Changing childs name after divorce

2008bangkok

I have been married to my wife for 16 years, we are soon getting a divorce at the ampur.

She is forcing this on me because she will not help in renewing my EOS.

So my understanding is the only way to renew my EOS thus staying in Thailand is to have full custody of at least one child, which for me is just a formality to stay in the country.

She is saying out of spite she wants full custody of our second child which is a girl (first is a boy), so basically im being forced into this.

To show the nastiness and this is my question her plan is to then change the last name of our daughter to her maiden name after she gets full custody. This has never been her name always mine

Is she able to do this because it would hurt me alot

I am the biological father, on the birthday certificate and married at the time of birth

Seems 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

From the perspective of the child (any of them): Wouldn't it be best for each child to have the same last name as the parent who takes care of them?

Not at all, i disagree that is not my daughter's surname so why change it.

That's like saying if she got remarried change the name again to another mans surname, then should she get divorces again, change it back again.

if children or property is involved : DO NOT DIVORCE AT AMPHUR  !!!

I speak of experience...  a judge in family court will hardly give sole custody... so it is by definition shared...

Once you have the divorce...   you do your extension based on being a parent of your thai child...

changing names, no experience, but probably need consent of both parents and off course a judge to rule over this...

your wife , out of spite, sounds too familiar...  she will not help with anything, she will try to make your life even more hell as you think it is...

Divorcing at amphur gives you 7 days to go beg for at immigration, that you get and you have to go same day or next after amphur divorce as your extension will be invalid...  thank you thailand for this nice law right...while your thai wife would have gotten long term residency in your country, just for marrying you... but TIT

Option if your extension is due soon but wife will not help (as did mine) ?  find an embassy (ex. Penang) to go get you a multiple entry visa...

depends if you are almost 50 or over... then retirement would be an option, but I guess this is not the case ?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, john donson said:

if children or property is involved : DO NOT DIVORCE AT AMPHUR  !!!

I speak of experience...  a judge in family court will hardly give sole custody... so it is by definition shared...

Once you have the divorce...   you do your extension based on being a parent of your thai child...

changing names, no experience, but probably need consent of both parents and off course a judge to rule over this...

your wife , out of spite, sounds too familiar...  she will not help with anything, she will try to make your life even more hell as you think it is...

Divorcing at amphur gives you 7 days to go beg for at immigration, that you get and you have to go same day or next after amphur divorce as your extension will be invalid...  thank you thailand for this nice law right...while your thai wife would have gotten long term residency in your country, just for marrying you... but TIT

Option if your extension is due soon but wife will not help (as did mine) ?  find an embassy (ex. Penang) to go get you a multiple entry visa...

depends if you are almost 50 or over... then retirement would be an option, but I guess this is not the case ?

Cheers for advice.

My understanding is that

1.. if you agree.on everything the kids cn be sorted out also at ampur

But more importantly

2. They wont issue an extension if when divorced I don't have sole custody of at least 1 child, at the time of renewal, which is soon.

Im not yet 50 but close lol

Kinda sad really the immigration do this but that's what i understand 

Edited by 2008bangkok

10 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

Cheers for advice.

My understanding is that

1.. if you agree.on everything the kids cn be sorted out also at ampur

But more importantly

2. They wont issue an extension if when divorced I don't have sole custody of at least 1 child, at the time of renewal, which is soon.

Im not yet 50 but close lol

Kinda sad really the immigration do this but that's what i understand 

says whom ?

You need to proof to immigration that you have shared custody... ampur will not do that for you, but a mutual divorce agreement in family court will ... written, on paper... 

but in my case, my ex-wife signed so many things in front of the judge and respected none, knowing she would get away with it...

if you can prove you pay for your child's education, aka bill from school, in my case they even asked for pictures of the child IN THE SCHOOL, with school emblem, etc... thank god we had some on the phone...

and you have a place of your own, and space for your child and take pictures like for marriage, but with your child, and money in the bank... same as for marriage...

sole custody will only be awarded by a judge, if they is proven abuse of the child by the other spouse... or the ex is so poor she sells the child to you...

my ex was out to f. me in every way starting to leave the place we lived to unknown location, so I could not extend... then she would ghost me and my child ... no way of being able to leave the country, nor to extend normally ...   dodgy agents quoting 60k or more to 'fix' this... 

watch out for dodgy lawyers or even people here on TV recommending their good friend, which in fact is their relative , like misery hunters out for a prey...

I had quotes of lawyers that asked 100k to write 1 little paper for when my ex did not follow our agreement in court and off course promised nothing, except their fees being paid in advance...