What's life like for a single older expat in isaan?

georgegeorgia

37 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Exactly my thought to! If single again, I would be touring a few Asian and South America destinations again, and Im not sure I would live a life alone anywhere to be true. I just cant see myself as alone at all, I enjoy female company to much.

If single and fit travel is the go. Staying in one spot makes sense if settled or busy working only. 

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Plenty of expats living alone all along the coast from Ban Chang to Koh Chang, social life is good if that's what you want, Bars and Restaurants and near the sea. 

Yes nice area. Have driven it. Chang and Kood amazing islands. Airport in Trat. Pattaya close if want. If it had a train line it would be ideal.

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

If single and fit travel is the go. Staying in one spot makes sense if settled or busy working only. 

Define "one spot"

I live for 20 years in Bangkok, and I am sure even if I travel the next 20 years within Bangkok, I still won't have seen every spot of it.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Define "one spot"

I live for 20 years in Bangkok, and I am sure even if I travel the next 20 years within Bangkok, I still won't have seen every spot of it.

Yes but it is same same in suburbs. No beaches or mountains. Not the same as going to Phattalung or Khanom or Ko Chang or another country. If single and able travel is outstanding in this region. 

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I am concerned the only reason to move to Isaan, or the desert, would be an exceptional woman.

But then, which exceptional woman would want to live in such a place? 

The exceptional women in Issan would most likely be found at the bus station, leaving Issan, for greener pastures.

We had a beloved poster here for a while who travelled Issan far and wide, looking for a good girl. No moo ban wet market was too small to try exchanging a few furtive glances with some devout Buddhist who lives with her mom in. He came up empty. 

"Clearly lacking?". I think so.

• Like 1

Very few older single farang men in Isarn cities and even less in the rural parts. Pretty well all the guys are either married or in relationships. There's more for single farang men, both young and old, in or close to the hubs, like Pattaya, BKK, Chiang Mai, Phuket and so on. Guys like me who live in the NE boonies are in long relationships and we're only here because that's where our wives/partners are from. 

• Like 2

The more pertinent question for me is would I stay should my wife pass before me.  My current thought is to return to my home country even though my saying goodbye to my wife's extended family and my step granddaughter would be wrenching as I doubt if I would ever return to visit. 

How would I ever explain my crooked path through life to people in my new life, but probably easier than dealing with always being a mystery to people who have never strayed very far from the village. 

Living in Isan is completely alone it would be like living as a hermit, there would be nothing interesting to do. Apart from the two cities UD and KK everything would be deadly and very enjoyable to live.

But if one seeks absolute calm and is satisfied with local food it might be what he is looking for.

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

It depends, I think I would like to try out living say in Udon Thani in a condo for say 6 months

What would life be like ,well I have been to UT but only for short duration, living there it's a city now so has big gyms the only thing missing is sex workers as much anyway 

Probably financially it would be the same as Pattaya renting a condo in Udon Thani 

As for being a single expat in rural isaan I'm too scared to try it , I mean if I was use to the country feeling and maybe a loner I could do it 

Rent a house in a village,is that even possible being a single old farang?

If your too scared to try it and it's not for you why in the world would you post this discussion? Haven't you already decided it's not for you? 

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Mine is 9.5.

Did you meet her in Issan? 

I find this claim to be clearly lacking. Not just generically lacking, but you know, clearly lacking. Like, lacking in a way that a face-down brit drooling on a sodden Weatherspoon's bar mat could discern as clearly lacking.

When I wanted to study Issan folk religion, I went Pattaya, not Ubon.

There I met the English-speaking, western-comfortable practitioners who were happy to talk about it. In Issan, beyond the lack of English, there was shyness and even suspicion about my curiosity. From there, I ventured out into the field with more cosmopolitan Issan people.

My plan -was it clearly lacking? Hopefully someone who plucked his Noi out of a rice paddy will weigh in.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

If single and able travel is outstanding in this region. 

I live in Bangkok in a tourist area. I am one of the "locals". I know the taxi no meter and they know me and maybe we say hello to each other, but they won't hassle me.

I see how they and others every minute of the day hassle tourists. It seems to me nobody likes tourists. Vendors like the money and they like that many tourists don't know the local prices. But that's it.

And I don't want to be such a tourist.

If we travel anywhere, we are tourist. We are the stupid new arrivals who don't know where to go and how much to pay. Personally, I don't like that. So I don't travel to foreign places, and I am not one of those tourist. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

Did you meet her in Issan? 

I find this claim to be clearly lacking. Not just generically lacking, but you know, clearly lacking. Like, lacking in a way that a face-down brit drooling on a sodden Weatherspoon's bar mat could discern as clearly lacking.

When I wanted to study Issan folk religion, I went Pattaya, not Ubon.

There I met the English-speaking, western-comfortable practitioners who were happy to talk about it. In Issan, beyond the lack of English, there was shyness and even suspicion about my curiosity. From there, I ventured out into the field with more cosmopolitan Issan people.

My plan -was it clearly lacking? Hopefully someone who plucked his Noi out of a rice paddy will weigh in.

Quality women exist in any part. To attract a quality woman however you have to be a quality man. Most farangs in Isaan are poor quality. So they get 7s or 4s. 

Millions of women live in Isaan. They don't all want to live in Bangkok or Pattaya. Mine hates Bangkok, likes Chiang Mai. Enjoys the quiet life.

If you want a big city girl find one from Bangkok. If you want a quiet girl go to smaller towns. If you want a bargirl go to Pattaya. You won't find bananas on an apple tree.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I live in Bangkok in a tourist area. I am one of the "locals". I know the taxi no meter and they know me and maybe we say hello to each other, but they won't hassle me.

