Retirement Extension. Money in bank

I am due to extend my retirement visa next week. However my dear wife just used my atm card instead of hers and withdrew 20k so my account has dipped below the required 800k. I have put the money back in so it was only for 20 minutes.

Will that screw up my application or will I be fined or something.

I am in Chayaphum and generally the immigration office here is brilliant and helpful but I wonder if there are any regulation covering such a short time where insufficient funds were in my account?

Any helpful ansewrs welcome

17 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

Don't say anything about it to immigration unless they ask. But if they are as good as you say, it shouldn't be a problem.  

That's what I am hoping. Just depends how the officer I get to see is feeling on the day, I think. Worst case is will heve to go back to a marriage extension I suppose.

As for the suggestion of opening another acc. without an atm that seems daft. I only need the money in there for 2 months so why tie it up permanently?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, somo said:

That's what I am hoping. Just depends how the officer I get to see is feeling on the day, I think. Worst case is will heve to go back to a marriage extension I suppose.

As for the suggestion of opening another acc. without an atm that seems daft. I only need the money in there for 2 months so why tie it up permanently?

That is bad advice.  They are usually scrupulous in the matter, so don't take the risk. No good explaining to them.  I have heard of them turning down an extension when such a mistake was rectified immediately. If you try to negotiate your way out of it and it doesnt work, a legit agent won't touch you after that.  Get an agent to do it for you. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, do you also have another bank account in your name only.

Immigration will (should) accept two bank accounts that together meet the requirements.

Good advice from drJack, as that should normally solve the matter. 

But in case you do not have another Bank-Account, I would advise when going for your 1-year extension to immediately ask speaking to the Officer in charge and explaining what happened to him/her.  Chances are that the Officer in charge will be lenient - after all it was only a 20 minute breach, which was immediately corrected once you noticed it.  The desk officers will most probably not have the authority to accept your application when they notice that 'gap', and would have to ask the Officer in charge for approval anyway, hence better to plead your case straight away to the Officer in charge. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But if not do you have any other Thai bank account?

That is in your name only

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You can apply using multiple accounts.

Yes, you can, however I know somebody who applied using 2 accounts same bank but different branches (1 Phetchabun and 1 Pattaya) and was refused his extension and was told to go to Pattaya to fix the problem. He is now using an agent who confirmed multiple accounts are OK.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, somo said:

You can take money out of a bank w/o an atm card... 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Chances are that the Officer in charge will be lenient - after all it was only a 20 minute breach, which was immediately corrected once you noticed it. 

That is a huge statement, chances are very high that  he/she will not accept it. Its in direct violation of the extension rules and although IOs do have some discretion, its by no means certain that they will exercise it and I personally would not stake my extension on it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Same day would likely be excused.

But if not do you have any other Thai bank account?

You can apply using multiple accounts.

No other account. The account was in deficit for less than 30 mins so if I smile nicely I am hopeful they would overlook it. I'll apply in the normal way and appolgise in advance for the mistake. They will 100% notice it so best be upfront about it I think. I know they can be sticklers for rules but out here in the sticks they are not so unfriendly as the Bangkok lot.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

That is a huge statement, chances are very high that  he/she will not accept it. Its in direct violation of the extension rules and although IOs do have some discretion, its by no means certain that they will exercise it and I personally would not stake my extension on it. 

I am not risking anything by applying in the usual way. You do seem full of doom and gloom or have you personally fallen foul in such a situation. As someone said above I am sure they have some discretion in the matter. Worst case is reverting to a marriage ext. then going back to retirement next year.

While I am here it is worth pointing out that here I have never been told to keep the account topped up for 4 months and never been asked to show statements for more than 6 months before an application so it seems there is a variation in the rules.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, somo said:

That's what I am hoping. Just depends how the officer I get to see is feeling on the day, I think. Worst case is will have to go back to a marriage extension I suppose.

Unfortunately switching to an extension for reason of marriage is not an option.  Because when changing your extension from retirement to marriage, it is a 2-step process:

First IO will check whether you have met the requirements for the 'retirement' extensions Permit to stay, and only when those requirements have been met, will they then check whether you also meet the requirements for the new 'marriage'  extension application.  But in your case you have not fulfilled the requirement for the retirement extension, as you did not meet the 'never slip under 800K' requirement during the last 2 months of your permission to stay. 

• Like 1