Buying A Cheap Android Box?

dddave

If you are considering buying a cheapo Android box, I suggest you watch this YT video from "Linus Tech Tips" (LTT)

LTT is one of the most popular tech blogs though he has been accused of mixing paid promo with content, as have many media vloggers.  That aside, I think this is a warning regarding built-in malware worth watching.  He gets kind of technical at times but the idea comes across.

Thanks for posting that.

I have seen him before but I found this one pretty irritating and the IFixit segues especially so but the overall message does not surprise me.

Its a shame however that he didn't give a link to a video clearly explaining how the average punter could use ADB to check if they wanted.

I used Android boxes for years before a friend gave me a small Windows 10 "box" computer (about 4.5" x4.5"x1.25" in size) a couple of years ago .  It wasn't powerful enough to run an Android emulator but I found I didn't need Android for what I use the computer for - internet, YouTube, and VLC for downloaded TV shows.  I used a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with it and it is used my TV as the monitor and for showing videos.

I recently bought a BMAX B2 Plus box computer as a replacement.  It is about the same size as the older one but 2" high.  It came with Windows 11 and a 1 Terabyte Solid State Drive for about 9000 Bt.   Windows 11 is a royal pain in the back side so I recommend you replace it with Windows 10 (Google for how to do this).  There are many models of BMAX box computers listed on Lazada so check them out an pick out the one you want.

I have encountered one problem with my BMAX - a jumping cursor, usually when using video applications such as YouTube or VLC.  After all the suggested fixes found on Google failed I finally traced the problem down Windows 11 having this problem when I had my 1 Terabyte WD Passport portable hard drive plugged into the BMAX.  The solution was simple, unplug the Passport.  Now I only use the drive or a memory stick to transfer files to the internal 1 Terabyte SSD and do YouTube or use VLC with files on the internal SSD files when the Passport or stick isn't plugged in.

One advantage of this solution is that it gives me a backup Windows computer should my larger and more powerful desktop computer fail.

Edited by HarrySeaman

3 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

for about 9000 Bt.

Very nice but I would suggest that most people don't really want to spend that sort of money on an android box or equivalent considering they generally cost between 1k and 2.5k baht.

If I wanted to I would just plug my laptop into the TV for the same effect.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

I recently bought a BMAX B2 Plus box computer as a replacement. 

I've had an earlier version of the BMax B2 for about 2 years that I use for internet and streaming on my TV.  Mine came with Win 10 Pro, 8gb ram and only a 64GB eMMC boot drive.  There was a slot for a SATA 3 SSD and I installed a 512GB unit. The BMax was about B6500 at that time,

In the first year, windows crashed several times.  The final time with the BSOD and could not be revived.  The consensus of various Windows gurus was that the version was a corrupt copy installed by the manufacturer.  I had to do a clean install of a legitimate new copy of Win 10 and it has functioned pretty well since then.  I changed the boot drive to the 512GB SSD and that improved things considerably.

The only issue I currently have is that HDMI ports often require a bit of fiddling to get them to connect to the TV.

I also have a Intel NUC mini Windows computer that has a very similar form factor running on my main living room TV.  It also runs Windows 10.  It has been trouble free since day one. Base cost was about B6000 but boosting memory and adding an SSD brought the cost up to about B9K.

Edited by dddave

17 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

I don't know how much an android box "should" cost but i bought a one for 2,000 baht 3 years ago, fully loaded with apps and i've added a couple myself. Money very well spent

Did you actually read the OP or watch the video before you commented??

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Get the mi Box  4k from Lazada. 

Check out Troypoint. Com or similar website on how to set up your box. 

I've been doing it for years.  You can virtually watch anything, anytime. 

Screenshot_20230415_134243_Lazada.thumb.jpg.e488e4cd697ae8bd7a5bf6a5adcbaddb.jpg

You recommend the Mi Box S, but link to illustrations of the Mi TV Stick….

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Get the mi Box  4k from Lazada. 

Check out Troypoint. Com or similar website on how to set up your box. 

I've been doing it for years.  You can virtually watch anything, anytime. 

Screenshot_20230415_134243_Lazada.thumb.jpg.e488e4cd697ae8bd7a5bf6a5adcbaddb.jpg

For a little bit more money, you can get the Amazon Firestick 4K, or 4K Max. I find it to be less clunky than the Xiaomi.

I took my 4K Max to BKK last week, connected it to the TV in my hotel room, then to the WiFi. 

I have a VPN installed on it and was watching BBC iPlayer within a couple of minutes.

As stated in the video, the Shield is best, but a whole different price range, and not as portable as the Firestick.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JayClay said:

The average punter cannot use ADB to check.

People who can use ADB to check will already know that they can.

A little elitist no.........

I disagree. People can learn and basic ADB set up and simple commands are not difficult - plenty of online help.

Specific commands however to output what he is seeing would have been useful.

Just now, topt said:

A little elitist no.........

No. Not at all.

The "average punter", target of the video, has no interest in this and has little interest in doing so.

As you say, there are plenty of videos out there for people who do want to know.

And it's not just a case of running a few adb commands. You need to know when to do the scans, and how to actually analyse the data.

The video would need to be 3 times as long to even begin scratching the surface of what's required for "average punter" to be able to do their own security assessment. Well outside of the scope of the video's target audience, not to mention opening themselves up for all kinds of negative feedback from viewers in the future saying things like "I followed your instructions and thought I was secure but now [something has happened] and it's your fault for telling me I'd be fine if I just did this"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NextG said:

You recommend the Mi Box S, but link to illustrations of the Mi TV Stick….

