Cataract Operation experiences

MJCM

I will undergo a cataract operation next month, first my right eye and then after a while my left eye.

The recommendation from Dr Roy (who will also do the OP) was

"Phacoemulsification with Intraocular Lens Implant"

Now I would like to hear from people who had it done what their experiences was.

:wai:

Edited by MJCM

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

How much? and what lens?

Right Eye, 120-140K. Left 160-180K (that is because I had surgery on that eye before and the doc said it would make it much more difficult) and also I am taking Xatral for Prostate, that could complicate things even more. I know it’s not cheap, but my Insurance will pay for it in the end, the only costs I have to pay my self is paying for the hotel near the Hospital for a couple of nights (family lives way to far from Hospital). 

Lens not 100% sure yet, but the Doc said I would still have to wear reading glasses but I recall it being mono-focal, but again not 100% sure. 

I will know more after I went for the pre-op which is a couple of days before the surgery. 

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

In case you wonder why Bumrungrad and NOT Rutnin, because Dr Roy also works there and it would be cheaper (I guess) to do the procedure there (@Rutnin), the answer is simple.

I had a follw-up appointment with a Urologist in Bumrungrad and went to see the Dr Roy on the same day. So 2 Docs in 1 Hospital on the same day, and not visit 2 Docs in 2 Different Hospitals. First visit was to Dr Roy and 2nd Visit with the Urologist.

I arrived at 9:00am and left at around 12;30pm, so not bad having seen 2 docs and 2 comprehensive tests done.

Edited by MJCM
Added @Rutnin

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

In case you wonder why Bumrungrad and NOT Rutnin, because Dr Roy also works there and it would be cheaper (I guess) to do the procedure there, the answer is simple.

I had a follw-up appointment with a Urologist in Bumrungrad and went to see the Dr Roy on the same day. So 2 Docs in 1 Hospital on the same day, and not visit 2 Docs in 2 Different Hospitals. First visit was to Dr Roy and 2nd Visit with the Urologist.

I arrived at 9:00am and left at around 12;30pm, so not bad having seen 2 docs and 2 comprehensive tests done.

You may be correct about the pricing differences but I will be surprised if Bumrungrad is cheaper than Rutnin. I have used both places and see Dr Roy at Rutnin, I strongly suspect BG overhead costs are much higher than Rutnin.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

You may be correct about the pricing differences but I will be surprised if Bumrungrad is cheaper than Rutnin. I have used both places and see Dr Roy at Rutnin, I strongly suspect BG overhead costs are much higher than Rutnin.

I think you misunderstood, but maybe my wording was not correct or confusing (I just now added @Rutnin to the original text), I most certainly do think that Rutnin will be a Lot (???) cheaper, but I can't say that for sure as I have never been, but I have heard (read) stories that to see Dr Roy at Rutnin would take approx 4-5 hours alone, so that was also one of the reasons why I went to see him at Bumrungrad.

And as the Insurance pays in the end I don't care really ????

Edited by MJCM
Clarification

24 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I think you misunderstood, but maybe my wording was not correct or confusing (I just now added @Rutnin to the original text), I most certainly do think that Rutnin will be a Lot (???) cheaper, but I can't say that for sure as I have never been, but I have heard (read) stories that to see Dr Roy at Rutnin would take approx 4-5 hours alone, so that was also one of the reasons why I went to see him at Bumrungrad.

And as the Insurance pays in the end I don't care really ????

OK, understood.

For future reference, seeing Dr Roy at Rutnin is now a very slick and quick process, as long as you have an appointment in advance. It used to be very difficult and time consuming, now it is not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: measuring of my eye has been done, very comprehensive again.

Final result, I am getting Monofocal lens with final strength of 2,50. Right eye first for a cost of 120-140k. 

operation date to be announced. 

edit: Dr Roy will do the operation in Bumrungrad

Edited by MJCM

Update. 

Operation on my right eye done yesterday. 

Arrived at the hospital at 8:15am and after prepaying for the procedure I was immediately brought to a room where they started to administer eye drops and hook you up to a blood pressure machine and oxygen meter. they administer eye drops every 15 mins approx 

When you are brought to the room, you have to say goodbye to your family and give them your phone etc etc. 

You then have to put on a hospital gown.

