Over 100 golf carts burned in Nakhon Nayok army academy parking lot

webfact

image.jpeg

More than 100 golf carts were damaged by fire in the parking facility in the compound of the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy in Mueang district of Nakhon Nayok province last night (Tuesday).

Police initially believe that the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit in the parking facility, which also provides the cart recharging service. An investigation is under way.

The golf carts belong to a company which operates a golf course next to the academy. The company rents space from the academy in which to keep and recharge the carts.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-100-golf-carts-burned-in-nakhon-nayok-army-academy-parking-lot/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What can possibly go wrong?

See above. 

I wonder when people will realize that lots of electrical vehicles with lots of lithium batteries are a lot bigger fire risk than vehicles with fuel.

And once they burn, they burn. It's basically impossible to extinguish lithium batteries on fire. 

Very rare event. Happened once in a blue moon.

Meanwhile the other 450 Thai golf courses had not problem.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How often do we see news that a combustion engine vehicle was on fire? Seldom.

How often do we see news that an electric vehicle was on fire? More and more.

And there are a lot more vehicles with combustion engine out there.

Fully electric vehicles, on the other hand, were deemed far safer than both hybirds and gas cars; they are far less likely to catch fire, with just 25.1 fires per 100,000 sales. That’s compared to 3,474 hybrid fires and 1,529 ICE fires per 100,000 sales respectively.

Source:

https://insideevs.com/news/561549/study-evs-smallest-fire-risk/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

See above. 

I wonder when people will realize that lots of electrical vehicles with lots of lithium batteries are a lot bigger fire risk than vehicles with fuel.

And once they burn, they burn. It's basically impossible to extinguish lithium batteries on fire. 

So  very true and one of the many reasons I will never buy or drive an electrical vehicle. I keep a fire extinguisher in my car just so I might help a EV driver if their vehicle catches fire.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Fully electric vehicles, on the other hand, were deemed far safer than both hybirds and gas cars; they are far less likely to catch fire, with just 25.1 fires per 100,000 sales. That’s compared to 3,474 hybrid fires and 1,529 ICE fires per 100,000 sales respectively.

Source:

https://insideevs.com/news/561549/study-evs-smallest-fire-risk/

How about all those scooters, etc.? 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

So  very true and one of the many reasons I will never buy or drive an electrical vehicle. I keep a fire extinguisher in my car just so I might help a EV driver if their vehicle catches fire.

That's nice of you.

But the fire extinguisher won't extinguish any lithium fire. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Not an accident. I think someone's sending a message loud and clear.

Thousands of poor, elderly Thais queueing up at the banks for their welfare cards and few hundred baht each. Their kids can only help so much as factories have shuttered left and right, the tourists are back but with stagnant wages, and debt keeps climbing. Meanwhile, the Army gets to play golf.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

See above. 

There's a reason the insurance on EVs is 2x the insurance on ICE.

I don't think I've ever come across a cart with a Lithium batter. They are normally standard car batteries.  Some years ago a fire at the Navy Course in Plutaluang wiped out loads of carts in there parking /recharging area. and they were definitely standard batteries.

27 minutes ago, roger101 said:

I don't think I've ever come across a cart with a Lithium batter. They are normally standard car batteries.  Some years ago a fire at the Navy Course in Plutaluang wiped out loads of carts in there parking /recharging area. and they were definitely standard batteries.

That's a good point.

But I wouldn't be surprised if some of the newer once have lithium batteries. They are smaller, lighter, and can be charged faster.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How often do we see news that a combustion engine vehicle was on fire? Seldom.

How often do we see news that an electric vehicle was on fire? More and more.

And there are a lot more vehicles with combustion engine out there.

And what does that tell you ?   A while back someone posted how many ev vs ice fires, not even close.  And yet ... as you state, rare to hear about ice fires.

I'd suggest why the EV fire news is rampant, but it would be deleted.

BTW ... most golf carts are NOT powered by lithium batteries.  I would think the catalyst/fuel of the fire, would be all the plastic (petroleum based) ... just a guess.  Plastic burns hot & long

Edited by KhunLA

Wouldn't take long for that fire to get out of control, if not noticed right away, assuming they were parked like this, as they are at the 'country club' they serve.

10432493_948831235135753_4503896238289122577_n.jpg

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I suppose you gave yourself an escape hatch by using the term "vehicles" in your OP.

There is a reason why I wrote vehicles. With (western build) cars I guess and hope that the engineers make sure there will be safety measures to make fires less likely.

But it seems there are lots of relative cheap vehicles, mostly with two wheels, out there without much thought about the fire risk. And many people buy them and keep them in their home and they are not even aware that there is a risk.

Obviously people could read the manuals and maybe there are warnings, but it seems most people don't read manuals. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is a reason why I wrote vehicles. With (western build) cars I guess and hope that the engineers make sure there will be safety measures to make fires less likely.

But it seems there are lots of relative cheap vehicles, mostly with two wheels, out there without much thought about the fire risk. And many people buy them and keep them in their home and they are not even aware that there is a risk.

Obviously people could read the manuals and maybe there are warnings, but it seems most people don't read manuals. 

Fires in EV cars are less likely, according to the link I posted.

I'd agree many people do not read manuals, when they could save themselves a lot of angst by so doing.