What's life like for a single older expat in isaan?

georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

It's all about opinions. You have yours and others have there's.

Just because you seem to dislike Isaan it doesn't mean it isn't a nice place. 

Mind you, for someone to dislike Isaan really is going some. I doubt they've covered all of it.

By the way, my wife usxan exceptional  woman. An Issan lady through and through. She loves here home and birth place.

Totally agree. I like Nong Khai but think That Phanom is lame. Each town is different. 

If looking for a good town write down your top 5 interests then match with suitable options. 

Say food, western or Thai or regional

Beaches or mountains

Quiet or busy city

Road trips nearby

Other activities

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Mind you, for someone to dislike Isaan really is going some. I doubt they've covered all of it.

Love Issan to death, but C'mon. No one needs to see every square foot of it.

If you go to America, you don't have to visit Alabama AND Mississippi. You can even just skim the redneck riviera of N. Florida and call it done.

In Issan, the towns are also very spread out and usually lack distinctive downtowns. I once flew by mistake to Udon instead of Ubon and didn't realize it for 2 days.

Only Ethnographers and Lonely Planet writers need more than 2 weeks in Issan.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

If you go to America, you don't have to visit Alabama AND Mississippi. You can even just skim the redneck riviera of N. Florida and call it done.

In Issan, the towns are also very spread out and usually lack distinctive downtowns. I once flew by mistake to Udon instead of Ubon and didn't realize it for 2 days.

Watched Youtuber Paddy Doyle about a year or two ago when he was looking to go to every bit of Thailand. When he got to Issan I think even he found it hard to build enthusiasm as each town and place seemed like the same as the one the day before. 

Just now, LaosLover said:

Issan, the towns are also very spread out and usually lack distinctive downtowns. I once flew by mistake to Udon instead of Ubon and didn't realize it for 2 days.

I find that hard to believe. The towns are totally different and the plane ticket says the destination. 

Like saying I went to Pattaya and thought I was in Bangkok.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Without travelling extensively within Isaan you would not have enough knowledge about the diversity to say you don't like it.

Edited by youreavinalaff

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

If looking for a good town write down your top 5 interests then match with suitable options. 

Say food, western or Thai or regional

Beaches or mountains

Quiet or busy city

Road trips nearby

Other activities

Be with wife

Beahes and mountains

Quiet even when we are in BKK, a quiet hotel close to busy area

Small scale farming

Road trips around Thailand, lifting weights, Kayaking and motorbikes on and off road

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Watched Youtuber Paddy Doyle about a year or two ago when he was looking to go to every bit of Thailand. When he got to Issan I think even he found it hard to build enthusiasm as each town and place seemed like the same as the one the day before. 

On a scooter riding 200km a day. Terrible idea. Doyle cannot even pronounce the town names correctly. He also said Hat Yai and Songkhla were awesome - his new favourite cities. Every 2nd city is his new favourite. In one video he said he wanted to move to Khon Kaen. Then he wanted to move to Hat Yai or Songkhla. He also rates Samui highly. These vloggers are full of it.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

There is nice places if you know where to look for it, but any city outside the foreign tourist loops, is pretty much the same be it Isan or where ever in Thailand. However smaller districts have its charm if you take your time and travel outside the main centers, and often where Thai people go holidays as well. 

I am fine living in Issan, but cannot deal with the snakes sneaking into my house and bathroom.  I go to bathroom twice a night and would not want anything else to join me....55555.

Everything else is gravy....especially if you love to read books and stream great shows.

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Without travellibg extensively within Isaan you would not have enough knowledge about the diversity to say you don't like it.

How big of an Issan travel dick do I need to play? I was once on a first name basis with Nobby, the Germanic smoke house god in Nong Khai, In a perfect world, he'd weigh in.

This is just another passive aggressive conversation killer from someone with absolutely nothing to say.

The story of me ending up in the wrong U-place is funny. But no one asked me to tell it. So I can't. As I understand it, it's not someone's business.

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

There is nice places if you know where to look for it, but any city outside the foreign tourist loops, is pretty much the same be it Isan or where ever in Thailand. However smaller districts have its charm if you take your time and travel outside the main centers, and often where Thai people go holidays as well. 

Must admit I enjoyed my time in Ubon and surrounds. The candle festival seemed really natural and happy. Isn't a lot of Thai food from Issan? The music is the best. Girlfriend from Issan too. 

