How to get tax id number with non o?

I have had two Canadian organisations (Bank of Montreal and also Questrade) ask for my Thai tax-ID number.  I simply replied that I had not yet been given a Thai tax ID # and passed to them my Thai Pink-ID card number, noting it could eventually be my Thai tax ID # once activated (but that it was not yet activated).

I previously was on a Type-OA, and then a Type-O, and finally I am now on an LTR visa.  As I posted in another thread, my wife filled in the online form for me to obtain a Thai tax-ID number. That online application goes to Bangkok.  My wife learned the Bangkok tax office passed the application to the Phuket tax office.  The Phuket tax office called my wife and inquired why was I applying for a Thai tax ID and what was my source of income?

My wife noted I am retired, that some years back I initially brought a lot of money into Thailand, and that my current income is my pensions and investment accounts from outside of Thailand. And she noted that I stay in Thailand for greater than 180-days every year.

The taxation office told her that as long as I do not bring the  money I have outside of Thailand, into Thailand, that I do not need to file a Thai tax return, and hence do not need a Thai tax ID #.

My wife then asked how about if I am on an LTR visa and I brought money into Thailand? Would I then have to file a Thai tax return?  The Phuket tax official had never heard of an LTR Visa.  

My wife also asked, given I obtain interest in Thailand from bonds and bank accounts, at what amount would I need to file a Thai tax return for that income (and hence need a Thai tax ID #).

The Phuket tax official stated they would look for the answer for those 2 questions and call my wife back.

That was weeks ago - and we still have no answer back from the taxation official.

I can't help but get the impression that Thai taxation officials are in no hurry to give foreigners Thai tax ID numbers.   Perhaps in the future that could change, but at present time, that is the sense/feeling that I get.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, K2938 said:

Does it matter how much tax has been deducted from the interest on the savings account or can it also be minimal amounts?  Thanks.

It didn't for me when at Department of Revenue to get the tax ID. No financial information was asked, none offered. The amount of tax on interest in my Thai bank account is typically about 250 baht. 

As it is, I would have to file a Thai tax return to refund tax on interest and that requires a lot of foreign banking information to be provided to the bank because of the Double Taxation Treaty. As the information is collected by a contractor on behalf of my bank, I suspect it shields the bank from any unauthorized account data disclosures, so I declined to submit the form and do not file a tax return. 

• Thumbs Up 1