Does anyone agree with her demands?

Well maybe if they make enough noise airlines will at least create bigger seats as a paid option.

Right now the seats are pretty much unfit for purpose even for slim people. I'd happily pay 50, or even 60% extra for a 50% wider seat , but the airlines aren't interested in that. They want to make your journey so uncomfortable that you're willing to fork out for business class.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Well maybe if they make enough noise airlines will at least create bigger seats as a paid option.

Right now the seats are pretty much unfit for purpose even for slim people. I'd happily pay 50, or even 60% extra for a 50% wider seat , but the airlines aren't interested in that. They want to make your journey so uncomfortable that you're willing to fork out for business class.

But as usual she said the key word that most are yelling out loud: "Free".  Many might support her if she had said in a humble manner that because of her large size she would be willing to pay extra for a larger seat.  I do recall that there are things called "Business" class seats that are bigger.   But what I do know. 

This just appears to be a growing trend in America where 1) It is not my fault 2) It is not my responsibility 3) It has to be free or someone else has to pay.

The other con that I have heard from some former Law Enforcement friends is this.  When a black person is stopped for shoplifting many are saying "this is reparations for slavery and you can't arrest me".  Kind of odd because California never had slaves from Africa. 

I might be going back to the US permanently next year and I can't wait to sell all this in person. Actually not really.

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Why I don't travel international.   I can take about 1-2 hours in the back of the bus.   Worked for airlines, and spoiled with First Class.   Flew economy 2X TH - USA - TH .. screw that.   Thankfully one of those times, they cancelled my flight, and had to upgrade me on my return ????

I don't know how y'all do it.  TH is not worth the ride to get here, IMHO.

4 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

But as usual she said the key word that most are yelling out loud: "Free".  Many might support her if she had said in a humble manner that because of her large size she would be willing to pay extra for a larger seat.  I do recall that there are things called "Business" class seats that are bigger.   But what I do know. 

I mentioned business class seats in the very post you quoted. They're around 3 to 4 times the price of a normal seat so not a realistic option for most of us.

I'm also aware that she was demanding free seats; it's in big bold letters on the video thumbnail. 

I'm not interested in if people support her or not. But if there was a video about somebody who wanted the option to pay a bit extra for a bigger seat I assure you that it would get zero traction on social media.

She won't get her demands. But if a group of people like her get together and try to strong-arm the airlines (which is seemingly the only way to get any change, unfortunately), they just might end up with a compromise solution that would happen to suit me. Unlikely I know. But it's nice to fantasize.

• Sad 1

Business class of late is no longer what it was. In the past business class tickets were 100% refundable and flexible. Now they cost an arm and a leg to cancel and/or reschedule unless you buy business class premium which is 5 to 6 times the price of economy!

The trick is they sell you a ticket they say can be rebooked for cheap PROVIDED there are vacancies in the same class coding as the original ticket. Unsurprisingly, when you try to rebook there are seldom such vacancies.

In the future, I have a good mind to downgrade myself to economy flexible. If I take one zolpidem two hours after take off and redose when it wears out, a 12-hour flight reduces to 4-hour. With the money I thus save I can pay one-month hotel bills.

22 minutes ago, JackGats said:

In the future, I have a good mind to downgrade myself to economy flexible. If I take one zolpidem two hours after take off and redose when it wears out, a 12-hour flight reduces to 4-hour. With the money I thus save I can pay one-month hotel bills.

I'm thinking of booking 2 economy seats in my name for my next flight. However I also need additional baggage and I have a horrible fear the airlines have small print somewhere that means you wouldn't get the additional luggage for the second seat. Anybody know anything about that? I'm not paying double for my seat and then extra for luggage, too.

26 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I'm thinking of booking 2 economy seats in my name for my next flight. However I also need additional baggage and I have a horrible fear the airlines have small print somewhere that means you wouldn't get the additional luggage for the second seat. Anybody know anything about that? I'm not paying double for my seat and then extra for luggage, too.

Make sure they will honour your booking of two seats next to one another then, otherwise you'll be paying for another passenger's comfort. For all I know they might even realocate your doppelganger seat.

Edited by JackGats
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

Make sure they will honour your booking of two seats next to one another then, otherwise you'll be paying for another passenger's comfort. For all I know they might even realocate your doppelganger seat.

Yea good point, thanks. You can usually select your seat(s) so it shouldn't be an issue unless there's a last-minute flight merge or something.

Many years ago I had to fly from Kuwait to Cairo.

First class were the only seats available and the company was paying the bill.

The Middle Eastern lady in the seat next to me had to have an extension seat belt because she was so huge.

3 hours ago, JayClay said:
4 hours ago, JackGats said:

Yea good point, thanks. You can usually select your seat(s) so it shouldn't be an issue unless there's a last-minute flight merge or something.

Nope... there’s flaws in this...

Unless, just like Air-New Zealand people can book 3 Economy Seats as a ‘sky-couch’ in single passengers name. 

The issue with most Airlines is that even if you book and pay for 2 seats, when you check in, you are only checking-in one person on one ticket, you can’t check-in one person on two tickets and get two boarding passes for one person - thus, the seat next to you may very well be given to another fare paying passenger. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The issue with most Airlines is that even if you book and pay for 2 seats, when you check in, you are only checking-in one person on one ticket, you can’t check-in one person on two tickets and get two boarding passes for one person - thus, the seat next to you may very well be given to another fare paying passenger

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to suffer the journey as normal then ????

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Many years ago I had to fly from Kuwait to Cairo.

First class were the only seats available and the company was paying the bill.

The Middle Eastern lady in the seat next to me had to have an extension seat belt because she was so huge.

I’ve seen passengers in seats that could not open the tray table (in economy)... so they couldn’t eat the inflight meal....   I’ve been next to a passenger (luckily with a free middle seat between us) who’s stomach was so close to the seat in front (i.e. about 1” and nearly touching), that the person in front could not recline their seat without causing further discomfort to the passenger behind).....  

This sounds extreme... but no lie at all - this later example happened on Qatar Airways this year. 

I feel terrible for these people.. sometimes their size may not be their fault. 

BUT...  a seat is still a seat - why should anyone get a spare extra seat unless medically necessary through not fault of their own... I’m 183cm and 90kgs...  Can I get a free spare seat next to me too, cos I feel its a squeeze - actually, its the leg room I want !!!... 

I also wonder if there is any ’safety issue’...  can people this large exit from a plane quickly? perhaps a moot point after all, the infirm are permitted on seats - so that would be extremely harsh.

There is also the human side...  and I’d prefer to go with that. 

IF the flight is not fully booked... why not give larger people two seats to ease their comfort ???

But, I think it would also be reasonable for that to come with the caveat that IF the flight IS fully booked, they can’t take the flight as IF they are so large they need two seats, if there is no second seat they would make the flight so uncomfortable for their neighbour they should not be permitted to fly. 

Thus: For the ‘extra large’.... Sell them a ‘dual seat’ but only on flights which aren’t full... and if that flight is full or becomes full they get bumped to the next available flight. 

OR, they have to pay for that second seat, or fly business. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JayClay said:

My job required flying and a friend from work who was large did just that each time she flew to her job assignment.