Cataract Operation experiences

MJCM

On 5/19/2023 at 1:05 PM, MJCM said:

another question, will you have to undergo cataract surgery again in the future or is it a one-off?

Years after my operation, the lens capsule had some regrowth of cells on the back of the IOL, resulting in posterior capsular opacification which was easily removed by YAG laser treatment.

This seems to happen in 10% of cases.

Ten years later, I was unfortunate enough to have a rare retinal detachment.

Last year, fifteen years later I had an even rarer redux IOL when the posterior capsule broke and the old IOL lodged against my retina.

A new IOL was stitched to my eye anterior.

Seems continued eye trauma from operations on the same eye was not helpful especially when you have a cataract operation at a young age.

YAG laser treatment and why you might need it after cataract or lens surgery (oclvision.com)

• Thanks 1

Just returned from Perth/Australia where I specifically gone to get cataract done at Lions Eye Institute (Free on my private insurance). First right eye then 2 weeks later the left eye. I wanted multifocal but that was not an option based on sophisticated eye tests. Lense installed called e-Vista. 

Right eye Lense designed to make me see long distance and left for short distance. Both eyes then collaborate to make vision much better.  Eyes would stabilize only after 5 weeks.  PCO developed after 8 weeks in left eye and was treated with 5 minutes laser procedure. 

Right eye developed what is called (Floaters) which isa visual sensation of something moving in the field of vision due to degeneration of the vitreous gel in the back of the eye and unfortunately, I was told nothing can be done and have to live with it as the brain will overtime learn to ignore it.

I drive and do most activities as normal with good vision but still use reading glasses for fine prints or when using computer.

Cataract surgery improved my vision by 80% and changed my life and absolutely no regrets.   

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Danny Australia said:

Right eye Lense designed to make me see long distance and left for short distance. Both eyes then collaborate to make vision much better. 

I think that is what will be the outcome for me as well, but I will ask Dr Roy this when I see him next time, but for me it’s the other way around.

I am really seeing an increase in glares, halos not so, but glares are becoming more and more evident.

13 hours ago, MJCM said:

am really seeing an increase in glares, halos not so, but glares are becoming more and more evident.

Wifey called the hospital (did not speak to the Doctor) and they said that the increase of glares could maybe have something to do with dry eyes. They recommended using artificial tears more often.

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Glare and haloes after cataract surgery are common  due to the brain adjusting to the artificial lens. Usually  resolves over time  

Thx Sheryl.

i will still use the artificial tears more often as they also give me some relief from the (sometimes) stinging eye drops. 

We are waiting at least 5-10 minutes between the drops. 

On 5/3/2023 at 12:46 PM, MJCM said:

I know it’s not cheap, but my Insurance will pay for it

Lucky you.

That's the highest price ever seen.

A mate had one done at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya incl. a sophisticated lens and laser application for 150k. Standard procedure (standard lens + glasses) at a private hospital in Khon Kaen about 50k.

13 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Lucky you.

That's the highest price ever seen.

A mate had one done at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya incl. a sophisticated lens and laser application for 150k. Standard procedure (standard lens + glasses) at a private hospital in Khon Kaen about 50k.

yeah but the insurance is not cheap 4000 Euros a year and it’s a European insurance. Also 2nd opinion is covered and I needed that in this case because Dr Roy was the 4th Doc I visited for this.  (Very long story )

My right eye was 116K which was cheaper then their estimate of 120-140k. 

I wonder if for 50k you will get the extensive eye tests done which will determine which lens you are getting.

After the eye tests (in pre-op) they found out that my left eye was not 100% “straight” so they have to accommodate for that with the lens.

The pre-op was done by 6 (yeah six) different machines and took approx 1-1,5 hrs to complete..

Edited by MJCM

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

yeah but the insurance is not cheap 4000 Euros a year and it’s a European insurance. Also 2nd opinion is covered and I needed that in this case because Dr Roy was the 4th Doc I visited for this.  (Very long story )

My right eye was 116K which was cheaper then their estimate of 120-140k. 

I wonder if for 50k you will get the extensive eye tests done which will determine which lens you are getting.

After the eye tests (in pre-op) they found out that my left eye was not 100% “straight” so they have to accommodate for that with the lens.

The pre-op was done by 6 (yeah six) different machines and took approx 1-1,5 hrs to complete..

Give it time at least a couple of weeks! Are you wearing a protective eye cover while sleeping , no rubbing and keeping water away from it?

I too have dry  eye (itchy)and was told I’ll probably have to use Artificial tear drops for life , as needed.

16 minutes ago, riclag said:

Give it time at least a couple of weeks! Are you wearing a protective eye cover while sleeping , no rubbing and keeping water away from it?

I too have dry  eye (itchy)and was told I’ll probably have to use Artificial tear drops for life , as needed.