There you go. 

Screenshot_20230415_182010_Lazada.thumb.jpg.5bb41621e48e2f8562efcf1a000a9f95.jpg

Stick came out recently.  Box you can add storage via USB dongle if you like to download content or have a plethora of apps. 

Stick looks great for travel.

There great compared to cheap android boxes because there constantly updated. 

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

There you go. 

Screenshot_20230415_182010_Lazada.thumb.jpg.5bb41621e48e2f8562efcf1a000a9f95.jpg

Stick came out recently.  Box you can add storage via USB dongle if you like to download content or have a plethora of apps. 

Stick looks great for travel.

I think you’ll find all prices there are for the sticks, regardless of what the picture shows…

Stick is lower spec. Only 1GB of RAM. 

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

For a little bit more money, you can get the Amazon Firestick 4K, or 4K Max. I find it to be less clunky than the Xiaomi.

I took my 4K Max to BKK last week, connected it to the TV in my hotel room, then to the WiFi. 

I have a VPN installed on it and was watching BBC iPlayer within a couple of minutes.

As stated in the video, the Shield is best, but a whole different price range, and not as portable as the Firestick.

I've got all 3.

I find the Mi Box best for myself.  

I've read that the Amazon Firestick might have some problems sideloading 3rd party apps in the future, but it works great for you ????

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NextG said:

I think you’ll find all prices there are for the sticks, regardless of what the picture shows…

Stick is lower spec. Only 1GB of RAM. 

Nope. 

I've bought plenty from Lazada.   You'll even have choices for the global or Chinese versions. 

Screenshot_20230415_195726_Lazada.thumb.jpg.ac5edf943f0a9aa557740403532c5337.jpg

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Nope. 

I've bought plenty from Lazada.   You'll even have choices for the global or Chinese versions. 

Screenshot_20230415_195726_Lazada.thumb.jpg.ac5edf943f0a9aa557740403532c5337.jpg

Once again, the prices shown are for the Stick and not even the 4K stick. 
If you look carefully at the picture that you have posted, you will see the word ‘Variations’ near the bottom left. That means you have to choose from the three offered. The 1450 is for the Mi Stick. Likely 1750 for the Mi Stick 4K and 1990 for the Mi Box S(which is likely OOS anyway). Pay attention to these things if you are going to make recommendations. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

You don't want your android box to upgrade to the latest android. Google continually adds restrictions that will make much of what works on Android 11 won't work on android 12 or 13. The old adage applies where if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

You don't want your android box to upgrade to the latest android. Google continually adds restrictions that will make much of what works on Android 11 won't work on android 12 or 13. The old adage applies where if it ain't broke don't fix it. 

If you are using an old Android Box that doesn't offer upgrades anymore and is satisfying your needs then by all means good on you. 

My Nvidia and Mibox 4k are still pushing out upgrades and security updates and it's working great. 

Upgrades or not these Android Box devices are great especially if you are stuck up here in Issan!

Ready for NBA playoffs. 

Edited by MrJ2U

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

If you are using an old Android Box that doesn't offer upgrades anymore and is satisfying your needs then by all means good on you. 

My Nvidia and Mibox 4k are still pushing out upgrades and security updates and it's working great. 

Upgrades or not these Android Box devices are great especially if you are stuck up here in Issan!

Ready for NBA playoffs. 

Mi Box S 4K is stuck on Android TV version 9. It began at Android TV 8.1. Hardly groundbreaking. 

I went with one of these: https://trustonx.com/product/player-tox3-4gb-ram-ddr3-32gb-nand-amlogic-s905x4-media-player/

https://tvboxstop.com/latest-android-tv-boxes/tox3-tv-box-must-see-best-tv-box-for-the-year-under-60/

Only thing missing is Widevine Level 1. 

Take it easy old man. No need to get apoplectic over your mistakes being pointed out to you. Everyone makes mistakes. But if you don’t acknowledge them, you are destined to repeat them. 

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

I was thinking of buying a firestick but didn't think you could connect a wired mouse which i prefer, anyway the 1,000 baht box i bought is perfect for what i need

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Mi Box S 4K is stuck on Android TV version 9. It began at Android TV 8.1. Hardly groundbreaking. 

I went with one of these: https://trustonx.com/product/player-tox3-4gb-ram-ddr3-32gb-nand-amlogic-s905x4-media-player/

https://tvboxstop.com/latest-android-tv-boxes/tox3-tv-box-must-see-best-tv-box-for-the-year-under-60/

Only thing missing is Widevine Level 1. 

Take it easy old man. No need to get apoplectic over your mistakes being pointed out to you. Everyone makes mistakes. But if you don’t acknowledge them, you are destined to repeat them. 

I have a couple of the tox3 boxes. Great stuff. Have an hk4 box with similar specs that's garbage. 

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I was thinking of buying a firestick but didn't think you could connect a wired mouse which i prefer, anyway the 1,000 baht box i bought is perfect for what i need

Apparently so.

I have one, I find the amazon App Store too restrictive, it's georestricted .. you can side load apps from a secondary App Store. I use it to add a VPN to my TIzen OS TV and then watch BBC Live, other than that I have an Apple TV.

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Apparently so.

I have one, I find the amazon App Store too restrictive, it's georestricted .. you can side load apps from a secondary App Store. I use it to add a VPN to my TIzen OS TV and then watch BBC Live, other than that I have an Apple TV.

I just loaded a few movie apps and sport apps from the web, works for me, no need for IPTV service