Thai Health Experts Alleviate Public Concerns About New Covid-19 Variant

webfact

25 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

The pandemic is nearing its end, based on World Health Organization data, said Wu Zunyou, chief epidemiologist at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, according to the China Daily." 

Pretty funny you, of all people, quoting the China Daily as your source... And relying on advice from the Chinese government on how COVID-related things should be!!!  :cheesy:

ATK of a close friend positive today. 

Yesterday sore throat,  I insisted on ATK before going out, negative. 

Today cough, he wanted to go out again, ATK positive. 

This friend has recently started to not wear a mask anymore. 

<deleted> happens. 

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

As long as there is widespread transmission, which there currently is,

Only in Thailand??? Referring to an earlier post, not in Cambodia evidently- zero new cases! The wearing of masks and tests at large gatherings (including schools and hospitals) now lifted (no longer mandatory).

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

11 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Only in Thailand??? Referring to an earlier post, not in Cambodia evidently- zero new cases!

Or they're just not looking for / testing for them... Cambodia was never particularly strong on actually testing for cases in its domestic population, although they did for a time with incoming international travelers.  The public health system there is miles behind someplace like Thailand in terms of funding and capability.  And the PM there was an early COVID denier. But all of that is off-topic for this thread about Thailand.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-the-notorious-nine-these-world-leaders-responded-to-the-coronavirus/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Pretty funny you, of all people, quoting the China Daily as your source... And relying on advice from the Chinese government on how COVID-related things should be!!!  :cheesy:

Source was Reuters -  quoting local media.

Regardless, PHSMs are being ended, even in places where they were the strictest,  and aren't coming back.

17 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Ok. So globally it has a death rate of around 0.00028%. How many of them with comorbidities? If you think Omicron is dangerous that fine. You keep wearing your mask and washing your hands. For me I view it as no more dangerous than the common cold of which both share similar symptoms.

The world is full of nut jobs who pooh, pooh Covid, that is fact, but the sensible will smile and put them to one side and use their head.

Here is something for you to read from today's reports.....

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/first-person-dies-covid-variant-152540692.html

4 minutes ago, transam said:

The world is full of nut jobs who pooh, pooh Covid, that is fact, but the sensible will smile and put them to one side and use their head.

Here is something for you to read from today's reports.....

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/first-person-dies-covid-variant-152540692.html

"He told Thailand’s PBS news station that the man who died was “an elderly foreigner” with underlying health conditions.

“His death, therefore, may not directly reflect the severity of this subvariant but rather its impact on other risk factors,” he added."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/first-person-dies-covid-variant-152540692.html

I'm guessing you didn't read these rather important factors. It is a known fact that comorbidities can influence the severity of the infection as can age both factors pointed out in the article in relation to this person's death. So I guess a "sensible" person would take this into account.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

"He told Thailand’s PBS news station that the man who died was “an elderly foreigner” with underlying health conditions.

“His death, therefore, may not directly reflect the severity of this subvariant but rather its impact on other risk factors,” he added."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/first-person-dies-covid-variant-152540692.html

I'm guessing you didn't read these rather important factors. It is a known fact that comorbidities can influence the severity of the infection as can age both factors pointed out in the article in relation to this person's death. So I guess a "sensible" person would take this into account.

You keep finding your agenda excuses, keep going, mon amie........????

5 minutes ago, transam said:

You keep finding your agenda excuses, keep going, mon amie........????

If you call reality an agenda then that's up to you. It's a variant under monitoring not a variant of concdern.

Edited by dinsdale

1 minute ago, transam said:

Fruitcakes are a reality, dead folk via Covid is also a reality, but also a fact, mon amie............????

Sure. Seems like so far there's been 1 death from this sub-variant of Omicron out of a global population of >8,000,000,000. Probably will be more but for my mind I'm not going to run off and get jabbed again or wear a mask. If you think you should then that's your perogative.