Yep doing all that, I got a 2 page instruction set with me on discharge and on the day of the follow-up my wife got instructions from the nurse how to clean my eye with cotton balls which comes out of a sterile bag and use it together with saline solution 

I got the instructions today to use artificial tear drops at least 4 times a day, but I use it also before administering the eye drops because they take the stinging away. 

133029662_2023-05-2211-47-35.jpeg.085c3258cae8acfe447cb17e9e35fb90.jpeg

• Like 1

This is a very interesting topic on the cataract operation procedure.

I was first diagnosed with cataract about 10 years ago. My day vision with glasses (that I have worn since a kid) is just fine but night vision and reaction to bright lights not so good.

One reason that I have not had the surgery is this (from 2008)

Recognising ‘high-risk’ eyes before cataract surgery

Certain eyes are at a higher risk of complication during cataract surgery. Operations on such ‘high-risk’ eyes are also more likely to yield a poor visual outcome (defined as best corrected vision less than 6/60 after surgery).

Entropion, ectropion, and lagophthalmos: these eyes may have corneal exposure before and after surgery. ... In addition, lack of a proper lid closure mechanism will not allow the eye drops instilled to stay in the conjunctival sac. These three conditions need to  corrected by surgery before you can contemplate a cataract extraction.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2377383/

I am nocturnal lagopthalmos: I have a hard blink (cannot do contact lenses) and I sleep with my eyes half open which I have to let someone know beforehand lest they think I was dead.

So, at least for some, these are also considerations.

Update:

just received an email from my insurance and they have paid out for both my operation on my right eye and the follow up with the Doctor the next day.

????

edit: tmrw the follow up after 1 week and the discussion when my left eye will be done. I hope it will be soon as I am really getting bored with Bangkok and wanna go home ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Update 

went to see Dr Roy. 

everything looks good, but because I am seeing glares the Doc wants to do the operation on my left eye in 2 weeks to see if it improves. 

And I after the operation has finished I will still have to wear glasses for distance vision. No problem with that

edit: the doc is thinking of changing the lens used for my left eye to another brand. 

Edited by MJCM

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Left Eye done 3 weeks after my right eye. Procedure same as in a previous post but took longer, went into the operation room before 11am and was in the recovery room at 12:15pm

Total price 141K THB so more expensive then the right eye procedure but could be because of the longer operation but also because the Doctor inserted a different lens.

tomorrow follow up then I can report back, but I already know that I have to keep wearing glasses for distance,  but reading can do without glasses.

Update.

just received an email from my insurance and they will fully refund me for both my operation on my left eye (141K THB) and the follow up with the Doctor the next day. 

Filed the claim on the 9th so they are fast. 

????

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Today last visit to Dr Roy. He finally let me go ????????

So now off to Pattaya to see some friends and then Tuesday or Wednesday we are going by taxi back Home

Total for me it took approx 7 weeks to get the all clear. Still have to use eye drops several times a day but not an issue. 

An absolute shout out to Dr Roy. A real great doc and also very concerned and explains everything in great detail. 

ps: the reason why for me it took 7 weeks  is was because of trouble with my left eye which the Doc clearly stated on the visits before the operation. 

Next visit week beginning of August 

Personally have have extreme myopia.  11 diopters.  Extremely elongated eyes.  Very thin retinas. 

Nobody ever discusses this, but with my eyes, the chances of having a retinal detachment post-surgery are astronomical.
I may never have it done.  It's like - Choose the way you wish to go blind. 

I'm sure I could throw a few hundred thousand THB at the problem, but then the doctors shrug and give you a Mai Bpen Rai.

I had cataracts and went to Bangkok Phuket Hospital.

They have a department called Bright View.

They proposed tri-focal lenses.

Very simple procedure  - 1 hour.  Left eye day one. Right eye day two.

Check up on day 4 then back to Samui.

Back to Phuket again for another check up on day 12.

Final check up after one month.

All good.

Halos are sometimes a problem, but not in my case.

109,000 baht per eye.

I have no idea how l long I will live but I could possibly save that on glasses. I had two prescriptions before the op (reading and mid range).

Now - no need for glasses.

Brilliant.

https://www.brightviewcenter.com/

Edited by Tropicalevo

@Tropicalevo

No glasses was never an option for me the doc made that clear in the first days meeting him. 

Also the option of having your eyes done one day after the other was also never an option for me (and the doc agreed). 

My reasoning is that you get an infection (god forbid) and it affects both eyes you are possibly fc.ued. No way that I would that happen. 

Glad it worked out for you, but just be careful when you get it done. No problem that mine took a total of 7 weeks, the only major issue I had during these 7 weeks was that I already did not like BKK but now I don’t like it with a vengeance ????

Mu next appointment in August will be driving into BKK on the day before the appointment, stay in a hotel next to the Hospital and after the appointment drive straight back home (this unless SWMBO decides otherwise ????)