At around 10:30am Dr Roy came to talk to me and guide you through the procedure. 

At around 11am you are brought to the operation room. 

You will lay flat down on a bed and the Doc injects  Anesthesia which is a bit uncomfortable but that feeling will not last long. 

Then your eye will be covered with large blue cloth with a hole in it for your eye. 

The procedure to remove the cataract is with a machine that sounds like a musical instrument that is out of tune ???? after that the Doc puts the new lens in and you get an eye patch.  

After the procedure is done you are brought to a recovery room where you stay for around 30 min. 

Then you are brought to the dressing room to put your clothes back on and then you will see your family again

So I was brought in the operation room at 11am and left it around 12pm and was back with the family at around 12:40. 

You will then get a visit by a pharmacist who will give you instructions on how long you have to administer eye drops. (2 of them I have to use 3 times a day for 30 days and another one 4 times a day for a max of 14 days)

The eye patch you get after the operation you have to wear till the following day, and then you will meet Dr Roy again 

Total costs (right eye only) 116k, which was under the estimate of 120-140k

Overall oke

Any questions just ask. 

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per member's request.

MJCM,

your procedure sounds exactly like what I experienced last year.  The only discomfort was during the injection which you also mentioned.  My procedure was around 99k per eye at Rutnin Eye Hospital.  It was the best thing I ever did. 

1 minute ago, statman78 said:

MJCM,

your procedure sounds exactly like what I experienced last year.  The only discomfort was during the injection which you also mentioned.  My procedure was around 99k per eye at Rutnin Eye Hospital.  It was the best thing I ever did. 

Yep that was absolutely the worst from the procedure the only other problem I had that it was …….. cold in that operation room ????

Ps: This was Bumrungrad

I am now waiting for the follow up and would very much like to know when my Left Eye will be done. 

Happy you got 1 eye  sorted !

Wait a couple of months for the next one!

I chose  this for my situation ,70k for one eye and 60 k one year later for the other.

The halos and spikes are practically nonexistent,

what a difference .

Sakon Nakhon 

IMG_1474.thumb.jpeg.e48a6e62485d2cfbe68bcfa836ee97cb.jpeg

Edited by riclag

Thx. The lens I got was determined on the pre-op on Monday. I leave that decision in the very capable hands of Dr Roy. 

what I understand it’s mono-focal and the machine just now gave a reading of 2.25 which is a big improvement. I just tested and I can read my phone a good distance away already. 

I am waiting to see the Doc and really would like to know when the left eye will be done. My glasses will bother me because of them being +8 left and +6 right. 

Edited by MJCM

Went to see Doc. Everything a-oke. Lens is in good position only have red in my eye but that is too expected. 

next week follow up and then the date for the operation on my left eye will be set

????????

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I am waiting to see the Doc and really would like to know when the left eye will be done. My glasses will bother me because of them being +8 left and +6 right. 

When I had a similar problem (in my case due to Lasik done one eye at a time) I simply removed the lens on one side. Any glasses shop can replace it with plain glass.

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Thx. The lens I got was determined on the pre-op on Monday. I leave that decision in the very capable hands of Dr Roy. 

what I understand it’s mono-focal and the machine just now gave a reading of 2.25 which is a big improvement. I just tested and I can read my phone a good distance away already. 

Take the lens out of the frames for right eye.

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

When I had a similar problem (in my case due to Lasik done one eye at a time) I simply removed the lens on one side. Any glasses shop can replace it with plain glass.

I asked the Doc about this and he said that could cause dizziness, but I prepared for this and I took my spare glasses with me and will have SWMBO goto an optician and have them remove the right lens and will see how that works out. 

edit: he also said that it is no problem that when I wear glasses that my left eye is doing the work, that will equalize itself when my left eye will be done, but will try the trick with my spare glasses. 

Edited by MJCM

May I ask to anyone who had this procedure done how long it took before you had real good vision. 

Now it’s already okeish but for example I just went outside and I could not distinguish / read license plates of cars which were approximately 10 meters away.

I was told that it will take approximately 1-2 weeks, but I am just wondering what other people experiences are. 

I have read stories from people that had the procedure done and 2 days later they were driving to work, I would not dare at the moment to drive a car. 

