At least 20 injured, multiple dead from shooting at Alabama birthday party, reports say

Scott

25 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Prohibition was created by an amendment to the constitution. Then it was amended again to end prohibition. See? Can be done. 

Given that we couldn't ratify the ERA there is no way that the Second Amendment would ever be eliminated.

That said, I would support the repeal of the PLCAA.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-congress/senate-bill/397/text

To prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued
 against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms
or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the
misuse of their products by others. <<NOTE: Oct. 26, 2005 -  [S. 397]>>

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder if the constitution also upholds the right to buy ammunition. If not, uphold the constitution by allowing gun sales but ban the sale of ammunition and the problem is solved. Simples.

SCOTUS would (IMO) say that restricting access to ammunition infringes on the right to keep and bear arms.

12 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So much anger and hate in the US population in the last few years.

Very sad.

It's always been there. Even in my lifetime there has been a hatred of blacks, forcing them to use separate schools, use separate entrances to buildings, making them sit in the back of buses. And so on. And so on. The USA has never been a great example of humanity.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, riclag said:

There  is a minority ,who are lawless and mentally challenged  who abuse this everyday .

It’s ridiculous to punish the majority who use the right to have guns especially for protection 

because of a small minority who abuse the rights.

The majority always gets punished because of a small minority,seems necessary and people accept it.

Laws get changed all the time all over the world.

Wait,the majority is being killed by a small minority?

It is happening,slowly but surely.

Change the law!Bunch of ignorant people!

The next time an American politician says time for prayers, he should be taken down. Something needs to be done. American politicians are very weak and in constant fear of fighting a constitutional amendment that was written at a time when militias were needed and guns were manual and fairly primitive.

Everything has changed, and the amendment does not have the same meaning, nor should it. Violence is out of control, yet they do next to nothing about it.

America seems to adore it's violence.

According to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit that tracks shootings in the US, there have been 214 mass shootings in 2022 alone. And nearly that amount so far in 2023. That is a cry for help. That is a spectacularly sad statement about cultural and moral decline. 

The United States has far more lax firearm laws and policies compared to other countries — the federal right to own a firearm is even baked into the United States' constitution via the Second Amendment. 

https://www.insider.com/number-of-mass-shootingsin-america-this-year-2022-5

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Everything has changed, and the amendment does not have the same meaning, nor should it. Violence is out of control, yet they do next to nothing about it.

Changed .. not sure about that.  The govt is a bit tyrannical IMHO   I'm of the opinion, 'lose right to bear arms, and you'll lose the rest of your rights'.

Out of control ... yes, and why if I still lived there, I'd be armed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

'lose right to bear arms, and you'll lose the rest of your rights'.

What other rights would you lose?

Again an old line used often but like others it has no real meaning,times change!

I look at it differently,with every right comes responsibility and there fore

it becomes a privilege and should be treated as such.

The right to bear arms is already being stepped upon in many cases.

Prayers will just not do the trick,common sense will.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

What other rights would you lose?

Again an old line used often but like others it has no real meaning,times change!

I look at it differently,with every right comes responsibility and there fore

it becomes a privilege and should be treated as such.

The right to bear arms is already being stepped upon in many cases.

Prayers will just not do the trick,common sense will.

If I have to explain .. you wouldn't understand.

Have a nice day.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I am not American by birth so I do not have the right to make a statement, but I can say that the UK banned private ownership of all guns over .22 calibre and with the exception of shotguns back in the '90's.

The availability and use of such guns is now entirely in the hands of criminals and youth gangs in inner cities.

The way forward to allow the sport to continue (for most it was a sport) and to prevent access to guns was never explored. 

The law was enacted suddenly in a storm of media protest and political fear.

I believe it is possible to restrict ownership of guns to responsible sports people if the will is there, politically.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's always been there. Even in my lifetime there has been a hatred of blacks, forcing them to use separate schools, use separate entrances to buildings, making them sit in the back of buses. And so on. And so on. The USA has never been a great example of humanity.

Indeed. Now we have revenge politics. Hatred of whites, the successful etc.

Maybe time to break the cycle, no?

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed. Now we have revenge politics. Hatred of whites, the successful etc.

Maybe time to break the cycle, no?

Never going to happen, I'm afraid. Humans simply don't like humans. You know, not wanting anyone to sit next to you on a bus or train, kids bullying other kids at school - now, where does that come from other than an inbred dislike of fellow humans. My religion is better than your religion, border lines that only humans recognise drawn in the sand with the threat that if you if you cross into my country I'll kill you. It just goes on and on. Currently we have rival army factions killing each other and civilians in Sudan. Not good, is it.

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

When the ten year law ceased to be in effect, did gun killings rise again?

Has drug use and gangs increased since .... yes

Guns don't kill ... people do.

The guns have always been here, people's moral compass has changed, not the guns.  

How many have been killed by 'assault weapons/full automatic weapons'.   For that matter, how many have ever been killed by legal  'assault weapons/full automatic weapons', since 1930.

I think the answer is 3 people, which I've posted before, and I think both incidents were in Ohio.

Suggest you research before you post.

Have a nice day

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Guns don't kill ... people do.

Place a lot of guns some where,nothing will happen.

Now give those guns to people and see what happens.

If guns do not kill ,why would you need a gun?

Maybe us simple people can not understand

but luckily there are some bright people among us but they are not letting us in on the secret,or maybe they have no answer?

Have a nice day.

Edited by jvs
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, Tug said:

It’s in the republican court they bear responsibility for the criminally lax gun control laws this issue along with others will cost them dearly in up coming elections so be it,I’m predicting a dem supermajority within 4 election cycles perhaps then and only then will this issue be resolved.my apologies if an earlier post offended but that being said I find it deeply offensive that the slaughter of our children is allowed to continue we need to get a handle on this.vote out the politicians that refuse to advocate for stricter gun control laws let’s get this done!

The latest tragedy was in Dadeville,  Alabama which, not to my surprise is  Republican state. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65293737

As the town woke to the news on Sunday, Alabama's state governor Kay Ivey said: "This morning, I grieve with the people of Dadeville and my fellow Alabamians.

"Violent crime has no place in our state, and we are staying closely updated by law enforcement as details emerge," the governor added in a statement on Twitter.

Ivey is a strong supporter of second amendment rights - the right to keep and bear arms - and last year signed legislation ending a requirement to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun in public.

Her candidacy for last year's governor election was endorsed by the National Rifle Association.

Well governor Kay Ivey, the responsibility is 100% yours aided and abetted by the NRA and the GOP.

Crocodile tears are NOT acceptable. Your resignation would be the only acceptable gesture at this point.

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Maybe if you would explain it i would understand,maybe i am not alone in this.

Why do you think you are so much better then i am?

Again ... if you have to ask ...

... nuff said

Have a nice day

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Changed .. not sure about that.  The govt is a bit tyrannical IMHO   I'm of the opinion, 'lose right to bear arms, and you'll lose the rest of your rights'.

Out of control ... yes, and why if I still lived there, I'd be armed.

Nothing wrong with being armed. I am not against guns. I am very against one person possessing 10-100 of them. 

220701-Gabriele-Galimberti-5-ew-416p-445779.jpg

guns-2.jpg

W4NDWJ53TIPPKVZS5FA3VBLL2I.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They can only shoot one at a time.  Collectors collect, I had 16 firearms, 8 hand/8 long.

Had 4 cars 2 scooter at 1 time.

Had 20 drones at 1 time.

How many is a bit irrelevant.

I thought you might............:ermm:

• Like 1