Hua Hin Airport in political limbo until after the Thai election

george

20 minutes ago, george said:

"My personal opinion is that we will see the first international flight land just after the election, although I won't speculate on the significance of that date."

Hehe. Sounds like he knows the new guy/gal being elected will make something happen, that the present one cannot. Good.

Wow, also, "MOU" has become quite the hip business buzzword. The Thais are really keen to such things. The teachers have been throwing it around my school since like 6 months ago.

13 hours ago, george said:

The runway expansion now meets international safety requirements, eliminating the need for additional pilot training and removing a barrier for new airlines. In total, these projects have cost around 250 million baht.

13 hours ago, george said:

Over the past 18 months, we have implemented several changes, such as installing a fence to prevent beach access to the runway and widening the runway from 35 meters to 45 meters.

You were done.

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

That taxi driver estimate of 7 hours was full of poo! Regardless, are we now meant only to fly everywhere in Thailand rather than take buses or trains, I thought we were supposed to be cutting back on emissions, not increasing them....is Boeing anywhere near producing an EV version of the 777! The road from Bangkok to Hua Hin is being widened and improved, the overground railway is also being built out. Let's not have those things AND a functional airport or before you know it HH will become and extension of Bangkok. 

With the way Hua Hins regulations are set, as of right now, construction is limited in many places as well as certain types of venues.  Living here I do not ever see it becoming another Pattaya.  It is already an extension of BKK with many wealthy Thais owning places around us who come on the weekends for a relaxing and enjoyable uncrowded time. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

"Bangkok to Hua Hin is no more than 3 hours by road?" When? Maybe driving at 4 am, but when the construction starts back up and runs for almost 50km's from Samut Prakan up Rama 2 and into BKK, it makes the travel onerous and long.  Took us over 5 hours to return to HH after picking up my daughters from the airport and we drove down here when construction was stopped for Songkran on the 12th.  Heading back today and I will chime in as to what the drive took.  If we had the flight as we used to have to DMK, it was still around 3 hours in total, with check-in, taxiing, take off, flight landing, and then taxiing, and off-loading, but then we landed at the airport.  Fastest I ever made it driving was just under 3 hours and that was from HH to the Sukhumvit area and as I said we left at 4 am.  The construction for the highway is and will continue to make it a problem.  Will be faster by train when they get the new system up and running.

Each to their own. When we drive from the North we take the expressways through and around the city and we always seem to manage it in circa 3 hours but there again we only do it a few times each year rather than often. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of money being allocated with really little vision for the larger picture?   One flight? 

With airport Improvements  what future plans for improvement to Hua Hin  infracture?  a master plan or like elsewhere just take baby steps to build worry about the <deleted>hole that it becomes later. 

• Like 2

There is absolutely NO way that a2 gate airport will be sanctioned into an international airport.

This is not Thailand’s choice or option to decide. This is a choice of the whole aviation industry.

I cannot think of any airport today that has only two Gates (not terminals), as domestic and international.

But no doubt, the oldies and grungiest ASEAN members will be googling to be Mr Meldrew.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Flying is MUCH safer than driving.

Round trip - 4 to 6 hours playing Thai roulette?

No thanks

People still have to drive from home to the airport and from the airport in HH to their hotel etc etc., door to door home wont be any less but the carbon foot print is massive and so much bigger.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Drop the dead donkey said:

There is absolutely NO way that a2 gate airport will be sanctioned into an international airport.

This is not Thailand’s choice or option to decide. This is a choice of the whole aviation industry.

I cannot think of any airport today that has only two Gates (not terminals), as domestic and international.

But no doubt, the oldies and grungiest ASEAN members will be googling to be Mr Meldrew.

Flights from Malaysia would require little extra facilities yet it would still qualify as an international airport.  Hat Yai airport in the South used to be very similar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nigelforbes said:

Flights from Malaysia would require little extra facilities yet it would still qualify as an international airport.  Hat Yai airport in the South used to be very similar.

But Had Yai has been an International airport for over 25 years surely.....I believe I flew from there to Penang a long time ago. Don't see why Hua Hin could not be served.. a few domestic routes would help many from the West of Bangkok too. 

• Like 1

funny in early / late 90s when l lived Hua-hin for 4.5year never was any international flights, odd twin prop plane's small jet 20 seater ! only if or when airport was actually operational periodically closed for runway repairs or overpass extensions ????????  etc,. 

Edited by Mad mick

I live here since 1989, same story since ever. An airport so close to Bangkok has jus not so much appeal for most travelers, especially when most tourists love to visit Bangkok as well, or have no connected flights available. We have had so many one day flies walk in and claim they will get it done. Any foreigner that thinks he can change the authorities mind or way of working is filling himself. It works here only from the top down. International flights to Huahin again? Maybe just the KL connection only. Thats it.