Hua Hin Airport in political limbo until after the Thai election

george

3 minutes ago, Wildliferescue said:

I live here since 1989, same story since ever. An airport so close to Bangkok has jus not so much appeal for most travelers, especially when most tourists love to visit Bangkok as well, or have no connected flights available. We have had so many one day flies walk in and claim they will get it done. Any foreigner that thinks he can change the authorities mind or way of working is filling himself. It works here only from the top down. International flights to Huahin again? Maybe just the KL connection only. Thats it.

News about Airport, the new train station is and was used by real estate agents to sell more developing investment projects and existing projects. The best rumor was the new hidden secret underground high speed station at Bluport. 

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

It would take more time to get to the airport, park, go through security etc... then it would to drive, plus when you arrive you have no transportation now. Totally stupid idea to fly to Hua Hin from BKK.

A tiny airport like HH would only require an hour to check in, go through security and board.

I would like to see HH airport open again if only for the Hertz hire car branch to reopen so i can drop a hire car from swampy off close to where i live

8 minutes ago, WHansen said:

A tiny airport like HH would only require an hour to check in, go through security and board.

I would like to see HH airport open again if only for the Hertz hire car branch to reopen so i can drop a hire car from swampy off close to where i live

The new high speed train will be a good solution going from BKK to south. Estimated 2,5 hours from BKK in comfortable new train. 

3 hours ago, george said:

The dual track should we ready within a year or two, and we will update on the situation as well asap

A year or two?  Are you sure?  This was promised to be finished last year and then people said that it should be finished in the first half of this year with the train to BKK taking about 2.5 hours.  Is this not the case any longer?

A lot of nonsense is being written here about difficulty travelling by road from Hua Hin to Bangkok. For 15 months my wife and I had to travel to Sukhumvit area on Tuesdays and Thursdays for hospital treatment, driving during daytime traffic and the trip was rarely more than 3 hours. A couple of Saturday trips were the same. During torrential rain or maybe big holidays it would be a bit more, once it was 4.5 hours. Once. 

The road is being improved, as we all know. So it will actually get better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

That taxi driver estimate of 7 hours was full of poo! Regardless, are we now meant only to fly everywhere in Thailand rather than take buses or trains, I thought we were supposed to be cutting back on emissions, not increasing them....is Boeing anywhere near producing an EV version of the 777! The road from Bangkok to Hua Hin is being widened and improved, the overground railway is also being built out. Let's not have those things AND a functional airport or before you know it HH will become and extension of Bangkok. 

I see that you give judgments without knowing the situation and you will never have made a trip by car or train from Hua Hin to Bangkok.

Can anyone explain, why planes land and start from/to the land side and never in the direction of the sea? This is totally unusual as landing and starting should be done against the wind. If there is any restriction it may hinder airlines to establish regular flights to Hua Hin.

15 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

That taxi driver estimate of 7 hours was full of poo! Regardless, are we now meant only to fly everywhere in Thailand rather than take buses or trains, I thought we were supposed to be cutting back on emissions, not increasing them....is Boeing anywhere near producing an EV version of the 777! The road from Bangkok to Hua Hin is being widened and improved, the overground railway is also being built out. Let's not have those things AND a functional airport or before you know it HH will become and extension of Bangkok. 

I've driven 5 hours from BKK to Cha Am during holidays, so a 7 hour estimate to Hua Hin is really not that far off. 

I think there is too much focus on Regional airports only flying to & from Bangkok more cross country flights are needed. Chiang Mai to Udon, Ubon & Pattaya (UTP) exist but not on a daily basis. I have to assume the demand is just not there.

Buriram airport - in the middle of no where - is undergoing a major expansion and currently only services Bangkok (DMK). Some one is looking to the future when the sea level rises & "swampy" can only cater for sea planes.

However in the short term I think the Thais like their big family orientated SUVs & Pick Ups too much to consider flying for them the motor car is king and makes sense. It is not uncommon for families to drive from Chiang Mai to south of Hua Hin.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even more realistic, how does a petty political dispute over a regional airport reflect of any such importance to the everyday Thai. 

Edited by Pink Mist
Quoted post removed.

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Even more realistic, how does a petty political dispute over a regional airport reflect of any such importance to the everyday Thai. 

Significantly. If it means being limited to the ultra choked highways getting to one of the Bangkok airports. Thailand desperately needs transportation alternatives. They are decades behind the curve. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Significantly. If it means being limited to the ultra choked highways getting to one of the Bangkok airports. Thailand desperately needs transportation alternatives. They are decades behind the curve. 

The overwhelming percentage of everyday Thais don't fly domestically - the preferred method is ground transport of one variety or another......therefore [this invented issue] has very little impact on everyday life.

Not terribly observant are we?

Near to the end of March, we went by a Pick-Up of a family member from BKK(main Airport) to Hua Hin:

6 hours - thanks to the normal traffic jam at this time. And a lot of people had the same problem.

For returning to CNX (Chiang Mai), nearly 1.000 km away, we left Hua Hin by Airs Asia. Flight time: ~1:30h.

@Mr. Nigelforbes, what do you think about the air pollution, if everybody had used a car from HH to CNX, particularly a SUV, a Benz, BMW and /or other Diesel-cars?

Result: nearly a full daylight pollution ... and as normal hier in Thailand some car accidents.

From our viewpoint not more fuel pollution than by all the cars. Hua Hin airport would help to reduce the traffic and air pollution on both airports of Bangkok withpout going there ... and directly  to HH.

(DMG+BKK).

People in the North and NE could fly more comfortably to the cities in the gulf area by avoiding pollution around the Bangkok monster.