Koh Samui passenger ferry half sinks in heavy seas at Donsak port - no deaths or injuries

webfact

Raja Ferry’s are a total embarrassment to the tourists who come to visit the islands in the gulf of Thailand. The run down ships spew massive dark black clouds of exhaust extending for hundreds of meters day in and day out. Sitting on my beach house balcony in Koh Phangan I have watched countless sunset spoiling Raja Ferrys.  Take some corporate responsibility and drain the tanks on each ship, sink the fleet, create some dive sites and structure for fish and buy some decent ships!

20 hours ago, racket said:

By the look of this thing, one would wonder if it was just a matter of time. I have been inside this ferry before and let me tell you, the whole structure is rotten from the bottom up. These things were going 24/7 and the question is if they ever gets maintained.

The reason that i never use RAJA. The other service  SEATRANS is perfect with clean well maintained boats.

19 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Maintainance and Thailand should not be mentioned in the same paragraph. Thai Air is a disaster waiting to happen almost banned from Europe & USA a few years ago over maintainance issues. But of course maintainance cost money 

and planning.

On 4/18/2023 at 1:14 AM, Taco said:

Raja Ferry’s are a total embarrassment to the tourists who come to visit the islands in the gulf of Thailand. The run down ships spew massive dark black clouds of exhaust extending for hundreds of meters day in and day out. Sitting on my beach house balcony in Koh Phangan I have watched countless sunset spoiling Raja Ferrys.  Take some corporate responsibility and drain the tanks on each ship, sink the fleet, create some dive sites and structure for fish and buy some decent ships!

It's a regional thing.

I used to work out of Vung Tau, caught the hydrofoil from HMC, VT and back once a month.

It was in poor condition but it got us there safely.

It helps having a bar on board, makes the trip more fun.

Edited by Cricky

23 hours ago, tgw said:

every time I read "heavy seas" and it's about the gulf of Thailand I chuckle

Me too....I was a North Sea Diver many years ago and the Dive Ships were not much bigger than these car ferries. In fact 2 of the ships I worked on were converted car ferries.

If you got a Force 10 storm it was a bit "hairy" to say the least.

image.jpeg.9842d390baf85a2ce9b8f68250c51b48.jpeg

https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2016/02/10/6532490547098765359/960x540_6532490547098765359.mp4

• Like 1