Biden praises EU and UK for compromise deal on Northern Ireland trade

Social Media

Joe Biden has brought words of encouragement and offers of investment on his visit to Northern Ireland to mark the 25th anniversary of the region's Good Friday peace agreement. 

After an informal meeting with Rishi Sunak, the US president expressed support for the British prime minister's compromise deal with the EU on Northern Ireland trade arrangements.    

"Your history is our history, and even more important your future is America's future," he said. "Today Belfast is the beating heart of Northern Ireland and it's poised to drive unprecedented economic opportunity investment from communities across the UK, across Ireland and across the United States. The simple truth is that peace and economic opportunity go together." 

• Like 1

The problem with the Good Friday agreement is that it's outdated. First off, it depends on the good will of both parties. Clearly the DUP has demonstrated that it won't abide by the terms of the agreement by refusing to acknowledge that Sinn Fein's victory gave it the right to head the Stormont parliament.

But there's a more basic problem. The agreement gives special status to Sinn Fein and the DUP. But now there are other parties not religiously based like the Alliance. Why should the DUP and Sinn Fein share exclusive rights to who heads the Parliament?

Edited by placeholder

Nobody in the UK cares what Biden thinks. He needs to reel his neck in, he has enough problems at home. Stay in your lane Joe you seem to be nodding off again and straying into ours.

I do wonder if he referred to our PM as Rashi Sanook again though...????

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Nobody in the UK cares what Biden thinks. He needs to reel his neck in, he has enough problems at home. Stay in your lane Joe you seem to be nodding off again and straying into ours.

Funny. I thought that the Tories really cared about getting to a trade deal with the United States. Now, if Joe Biden were President that could pose an obstacle if he wasn't pleased with UK policy on Northern Ireland. Fortunately for the UK...oh wait a minute...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Although no doubt if we were talking about Donald Trump in this context, you'd be humming a different tune.

The US (mainly through George Mitchell) was instrumental in brokering the Good Friday Agreement.

As POTUS, Biden has every right to take an interest in the continued success of the Agreement.

15 hours ago, RayC said:

Although no doubt if we were talking about Donald Trump in this context, you'd be humming a different tune.

The US (mainly through George Mitchell) was instrumental in brokering the Good Friday Agreement.

As POTUS, Biden has every right to take an interest in the continued success of the Agreement.

Nonsense. Biden/Trump whoever. They need to stay out of UK politics. 

The US days acting as the world's policeman are long gone. They lost all moral authority a long time ago. They should fix their own substantial mess before commenting on other countries issues. 

Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. You'd think they'd have learnt by now. But no, Biden can't help himself especially when he is pretending to be Irish.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Nonsense. Biden/Trump whoever. They need to stay out of UK politics. 

As I pointed out previously, the US were instrumental in brokering the Good Friday deal and it's arguable that it would have been signed without their involvement. 

There are tensions on the island of Ireland again. If the US can help stabilise matters why shouldn't it be involved.

Would you prefer it if the Agreement was allowed to collapse?

The US days acting as the world's policeman are long gone. They lost all moral authority a long time ago. They should fix their own substantial mess before commenting on other countries issues. 

The US days as the only superpower are at an end but that does not mean that the West does not still need the US.

Would you prefer that we left it to China, India or Russia to act as the world's policeman? 

Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. You'd think they'd have learnt by now. But no, Biden can't help himself especially when he is pretending to be Irish.

I agree that US foreign policy in Asia has been a disaster but you can hardly lay the blame for that at Biden's feet.

23 hours ago, placeholder said:

Funny. I thought that the Tories really cared about getting to a trade deal with the United States. Now, if Joe Biden were President that could pose an obstacle if he wasn't pleased with UK policy on Northern Ireland. Fortunately for the UK...oh wait a minute...

Well he's happy with the EU's policy yet still no trade deal with them either.

Perhaps Joe is just bad at doing trade deals? I mean, it's not like he excels in other areas...

5 hours ago, RayC said:

I agree that US foreign policy in Asia has been a disaster but you can hardly lay the blame for that at Biden's feet.

Not only Asia. How about the Middle East?

Perhaps Biden could learn a bit about US interference overseas and conclude that he should really pipe down and mind his own business. His inane comments are neither required nor useful. 

Biden At Ireland Banquet Dinner:

"Let's Go Lick The World"

What message is Biden delivering with that statement or is it just another one of his cognitive brain farts he so often commits and is so renowned for and further testament to his serious mental decay?

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1646611585031454720?s=20

Edited by sudsey

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Well he's happy with the EU's policy yet still no trade deal with them either.

Perhaps Joe is just bad at doing trade deals? I mean, it's not like he excels in other areas...

Or perhaps, unlike you,  he understands that trade between the EU and Europe is largely free anyway. Tariffs are low or even nonexistent for the most part. Not going to make much of a difference either to the UK economy or the EU's.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Not only Asia. How about the Middle East?

Perhaps Biden could learn a bit about US interference overseas and conclude that he should really pipe down and mind his own business. His inane comments are neither required nor useful. 

I think as far as inanity goes, not only do you easily  beat Biden, but I think you would even give Trump a serious run for his money.

• Like 1