Da  Tang Restaurant

Means Dynasty

Location as noted before

Open daily 

10 am to 2 pm

5 pm to 10 pm

Closed 2 to 5

Chef from Xian China, not sure how many

Xian wheat based cuisine (dumplings, noodles etc,), Sichuan, general Chinese.

Very extensive ambitious menu.

Prices range from low to very high.

Market prices for fish, seafood 

Menu offered on tablet and be sure to ask for the more casual and inexpensive Xian based wheat cuisine menu which is on a plastic card!

No I haven't eaten there yet.

Staff very welcoming especially Rex who I'm guessing is an owner.

On Chinese language app. Maybe Grab later.

They're taking a big risk.

I hope we can reward them if the food quality satisfies.

This is not for western style Chinese food seekers though there are a few dishes that might work for that.

20230423_172347.thumb.jpg.0348a41e47adeaf5a79a1b9fd38ebe00.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting although not really cheap for some of the dishes. Thank you very much ! Mapo Dofu however is below 100 THB. Prices for Sashimi approach the prizing of our favourite and excellent Sushiya which they hardly could rival (who knows ?) and no Hot and Sour Soup, but something similar. Will visit.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

Interesting although not really cheap for some of the dishes. Thank you very much ! Mapo Dofu however is below 100 THB. Prices for Sashimi approach the prizing of our favourite and excellent Sushiya which they hardly could rival (who knows ?) and no Hot and Sour Soup, but something similar. Will visit.

Yeah I didn’t even mention the sashimi since it was it so off theme.

I guess they're hoping to attract rich tables having lavish banquets.

But it's cool that they're also catering to people wanting a regional noodle dish for 150.

That mapo tofu is the meatless version.

I will say when I noticed how extensive their menu is that I considered what a challenge it would be for the kitchen to stock fresh food unless they start getting decent crowds of customers.

Keep in mind this is a brand new restaurant. Today about 11 days old!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I will say when I noticed how extensive their menu is that I considered what a challenge it would be for the kitchen to stock fresh food unless they start getting decent crowds of customers.

Keep in mind this is a brand new restaurant. Today about 11 days old!

I wish them all the luck it needs. The menu features sea cucumber ... which is not my favourite Chinese Dish. I am more the Sweet and Sour Pork guy :cheesy: And of course Peking duck, and Hot and Sour soup and spicy Szechuan dishes, and Gyoza (not the thick wrapper Chinese dumplings, more of the Japanese version). And Mabo Dofu (this the Japanese pronunciation) WITH meat (minced park or chicken) of course. Saw once a YouTube clip about the real Chinese Street food. I woud starve over there if this were all there is to it. They eat everything living, with or without legs. Not my case.

Edited by moogradod

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

I wish them all the luck it needs. The menu features sea cucumber ... which is not my favourite Chinese Dish. I am more the Sweet and Sour Pork guy :cheesy: And of course Peking duck, and Hot and Sour soup and spicy Szechuan dishes, and Gyoza (not the thick wrapper Chinese dumplings, more of the Japanese version). And Mabo Dofu (this the Japanese pronunciation) WITH meat (minced park or chicken) of course. Saw once a YouTube clip about the real Chinese Street food. I woud starve over there if this were all there is to it. They eat everything living, with or without legs. Not my case.

So you wouldn't want to at least try their version of regional dumplings?

I love hot and sour soup too.

As far as Sichuan dishes they have some there.

Particularly Mala Bowls of beef or fish.

Their prices on those are on the high side for the Pattaya market so they would need to be excellent quality to be worth it.

Coincidentally the best version of the fish one that I had locally was in the complex across the road with the 7 11. Similarly high priced but long closed.

Of course I know nothing of their quality yet but it seems to me the smartest place to start there is with the Xian wheat based dishes on the separate menu on a card. Fresh noodles including hand pulled noodles, soups, dumplings, etc.

Heck you might find that you like one of their spiced regional broths as much as hot and sour.

Edited by Jingthing

I have highlighted this restaurant on the Hit and Run topic with the hope that as people start to eat at Da Tang that they post reviews about it there.

Why?

Well in general there has been a soft tradition of doing Pattaya restaurant talk there in a big bucket instead of a separate topic for each restaurant (as there are thousands).

But I know y'all will do what you want so just a suggestion. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 4/23/2023 at 1:52 PM, Jingthing said:

No doubt.

I have had good Thai food there but found their service on the eccentric side. I know many people swear by their duck.

Like many restaurants yes the service, I worked in a Chinese restaurant cleaning up tables when young it is meeting a balance especially if the food is good. The moto never mess with the help LOL. 

I was at T-21 last night with the family a couple of Chinese fast food places one call Hong Kong noodles what look like beef stew over noodles?   

One even advertised a Peking duck?

On 4/23/2023 at 1:24 PM, Celsius said:

Both Chinese and Thai are junk. I only eat American Chinese and westernized Thai. Shoot me.

That's why they came up with American fry rice for you crackers. 

I hear soon a Panda franchise is coming each order comes with fortune cookies. LOL

On the menu is also egg Foo young? 

Edited by thailand49
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Like many restaurants yes the service, I worked in a Chinese restaurant cleaning up tables when young it is meeting a balance especially if the food is good. The moto never mess with the help LOL. 

I was at T-21 last night with the family a couple of Chinese fast food places one call Hong Kong noodles what look like beef stew over noodles?   

One even advertised a Peking duck?

Yayuan at T21 along with <deleted> Man Lou on 2nd road have been very frequent choices for me.

Yayuan has Peking duck. No idea how good.

Yayuan is on Lineman.

<deleted> Man Lou is on Grab and Panda with different menus.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yayuan at T21 along with <deleted> Man Lou on 2nd road have been very frequent choices for me.