I see how they and others every minute of the day hassle tourists. It seems to me nobody likes tourists. Vendors like the money and they like that many tourists don't know the local prices. But that's it.

And I don't want to be such a tourist.

If we travel anywhere, we are tourist. We are the stupid new arrivals who don't know where to go and how much to pay. Personally, I don't like that. So I don't travel to foreign places, and I am not one of those tourist. 

The price of things across Thailand is fairly standard. Take away Nana and river trips and shopping malls what does Bangkok have? Just a whole heap of people rushing around. It is a mess. 

Did you meet your partner in Issan? I can't recall any such stories and would be very interested in hearing it. And obv, most Issan people working in tourist areas aren't on the game.

My wife is from Appalachia, or as I call it, White Haiti. No double-way would I have ever met her if I moved there. 

Just now, LaosLover said:

Did you meet your partner in Issan? I can't recall any such stories and would be very interested in hearing it. And obv, most Issan people working in tourist areas aren't on the game.

My wife is from Appalachia, or as I call it, White Haiti. No double-way would I have ever met her if I moved there. 

I don't know you. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

The price of things across Thailand is fairly standard. Take away Nana and river trips and shopping malls what does Bangkok have? Just a whole heap of people rushing around. It is a mess. 

It has everything. I have more options within a radius of 2km than anybody outside of Bangkok. 

To be fair, that does not include nature.

But I always think it's funny when for the family up country a day trip to Big-C is a big event. Even the next 7/11 is for them kilometers away. I have at least 5 or them in walking distance. 

• Haha 1

I respect your boundaries. You're on an internet chat board, but you're also hiding out in the witness protection program. We're good.

Your answer does not fall within the parameters of "clearly lacking", more like a Marcel Marceau imitation.

• Haha 2

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

It has everything. I have more options within a radius of 2km than anybody outside of Bangkok. 

But I always think it's funny when for the family up country a day trip to Big-C is a big event. Even the next 7/11 is for them kilometers away. I have at least 5 or them in walking distance. 

Caves and beaches in Sukhumvit now? Mountain views? It has loads of cars and people. You must love busy.

I find Sukhumvit fun for 3 days. Like Patong. 3 days I'm done. Top fun. Time to leave.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Agreed. My recent stay on soi 33 had more restaurants and interesting bars than half of the Old City in Chiang Mai.

To be in the countryside, you really have to like growing things. Otherwise, you will find it to be clearly lacking, not just run of the mill-lacking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

Agreed. My recent stay on soi 33 had more restaurants and interesting bars than half of the Old City in Chiang Mai.

To be in the countryside, you really have to like growing things. Otherwise, you will find it to be clearly lacking, not just run of the mill-lacking.

Or motorbikes or bike riding or running or fishing. 

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Or motorbikes or bike riding or running or fishing. 

Wot? No fish farm at the Soi 7 beer garden? No ancient petrographs, you say? Nary a single wat made out of beer bottles?  I demand a recount!".

Edited by LaosLover

7 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

What is an interesting bar? 240 baht for a beer to look at some pretty decorations whilst pretending to like some citrus flavoured beer that tastes like washing up liquid.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bignok said:

What is an interesting bar? 240 baht for a beer to look at some pretty decorations whilst pretending to like some citrus flavoured beer that tastes like washing up liquid.

I can't answer you.

You didn't explicitly ask me to answer you, so by your way of thinking, I can't. Ever.

You don't KNOW me -like a brother- so I can't answer you. Nor should you ever be held to account and brought up short by aimless time wasters making small talk -which is how you see it. Again, I'm respecting that wacky boundary.

I think Yahoo News, where you're just yelling blindly into a gaping internet maw and no one ever answers back would be a good fit for you. No one will ever cross examine you there as to whether or not your wife really was or wasn't a hotel desk clerk when you met.

Most furiously declaiming thrifters are just broke and jealous. It's not principle, it's that extra quid for a beer. In a bar with actual walls. And A/C. Not 'affin it, am I right?

I'm an unusual person here since I did come from a city, moved to a country setting, got sick of it, and now crave city life.

I know, I know, no one specifically ASKED me to tell that, least of all you, deep in Issan seclusion with your blinds drawn.

But many people of even middling social acumen like to share a laugh or two about where they come from.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I am concerned the only reason to move to Isaan, or the desert, would be an exceptional woman.

But then, which exceptional woman would want to live in such a place? 

It's all about opinions. You have yours and others have there's.

Just because you seem to dislike Isaan it doesn't mean it isn't a nice place. 

Mind you, for someone to dislike Isaan really is going some. I doubt they've covered all of it.

By the way, my wife usxan exceptional  woman. An Issan lady through and through. She loves here home and birth place.

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I can't answer you.

You didn't explicitly ask me to answer you, so by your way of thinking, I can't. Ever.

You don't KNOW me -like a brother- so I can't answer you. Nor should you ever be held to account and brought up short by aimless time wasters making small talk -which is how you see it. Again, I'm respecting that wacky boundary.

I think Yahoo News, where you're just yelling blindly into a gaping internet maw and no one ever answers back would be a good fit for you. No one will ever cross examine you there as to whether or not your wife really was or wasn't a hotel desk clerk when you met.

Most furiously declaiming thrifters are just broke and jealous. It's not principle, it's that extra quid for a beer. In a bar with actual walls. And A/C. Not 'affin it, am I right?

I'm an unusual person here since I did come from a city, moved to a country setting, got sick of it, and now crave city life.

I know, I know, no one specifically ASKED me to tell that, least of all you, deep in Issan seclusion with your blinds drawn.

But many people of even middling social acumen like to share a laugh or two about where they come from.

I have no idea what any of that means. Chok dee.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1