing a squeaky pop-version of "The Wheels on the Bus". Pretty much explains Pattaya these days for me...

Edited by StayinThailand2much