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

On a scooter riding 200km a day. Terrible idea. Doyle cannot even pronounce the town names correctly. He also said Hat Yai and Songkhla were awesome - his new favourite cities. Every 2nd city is his new favourite. In one video he said he wanted to move to Khon Kaen. Then he wanted to move to Hat Yai or Songkhla. He also rates Samui highly. These vloggers are full of it.

Agree...there are too many vloggers saying the same thing and looking for "content".  I also hate their bait and switch youtube vids.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

Seemed like a nice guy. The novelty of him and Dreamy wore thin pretty fast. 

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Paddy spent 4 or 5 days in each province on a scooter. I went to some of the same places and covered more things in 2 or 3 days in a car. Have a look at his Kalasin video. 50% is on the dinosaur museum. 

I loved my 12 years in The John Denver fabled Blue Ridge Mountains (I know,I know, nobody asked -the whole vexing conversation thing). Awe-inspiring.

I've likewise taken every day train line through Issan and marveled at the Texas-tropical beauty of it.

But were those trains rides extensive? I'm going to guess no in advance.

If I were moving to the states for first time, would I pick Appalachia for someone?

Only if they love Jesus and meth.

Issan?

Only if you really want to love Statue-Buddha, not big thinker-Buddha -and fight to date a karaoke singer at a night club in nowheresville.

• Haha 2

No reason to bother with Issan unless you want some crappy food and almost no nightlife. 

Udon Thani and Khon Kaen are exceptions.

I can't wait to leave Issan.   Probably just come back occasionally with the wife for a weekend visit every few years at most. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

Agree...there are too many vloggers saying the same thing and looking for "content".  I also hate their bait and switch youtube vids.  

How long and detailed should a v-log about Kalisan be? Longer than Eyes Wide Shut?

Must every rusted tin roof be explored? Leave no son tam unturned!!!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

How big of an Issan travel dick do I need to play? I was once on a first name basis with Nobby, the Germanic smoke house god in Nong Khai, In a perfect world, he'd weigh in.

This is just another passive aggressive conversation killer from someone with absolutely nothing to say.

The story of me ending up in the wrong U-place is funny. But no one asked me to tell it. So I can't. As I understand it, it's not someone's business.

Oh dear. How strange. Never mind.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Taboo2 said:

In Khon Kaen he showed zero nightlife or night market. Spends 33% talking about his bike problems or having stomach issues. How about showing us a music bar or the live music at the night market. Or perhaps a good hotel with pool under 800 baht. Or a temple outside town with no tourists followed by a good local restaurant. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

How long and detailed should a v-log about Kalisan be? Longer than Eyes Wide Shut?

Must every rusted tin roof be explored? Leave no son tam unturned!!!!

There is a very good temple near the museum he missed with views. Ran out of time. Had to talk for 10 minutes about Dreamy.

Just now, bignok said:

There is a very good temple near the museum he missed with views. 

"He missed a museum with some old broken pottery shards in it -and the views!!!! He missed the views!!!!

He's a young guy pitching to other young viewers -why don't they care about that museum like I do!?!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, LaosLover said:

"He missed a museum with some old broken pottery shards in it -and the views!!!! He missed the views!!!!

He's a young guy pitching to other young viewers -why don't they care about that museum like I do!?!

He is 36 or 38. Not so young. 33% talking about "Dreamy" and 50% on a dinoaur museum isnt going to win the younger crowds.

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

We had a beloved poster here for a while who travelled Issan far and wide, looking for a good girl. No moo ban wet market was too small to try exchanging a few furtive glances with some devout Buddhist who lives with her mom in. He came up empty. 

This beloved poster, how old, what was his appearance and did he have the language skills to chat up a young Issan woman? If the typical expat he was at least 60 with a belly dressed sloppy and no local language skills. Did he expect to just roll in and have the "good girl" open her legs after a few furtive glances?

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

50% on a dinoaur museum isnt going to win the younger crowds.

Issan isn't ever going to get many young tourists (or old ones either). Yeah, even despite those views, those views -which were just derangedly just "missed". The young, they want views. Lots of them.

You have to come to Thailand many times to want to take an Issan vacation. For 20 baht more on the pad thai, you could be on a beach or in a cultural center.

Only very few people regard a dinosaur museum as a cultural center. Very few people is code speak for:

You.