• Like 1

People are right to point out the ongoing dangers of Covid19 to those who are already very frail, but to extrapolate this hazard as applying to the general public would be scaremongering, especially as most people have had already covid19 at least once.  There is a need for perspective.  If some members persist in peddling fear then quite frankly they shouldn't be surprised if they are met with stiff opposition- sometimes we can be in the wrong without realizing it while the rest of the world regards our behavior as rather tiresome.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

People are right to point out the ongoing dangers of Covid19 to those who are already very frail, but to extrapolate this hazard as applying to the general public would be scaremongering, especially as most people have already covid19 at least once.  There is a need for perspective.

The problem with your comment is, while the odds of having bad health outcomes with Omicron COVID certainly DO weigh toward those who are older and/or have other chronic health problems, that doesn't meant other healthy people are entirely immune.

For example:

"infections remain a threat to vulnerable populations — and occasionally to otherwise healthy people.

“There are still people who are getting wicked sick,” said Libby Hohmann, an infectious-disease physician at Massachusetts General Hospital. She cited two covid patients she’d recently seen in the intensive care unit — “both vaccinated and near death,” with one immunocompromised patient in their 60s dealing with infection from another pathogen, too, and a second patient in their 30s who was previously healthy but suddenly fighting heart failure."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2023/04/16/covid-deaths-per-day/

I'd prefer to NOT spin the COVID roulette wheel with my health.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The problem with your comment is, while the odds of having bad health outcomes with Omicron COVID certainly DO weigh toward those who are older and/or have other chronic health problems, that doesn't meant other healthy people are entirely immune.

For example:

"infections remain a threat to vulnerable populations — and occasionally to otherwise healthy people.

“There are still people who are getting wicked sick,” said Libby Hohmann, an infectious-disease physician at Massachusetts General Hospital. She cited two covid patients she’d recently seen in the intensive care unit — “both vaccinated and near death,” with one immunocompromised patient in their 60s dealing with infection from another pathogen, too, and a second patient in their 30s who was previously healthy but suddenly fighting heart failure."

Do you apply this attitude to all diseases, ailments, infections? 

For instance, all this applies to flu, broncho viruses, etc, as well as umpteen other things. 

Life must be hell for you. Unfortunately, we have to take small risks in our stride.  Certain modifications may be in order, for instance wearing a mask if you prefer.

Perhaps you never got covid19 in which case I guess I can understand your attitude, but you can't extrapolate that to most of the population.  We don't do this with any other disease, do we?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Perhaps you never got covid19 in which case I guess I can understand your attitude, but you can't extrapolate that to most of the population.  We don't do this with any other disease, do we?

Perhaps I've never gotten COVID (AFAIK) because I've always taken sensible precautions and followed the prevailing public health guidance on things like:

--wearing an N95 mask when close around any others

--trying to follow social distancing when out and around other people

--getting fully vaccinated and boosted, including with the latest bivalent vaccine

--using hand gels and soaps at home to regularly clean hands after being outside

etc etc etc.

I also haven't had the flu or a cold since the duration of the pandemic.  So I fail to see what's so difficult for some people to take sensible precautions to protect their own health and the health of those around them.

And, if I HAD had COVID before, I'd probably double down on all of the above, because even if I got it once, I'd certainly prefer not to get it multiple times and thus multiply my risks.

AND, FWIW, COVID hasn't been just, to use your words, "any other disease," considering that in places like the U.S. it's been within the top 3 causes of death of any kind at many points since the start of the pandemic.... far more fatalities than the flu, colds, and most other maladies.

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For example:

Rather odd how you use this quote and not this one from the same article.

"Front-line physicians said that severe cases of covid have plummeted from the virus’s peak in 2021, when the CDC said more than 3,000 people daily died of covid, but that infections remain a threat to vulnerable populations — and occasionally to otherwise healthy people."

The evidence is there about Omicron but you just refuse to see that overall it's not severe for the majority of people.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

• Thumbs Up 1

The general COVID situation in many places is a lot better now than what it was in past years, both in case counts and in terms of severity of illness. There's no denying that, and I never have.

But that's a far cry difference from people coming on here and claiming COVID is gone and no longer is a health risk to people at large, which is simply false and ignorant.

It may not be a high risk to otherwise healthy, younger people. But it's still a potential risk, if you end up being one of the unlucky ones.

