Thailand notches highest temperature on record as 'monster' heat wave roasts Southeast Asia

snoop1130

On 4/21/2023 at 8:36 PM, spidermike007 said:

The poor air quality and fires are likely a contributing cause. Not sure what we are going to do it if gets much hotter. Is Thailand the new Africa? 

Burnings will likely to reduce the amount of energy reaching earth through the atmosphere.

11 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Been there. It's not a good time to have air conditioning units repaired or installed. The thing is most people wait until the hot time of year before they have their units serviced (or at least try to).

Mine was running fine until I turned it on one lunchtime and while the fan blew the compressor didn't run and no cold air came out. I am still waiting for the gut to come and clean it, fix it or tell us we need a new one.

A/c is not one of my skill sets.

Big storm about to hit Pattaya, starting to rain just now. Lots of thunder. Hopefully this will end the heat wave.

I can hear the airconditioners clicking off as I write this. Lovely and cool.

Edited by ozimoron

2 hours ago, tropo said:

The easiest way to prove you wrong is by going into a sauna and putting some water on the coals. I guarantee it will feel twice as hot.

Maybe I have 2 dimensional sensory perception where others have 1, but when throwing water on the "coals" in our sauna I feel like the temperature remained constant, but it became more humid. It also feels more comfortable to me because I don't particularly like hot, dry environments. 

I figured that was a relatively common perception, because most seem enthusiastic about throwing water and increasing humidity in saunas.

It seems very odd to me to describe increased humidity as "hotter". Almost like one is unable to differentiate between the two.

Edited by ftpjtm

On 4/22/2023 at 12:09 PM, RPCVguy said:

Thanks for bringing in both a source of data AND a mention of the El Nino that is forming. Here is another site that lets people see the current forecast and compare it to historical averages. I like that it maps the data. The root site gives far more options.
https://climatereanalyzer.org/wx/fcst_outlook/?dm_id=asia-lea2&ndays=d1-3

From that site, the maximum temperatures map choice across the region as captured on Wednesday is in this image. The whitish color indicates temperatures over 40ºC. People looking at the mapping of temperature anomaly will see that Thailand , and SE Asia in general is warmer than average. The global news did get kicked into attention when the April 14th temperatures broke a lot of records, notably in Tak, which was recorded to have hit 45.4ºC.
Apr19-21TempMax.png.d051a3eb128122469da08e8655085f2d.png

The historical data for specific satellite readings on heat, humidity, misery index, pollution and more can be accessed at this site.
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2023/04/18/0700Z/wind/surface/level/overlay=temp/orthographic=-265.36,17.23,1823/loc=99.429,16.842

El Nino is VERY worth mentioning because during El Nino the oceans release more of their heat to the atmosphere than during La Nina (when the heat gets stored into ocean depths.) As El Nino arrives FOUR different indicators are in a bad starting position. Here is how (with references)
♦ Sea Surface temperatures are at a record high, have been so since early March, and are not yet dropping as past years have done.
https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/
♦ All 3 persistent greenhouse gases are at record high concentrations, trapping more heat into Earth's system
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/monthly.html
♦ We are entering this summer with the 2nd lowest Arctic Sea Ice Volume on record. (We also know the waters beneath the ice are warmer than in past years.
http://polarportal.dk/fileadmin/polarportal/sea/CICE_curve_thick_LA_EN_20230414.png
♦ Solar radiance cycle is on its pattern of increase and will increase into 2026.
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/solar-cycle-progression

Besides talking about the weather, I like tracking it - as demonstrated in my earlier post. Besides those above links is one that issues comprehensive reports with monthly and YTD data. It is https://berkeleyearth.org/about/
The report for March came out in mid-April and I'm linking to one of its images. It shows average monthly data and color codes in shades of red or blue the locations that experienced temperatures in the recorded top 5 for heat or cold.
Month_rank_map-1024x577.jpg.66fe1683c5f45e45fbe43c58d573ac5d.jpg

The monthly report shows images for the average temperature range, but this image is good for highlighting extremes. It is just one of the many images mapped and graphed at https://berkeleyearth.org/march-2023-temperature-update/ ... Sometime in mid-May we'll get to see which parts of the world had record  (or near record) heat in April. I'll vouch for this being a miserably uncomfortable month here in the far north of Thailand; I rarely use our air conditioner, but this past week I used it daily. What would be interesting would be people predicting what degree of red will appear in what locations in Thailand. I expect shades of red to appear over northern Thailand. Yet, as the meteorologist noted in his story, April is always hot in Thailand. We await sufficient rain and monsoons to cool things.

Talking about the weather is a strong part of human culture. It affects our comfort, our ability to work, play, travel, ... or have a successful crop season. At its extremes it can threaten our lives. In the short term talk is cheap and we can't do much about it other than seek shelter and hope the power does not go out. Here is the El Nino forecast listed on that March update:

"a 60% chance of a shift to El Niño conditions during the middle or end of 2023. Models currently disagree on the intensity of the possible El Niño, with some models predicting a very strong event, while others are more moderate. The developing warm pool in the Pacific will likely give us a clearer idea of what to expect within a few months."

It closes that topic stating:

"it is likely that any El Niño will have a greater impact on 2024 global temperatures than it does on 2023."

Since the HOT season for Thailand is in April and May, Thailand won't truly see the El Nino extreme heat effects until April of next
year. As for some of the commentary that I'm sure will follow. There is a swamp of misinformation and snide commenting posted on sites like this. Misinformation won't change what the weather will do, but it may cause good people to suffer consequences of being ill-prepared.

FakeWentViral.jpg.0f0b69c36bba41b29ecbf3519cfdd63b.jpg

On 4/22/2023 at 8:34 AM, ftpjtm said:

I spent an hour exercising in the local outdoor exercise park this morning. The thermometer read 33° and it felt like 33° to me...

Was the thermometer in the shade or in the sun?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 10:26 AM, tropo said:

All your links are written by climate change devoties trying to prove a point. It's not good unbiased data.  

Above you wrote or copied and pasted from somewhere: 

"The Earth is warming and the insulation level of greenhouse gases are now at levels not seen for the last 3 million years."

Seriously? Who saw the temperatures 3 million years ago? This is absolute nonsense and makes a mockery of the analysis.

There are not precise temperature readings all over the world since 1880. Maybe in a few limited locations, but not worldwide. For wall we know, the slow gain since 1900 (or so) in some locations, a very small gain, could just be a cyclic variation of 100 years or so. It's impossible to know as the data does not exist.

Thank you sir for exposing all these climate zealot experts.They've been predicting false disasters for 50 years already.I'm sick of hearing from the doom and gloom brigade.Al Gore went from a nobody ex politition to a muti millionaire climate expert.Phony as a $3 bill along with the retarded Greta "how dare you" what a crock of <deleted>.

• Thumbs Up 1