What's life like for a single older expat in isaan?

georgegeorgia

48 minutes ago, bignok said:

Ao Nang has about 30 Indian  restaurants

I don't see the connection, your original comment infers that there is a lack of Westerners, lack of western restaurants, lack of diverse culture in Issan. The comment I quoted corrects you.

For crying out loud, you are now telling us that Ao Nang is the center of the cultural universe .. LOL. It's a tourist ghetto. Even when I lived in Krabi province, I would never go there.

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I don't see the connection, your original comment infers that there is a lack of Westerners, lack of western restaurants, lack of diverse culture in Issan. The comment I quoted corrects you.

For crying out loud, you are now telling us that Ao Nang is the center of the cultural universe .. LOL. It's a tourist ghetto. Even when I lived in Krabi province, I would never go there.

2 Indian restaurants is cultural diversity? Pattaya might have 100 of each major group.

Ao Nang is tiny yet has a lot more than Khon Kaen.

Edited by bignok

3 hours ago, bignok said:

2 Indian restaurants is cultural diversity? Pattaya might have 100 of each major group.

Ao Nang is tiny yet has a lot more than Khon Kaen.

Pattaya and Ao Nong are tourist spots. 

The Indian restaurants in KK were used as examples of food available. Not cultural diversity.

So, what is your point?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, puchooay said:

Why post incorrect, outdated information if you don't care? Strange.

Some people love to live on a farm in Thailand's Northeast, others want to move to North Korea, or the desert. Good for you if this is your thing...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Some people love to live on a farm in Thailand's Northeast, others want to move to North Korea, or the desert. Good for you if this is your thing...

That still doesn't explain why you wrote a load of rubbish about Isaan when it seems you've likely never even been there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, puchooay said:

That still doesn't explain why you wrote a load of rubbish about Isaan when it seems you've likely never even been there.

That is rubbish. I've been there, and I found it absolutely boring. But if you like to live, like the OP wrote, on a farm there or in the sticks, go for it!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Must be very lonely and boring, a bit like living like a monk in a far-away area, unless you can make friends with local people. Living on a farm or house (who owns it?) far from big supermarkets, and restaurants serving Western food, you would possibly need to get used to mostly eating local food, only watching Thai TV, and having slow internet. Can't imagine why one would do this.

Everything gets boring after awhile, even in paradise! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That is rubbish. I've been there, and I found it absolutely boring. But if you like to live, like the OP wrote, on a farm there or in the sticks, go for it!

Tell us where you live and what you do to spice it up? 

Edited by Hummin

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Everything gets boring after awhile, even in paradise! 

True. But I'm an active and inquisitive person, and I could think of thousands of other places where I would rather live than in Isan's countryside. (Just my opinion. Others may enjoy it there for whatever reason...)

16 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You clearly have not kept up with the posts on the thread and are basing your comments on a visit you made. 

When did you visit Isaan and how long did you stay? Which province did you stay in? 

4 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

True. But I'm an active and inquisitive person, and I could think of thousands of other places where I would rather live than in Isan's countryside. (Just my opinion. Others may enjoy it there for whatever reason...)

Isaan cities arent that boring. Lots of outdoor things if in Loei or Ubon. Buriram major football stadium.

7 hours ago, puchooay said:

You clearly have not kept up with the posts on the thread and are basing your comments on a visit you made. 

When did you visit Isaan and how long did you stay? Which province did you stay in? 

I think wherever you are, you need to make something of it.

If you live up here, you need projects, you need to get along with others who you meet, it helps if you are the kind of person to see another water buffalo up to its neck in water and think it’s a quaint scene. You need to be a bit self sufficient. For me, that’s far from boring but maybe I can appreciate it.  

On 4/22/2023 at 8:57 PM, bignok said:

He is 36 or 38. Not so young. 33% talking about "Dreamy" and 50% on a dinoaur museum isnt going to win the younger crowds.

Not many people,  young or old really care about temples.   That's definitely not on the radar when you visit Thailand. 

Once is good enough for a lifetime. 

27 minutes ago, bignok said:

Been to 80+ temples

Are you a monk or just a glutten for punishment? 

Joking. 

There is one Temple I brIng visitors who come and stay with us.   It's atop a mountai.  It's really cool. 

Phu Tok Mountain Temple. 

Screenshot_20230424_104418_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230424_104142_Chrome.jpg

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Pattaya and Ao Nong are tourist spots. 

The Indian restaurants in KK were used as examples of food available. Not cultural diversity.

So, what is your point?

Give me food choices over culture diversity anytime. 

17 minutes ago, bignok said:

I like them. Better than sitting in bars. Most are free. Some have great views. No strict dress code in most. Some have caves as well.

Good on you. 

I'm more of a city guy.   But to each his own.   

Definitely save money.

4 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Good on you. 

I'm more of a city guy.   But to each his own.   

Definitely save money.

Have to buy petrol if far but otherwise free. Mrs loves them. I like them too. If walking up a hill good exercise.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Must be very lonely and boring, a bit like living like a monk in a far-away area, unless you can make friends with local people. Living on a farm or house (who owns it?) far from big supermarkets, and restaurants serving Western food, you would possibly need to get used to mostly eating local food, only watching Thai TV, and having slow internet. Can't imagine why one would do this.

Or you could buy an IPTV package, drive to the city and load up your freezer with Farang food, and return home. Thai internet is much faster than what I had in Scotland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stereolab said:

Or you could buy an IPTV package, drive to the city and load up your freezer with Farang food, and return home. Thai internet is much faster than what I had in Scotland.

That's what you do if you want to live in Issan and actually enjoy it.  Nice home with infinity pool, good internet, android box to access basically anything on TV. 

I've got kids also.   Time flies with a functional family and a nice abode. 

Stock up on food from Makro, Villa Mkt, Topps,  etc. 

In the end though I'd prefer being close to a city and beach,  Isssn can be tough to live.

• Thumbs Up 1