Yayuan has Peking duck. No idea how good.

Yayuan is on Lineman.

<deleted> Man Lou is on Grab and Panda with different menus.

That is the place I saw the Picture duck we tried the places few months ago for me it was OK nothing special,  my wife ordered the steam fish found it to be to a bit smelly. Of course my son and daughter went hungry especially her. 

Things are for sure picking up then we were the only customers yesterday 3/4 full. 

56 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

That is the place I saw the Picture duck we tried the places few months ago for me it was OK nothing special,  my wife ordered the steam fish found it to be to a bit smelly. Of course my son and daughter went hungry especially her. 

Things are for sure picking up then we were the only customers yesterday 3/4 full. 

Well they have a number of OK dishes including Sichuan and as stated before most Chinese restaurants closed during the pandemic so it's either make do or nothing.

The other Sichuan one at T21 also famous for dumplings has a very similar menu and prices to the extent that I guess they likely have the same owner.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2023 at 4:38 PM, Jingthing said:

You mean this new place in Jomtien?

If so can you tell us some details about the restaurant and your experience other than not going back?

Because I've grown up near Elmhurst and Flushing.

You go try it and report back.

1 minute ago, NickyLouie said:

Because I've grown up near Elmhurst and Flushing.

You go try it and report back.

I get your reference but people are probably still curious about more details. 

I will do.

Assuming it's a place that I find promising I will probably wait until numerous visits with varied orders to post a substantive review.

That said I think it might be early to judge any restaurant so new.

They are in the shakedown cruise phase.

When I wandered in there 2 weeks ago for a look, I asked to see a menu and he gave me a tablet with pictures on it and Chinese writing.  I asked him about english and he seemed a little surprised.  I'm not sure they really anticipated an English-speaking clientele.

15 minutes ago, LALes said:

When I wandered in there 2 weeks ago for a look, I asked to see a menu and he gave me a tablet with pictures on it and Chinese writing.  I asked him about english and he seemed a little surprised.  I'm not sure they really anticipated an English-speaking clientele.

Look at the PDF at the link I gave above.

You will see English translations of every  dish.

When I looked at the tablet menu at the restaurant there was definutely English.

I think you might need to ask for the one page Xian wheat cuisine on a plastic card menu though. And you should.

Again every dish listed in English.

Maybe they added the English to the PDF tablet since when you were there.

Yes it's common to find Chinese restaurants with no English menu in which case you can try Google translate.

But I want to be clear. In my view there are no English language access issues on Da Tang's menus.

What might be an issue is if you have questions about a dish. But heck that's part of the adventure.

Edited by Jingthing

On 4/21/2023 at 5:34 PM, kinyara said:

Don't know about that one but there is now one halfway along Jomtien Beach Road, by the 7-11 with big parking area out front, that is part of the daily bus tour route, packed every lunchtime with at least 4 big buses parked up. Saw what I thought were a group of Chinese surveying the restaurant straight after lockdown ended and thought they might have been looking to take advantage of the situation.

Part of the 0 dollar China tour group stop overs. 

I'd imagine the food would be awful.  

Chinese will eat anything,  fortunately for the people running the tours. 

31 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Part of the 0 dollar China tour group stop overs. 

I'd imagine the food would be awful.  

Chinese will eat anything,  fortunately for the people running the tours. 

Bus tour joints aren't the best that's for sure.

1 minute ago, NickyLouie said:

Actually the style from Xian region spiced with cumin is really something special.

Oh thanks. I do like cumin spiced Chinese dishes. Both <deleted> Man Lou and Yayuan have a cumin spiced lamb dish that's one of my favorites. I think <deleted> Man Lou's is a little better. Both in the 400 baht range.

It's hard for me to read you. You seemed to indicate you're not a fan of this new place so when you suggested a specific dish, I assumed that you didn't love it.

But now that you mention the cumin yes I'll try it (probably would have entually anyway). 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh thanks. I do like cumin spiced Chinese dishes. Both <deleted> Man Lou and Yayuan have a cumin spiced lamb dish that's one of my favorites. I think <deleted> Man Lou's is a little better. Both in the 400 baht range.

It's hard for me to read you. You seemed to indicate you're not a fan of this new place so when you suggested a specific dish, I assumed that you didn't love it.

But now that you mention the cumin yes I'll try it (probably would have entually anyway). 

Correct, I am a food expert and I actually try new places.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NickyLouie said:

Correct, I am a food expert and I actually try new places.

Glad to hear it. 

As such, I'm wondering if you can suggest some CURRENTLY OPEN authentic regional Chinese food places that haven't been mentioned here and that you happen to like. The thing is there is at least one Chinese food app in Chinese of course so I'm guessing there are places listed there that I don't know about.

Before the pandemic how I found generally unknown places was quite random, basically just finding them by accident walking on streets.

If you prefer to say by PM, that works. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Glad to hear it. 

As such, I'm wondering if you can suggest some CURRENTLY OPEN authentic regional Chinese food places that haven't been mentioned here and that you happen to like. The thing is there is at least one Chinese food app in Chinese of course so I'm guessing there are places listed there that I don't know about.

Before the pandemic how I found generally unknown places was quite random, basically just finding them by accident walking on streets.

If you prefer to say by PM, that works. 

I was told the Thai food here is pretty authentic, perhaps start with that. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NickyLouie said:

I was told the Thai food here is pretty authentic, perhaps start with that. 

OK I'm reading between the lines now.

I'm guessing you're a tourist here, don't live here, being from a great Chinese food place in the US, you would rather focus on Thai food being in Thailand rather than eating Chinese here which won't be as good as the places you like back home.

Makes sense if I've got that right. Emphasis on IF.

Edited by Jingthing