TiA

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

May I ask to anyone who had this procedure done how long it took before you had real good vision. 

Now it’s already okeish but for example I just went outside and I could not distinguish / read license plates of cars which were approximately 10 meters away.

I was told that it will take approximately 1-2 weeks, but I am just wondering what other people experiences are. 

I have read stories from people that had the procedure done and 2 days later they were driving to work, I would not dare at the moment to drive a car. 

TiA

I had a follow up exam the following day after surgery and was told that my vision was at 90%.  After the first day I did get some more improvement but my vision was almost perfect on the day after.

• Thanks 1

thx!

I am at the day after (to be exact 31 hrs) and it’s far from perfect, but it’s absolutely better then it was, it gradually improves. 

Maybe it is also depends on that I had real bad eye sight with left being much worse then right.

I would not mind to wear glasses again as I have worn them for over 50 years :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, MJCM said:

thx!

I am at the day after (to be exact 31 hrs) and it’s far from perfect, but it’s absolutely better then it was, it gradually improves. 

Maybe it is also depends on that I had real bad eye sight with left being much worse then right.

I would not mind to wear glasses again as I have worn them for over 50 years :thumbsup:

My left eye sight was perfect before the cataract took over.  I did not need glasses.  After surgery it is back to where it was.  Before surgery my right eye was useless.  I could only tell light from dark and could see movement.  This was due to a combination of the cataract and nerve damage due to glaucoma.  I still had the cataract removed and my sight in the right eye is at about 50% due to the nerve damage.

• Thanks 1

It’s getting better but I have a feeling that I still have to wear glasses but I could be wrong it’s still early days.

another question, will you have to undergo cataract surgery again in the future or is it a one-off?

my cataract wasn’t that bad I still could see quite well but it started to get more and more blurry, I changed my eye glasses and 2-3 weeks later they were already not good enough anymore.

ps: I was wrong, my glasses are not + but they are -

this is the lens I got

271685706_2023-05-1910-32-40.jpeg.d2a2927e00845ea3ab8c350c4d152c6b.jpeg

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

It’s getting better but I have a feeling that I still have to wear glasses but I could be wrong it’s still early days.

another question, will you have to undergo cataract surgery again in the future or is it a one-off?

my cataract wasn’t that bad I still could see quite well but it started to get more and more blurry, I changed my eye glasses and 2-3 weeks later they were already not good enough anymore.

ps: I was wrong, my glasses are not + but they are -

this is the lens I got

271685706_2023-05-1910-32-40.jpeg.d2a2927e00845ea3ab8c350c4d152c6b.jpeg

I was told by my doctor that I will not need surgery again. Cataracts grow on the natural lens.  During cataract surgery the original lens is removed and an artificial one is put in its place.  The cataract does not grow on the artificial lens.  If your vision is not perfect you can use glasses or I was told it is possible to do some reshaping of the new artificial lens to improve vision.

• Thanks 1

Thx again very helpful 

55 minutes ago, statman78 said:

If your vision is not perfect you can use glasses or I was told it is possible to do some reshaping of the new artificial lens to improve vision.

It’s still very early after the surgery and it’s gradually improving, next week Thursday I will have another appointment with the Doc and for sure I will get an eye test done to see how good it is.

I will update this thread as I go along and personally would like for the surgery on my left eye to happen sooner then later ????

Re: Insurance 

I scanned all the papers, bills etc etc  (from both the operation and the follow up) and send them off to my insurance. Now let’s wait and see how long it will take to reimburse me. 

Edited by MJCM

On 5/18/2023 at 12:48 PM, MJCM said:

I asked the Doc about this and he said that could cause dizziness, but I prepared for this and I took my spare glasses with me and will have SWMBO goto an optician and have them remove the right lens and will see how that works out. 

My wife visited several opticians today and according to them it will take up to 7 days and approx 1000-1500 THB to have a no strength lens placed in to my spare glasses. (Right side only). 

13 hours ago, MJCM said:

My wife visited several opticians today and according to them it will take up to 7 days and approx 1000-1500 THB to have a no strength lens placed in to my spare glasses. (Right side only). 

I got it done on thd dpot with no wait. 

Might have yo fo with the frame?

Try elsewhere and with othrr pair.

Worst case just remove the lens altogether.