And frankly, whether in the U.S. or here in Thailand, the majority of the overall population certainly has various of the chronic medical conditions that put them at higher risk from COVID -- things like being overweight (U.S.), diabetes/high blood sugar (Thailand), liver disease (Thailand), etc etc.

WHO elevates XBB.1.16 to variant of interest as levels rise in US and other countries

The World Health Organization (WHO) this week boosted the XBB.1.16 Omicron subvariant to a variant of interest (VOI) from a variant under monitoring (VUM), based on the latest assessments from its technical advisory group on virus evolution.

The subvariant is fueling India's biggest surge in about 7 months, and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported another jump in the proportion of XBB.1.16 viruses.

Its growth advantage and immune escape properties suggest that XBB.1.16 may spread globally and trigger increases and cases, but so far, there is no evidence that it causes more severe disease. The WHO said an initial risk assessment is under way and will be published in the coming days."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/who-elevates-xbb116-variant-interest-levels-rise-us-and-other-countries

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

you just refuse to see that overall it's not severe for the majority of people.

It doesn't take a very large "minority" to end up with a lot of COVID sick people and hospitalizations.  It's not the "majority" I'm most concerned about.

Gone away, no longer an issue???

"A COVID-19 outbreak in staff and patients at Kaiser Permanente Santa Rose Medical Center in California has prompted new masking rules, hospital officials announced this week, according to the local newspaper. The policy applies to visitors, doctors, and staff."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/who-elevates-xbb116-variant-interest-levels-rise-us-and-other-countries

"More than a dozen hospital workers at Kaiser Permanente Santa Rosa Medical Center, along with “some patients,” have tested positive for COVID-19, prompting new masking rules at the facility, hospital officials said."

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/covid-19-outbreak-reported-at-kaiser-santa-rosa-hospital-local-health-offi/

47 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It doesn't take a very large "minority" to end up with a lot of COVID sick people and hospitalizations.  It's not the "majority" I'm most concerned about.

Gone away, no longer an issue???

"A COVID-19 outbreak in staff and patients at Kaiser Permanente Santa Rose Medical Center in California has prompted new masking rules, hospital officials announced this week, according to the local newspaper. The policy applies to visitors, doctors, and staff."

"More than a dozen hospital workers at Kaiser Permanente Santa Rosa Medical Center, along with “some patients,” have tested positive for COVID-19, prompting new masking rules at the facility, hospital officials said."

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/news/covid-19-outbreak-reported-at-kaiser-santa-rosa-hospital-local-health-offi/

How many dead from XBB.1.16? How many in ICU from XBB.1.16? How many being intubated from XBB.1.16? Is XBB.1.16 a variant of concern? It's Omicron. It's contagious. People will get it BUT will it kill them? Will it make them critically ill? Will they be in ICU? Will they need to be intubated? A small minority with comorbities and age maybe but so far no one has died from XBB.1.16.

• Sad 1

XBB.1.16 is still a small but growing share of the different COVID variants circulating in Thailand. But Omicron overall is definitely making people sick and putting them in hospitals, as has previously been much reported here... reports you seem to choose to ignore.

"Department director-general Tharet Krutnairawiwong said 435 patients were admitted to hospital for treatment of Covid-19 between April 9 and 15, about 62 cases per day. Of the number, 30 had lung inflammation and 19 were put on ventilators, up 58% and 36% respectively, from the previous week."

The same weekly report cited 2 additional COVID deaths for Thailand, but didn't specify what variant was involved... not that it matters greatly.... Dead from COVID is still dead from COVID.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40026704

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

How many dead from XBB.1.16? How many in ICU from XBB.1.16? How many being intubated from XBB.1.16? Is XBB.1.16 a variant of concern? It's Omicron. It's contagious. People will get it BUT will it kill them? Will it make them critically ill? Will they be in ICU? Will they need to be intubated? A small minority with comorbities and age maybe but so far no one has died from XBB.1.16.

I think you have a personal agenda...Stands out a mile....????

I think you have a personal agenda...Stands out a mile....????

As I have said to you before reality is not an agenda. Reality is, as of now, there have been ZERO deaths directrly attributed to XBB.1.16. No agenda mate just rationalty. Zero deaths out of a global population of >8,000,000,000 people so far.

p.s. You don't think the Earth is flat do you?

Just now, dinsdale said:

As I have said to you before reality is not an agenda. Reality is, as of now, there have been ZERO deaths directrly attributed to XBB.1.16. No agenda mate just rationalty. Zero deaths out of a global population of >8,000,000,000 people so far.

p.s. You don't think the Earth is flat do you?

It's your reality, a reality that has a one way street, and ignores those lost via C19 helping them on their way out........

You should be ashamed of yourself, a nobody trying to be a medical spokesperson.......:ermm:

23 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

How many dead from XBB.1.16?

India has been at the forefront of the XBB.1.16 outbreak....

Covid Live News Updates: India records 12,193 new cases and 42 deaths

"Covid Live News Updates: India has recorded 12,193 fresh Covid-19 cases in a span of 24 hours, with the number of active cases of the infection going up to 67,556, the Union health ministry said on Saturday. The death toll due to the viral disease has climbed to 5,31,300 with 42 more fatalities, including 10 reconciled by Kerala."

Context:

India asks states to ramp up testing as COVID-19 cases climb

MUMBAI, April 7 (Reuters) - India's federal government asked states to identify emergency hotspots and ramp up-testing for COVID-19, after the country recorded its highest daily case count since September, a Reuters tally showed on Friday.

There were 6,050 new cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, the federal health ministry said on Friday, continuing a sharp upward trend since a lull last year."

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/india-asks-states-ramp-up-testing-covid-19-cases-climb-2023-04-07/

India: Covid variant XBB1.16 leads to spike in cases.

Updated: Apr 07, 2023

"India is recording a steep increase in COVID-19 cases every day with 6,050 fresh cases reported on Friday, marking a 13 per cent increase from 5,335 cases that were recorded on Thursday.

The abrupt increase in India's Covid graph is due to the spread of Omicron variant XBB.1.16, according to the experts. Covid subvariant XBB.1.16 is being closely monitored by the World Health Organisation (WHO)."

Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS) Director Dr SK Sarin, while speaking to NDTV, said that traces of the XBB.1.16 variant have been found in at least 98 per cent of the samples taken from COVID-19 patients in New Delhi.

https://www.wionews.com/india-news/india-covid-variant-xbb116-leads-to-spike-in-cases-know-its-symptoms-and-precautions-580026

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

It's your reality, a reality that has a one way street, and ignores those lost via C19 helping them on their way out........

You should be ashamed of yourself, a nobody trying to be a medical spokesperson.......:ermm:

Zero deaths. Fact. Not severe. Fact. Those at risk should be careful. Fact. Why should I be ashamed of facts?

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

India has been at the forefront of the XBB.1.16 outbreak....

Covid Live News Updates: India records 12,193 new cases and 42 deaths

"Covid Live News Updates: India has recorded 12,193 fresh Covid-19 cases in a span of 24 hours, with the number of active cases of the infection going up to 67,556, the Union health ministry said on Saturday. The death toll due to the viral disease has climbed to 5,31,300 with 42 more fatalities, including 10 reconciled by Kerala."

India asks states to ramp up testing as COVID-19 cases climb

MUMBAI, April 7 (Reuters) - India's federal government asked states to identify emergency hotspots and ramp up-testing for COVID-19, after the country recorded its highest daily case count since September, a Reuters tally showed on Friday.

There were 6,050 new cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, the federal health ministry said on Friday, continuing a sharp upward trend since a lull last year."

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/india-asks-states-ramp-up-testing-covid-19-cases-climb-2023-04-07/

Screenshot (1105).png

Screenshot (1106).png

The REALITY in a country of 1,400,000,000 people.

Edited by dinsdale

Just now, dinsdale said:

Zero deaths. Fact. Not severe. Fact. Those at risk should be careful. Fact. Why should I be ashamed of facts?

Zero deaths, seems you do not keep up with the facts, but then again,  a nonmedical person with an agenda probably hasn't a clue about keeping up.....:ermm: